Home » General » Technical Help » More Apple Shenanigans
More Apple Shenanigans [message #298026] Wed, 26 July 2017 20:34 Go to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
Last weekend I updated the iPhone to the latest iOS, 12.3.3.
And immediately started to regret it. WiFi started to drop for no reason, requiring the phone to be restarted to reconnect and finally stopped working altogether. For good measure Bluetooth is gone as well.
Like the good idiot that I am, I tried following Apple's useless checklist, realizing they were leading me by the nose before a factory reset. This is 100% a firmware issue.

I am very tempted to take the phone back to Apple (it's still under warranty... theoretically) but I suspect it won't do me any good. The phone and screen are sound, but the case is quite scuffed, so they'll somehow find some way to bill me for twice what the phone is worth. Wink

Advice/Experience?

Thanks.
Re: More Apple Shenanigans [message #298027 is a reply to message #298026] Wed, 26 July 2017 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spagiratwink is currently offline  spagiratwink   United Kingdom
(4) WSS Racer
Sorry Kak ,I cant help at all , I'm pretty much 2 tin cans and a bit of string as far as mobiles go Sad
Re: More Apple Shenanigans [message #298032 is a reply to message #298027] Thu, 27 July 2017 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
despite having iphones from 3GS upto 6S, all models inbetween and an ipad mini, I've never visited an Apple store for a Genuis appointment as aside from usually having my phone jailbroken (which they wouldn't like), I suspect I'd get stung or worse have my iphone updated (or replaced) with another one thats bang upto date on iOS and therefore unjailbreakable until the next JB exploit is released which could be months/years away.

I assume after you updated to 10.3.3 (I think 12.3.3 must be typo), you restored your data/settings from an itunes backup?

If so you could try SETTINGS -> GENERAL -> RESET and just try the RESET NETWORK SETTINGS. This will loose all your current wifi network passwords so you'll have to rejoin networks you use but it might solve your problem as it could be conflicts between old stored settings from the itunes backup of the lower iOS version you had before and the new version.

Re: More Apple Shenanigans [message #298043 is a reply to message #298026] Thu, 27 July 2017 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
Yes, it's 10.3.3.

I think (think) I've solved the WiFi problem. IOS updates tend to run background processes for days to allow people to use the phone while updates are being applied. You can tell this by increased battery use after an update. Wink
So yesterday evening I turned off the phone and let it "cook" overnight. And today the WiFi seems to be working again.
Bluetooth is another matter completely. It's stuck in the feared "doom loop", meaning the cursor just spins and spins and spins and nothing happens. I've tried to give it a jolt by interfacing it with the car and zero luck. I don't care much about Bluetooth but it's a further drain on the battery, so I'd like at least to be able to turn it off to save the battery.

Both WiFi and Bluetooth (and FM radio) are controlled by the same chip so if one is working and other isn't it's either some bizarre chip problem or (more likely) it's a firmware issue.
I honestly hope it's the latter because replacing that chip on a 5S is a chore to say the very least. Laugh
Re: More Apple Shenanigans [message #298044 is a reply to message #298043] Thu, 27 July 2017 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
same chip maybe but bluetooth can be turned off separatly from wifi.

I'd still try the network settings reset if other avenues fail and you won't have too many wifi networks and bluetooth devices to re-pair
Re: More Apple Shenanigans [message #298061 is a reply to message #298044] Fri, 28 July 2017 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Wish you'd never started this topic as today as I thought you'd jinxed mine today when I noticed I had no signal. Tried putting it in aircraft mode and out again, turning off/on mobile data and still wouldn't get a signal not even a basic phone signal never mind 3/4G. Strangely when I switched mobile data from 4G to 3G I got a signal, turning back to 4G (which should include a fall back to 3G), nothing.

In the end I rebooted and it was back to normal. Strange but as we who work in IT frequently say, "have you tried turning it off and on again" RollEyes
Re: More Apple Shenanigans [message #298063 is a reply to message #298026] Fri, 28 July 2017 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
I think I've tried to reset network settings five times already (losing all WiFi networks I had saved... RollEyes ) and I've turned it on and off God only knows how many times. Reboot already done twice.

WiFi now seems to be working fine but Bluetooth is still stuck in doom loop. As the FM radio also works (my God, what ghastly music passes for mainstream these days!) I am seriously leaning towards a firmware issue since it's the only thing making any sense. Phone is staying off for the night, we'll see tomorrow.
Re: More Apple Shenanigans [message #298064 is a reply to message #298063] Sat, 29 July 2017 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
FM radio on an iphone? think
Re: More Apple Shenanigans [message #298065 is a reply to message #298064] Sun, 30 July 2017 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
Kermit wrote on Sat, 29 July 2017 01:00
FM radio on an iphone? think
Look up RadioApp. I have no idea how it works and don't ask how I came to know of it. Laugh
Re: More Apple Shenanigans [message #298081 is a reply to message #298026] Tue, 01 August 2017 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
It really seems to have been a firmware update issue. The phone appears to be working fine after having been left two extra nights to "cook off": battery drain seems to indicate something has been going during those nights but I have no clue what was.

I suspect this is a way for Apple to tell us old models owners to buy a 7 to beef up sales as, after the initial enthusiasm, they have dropped off a cliff. After seeing a 7 in life I can well understand why: it's simply too damn big. The Plus model looks like one of those ghastly Chinese phablets (Xiaomi, Huawei, Oppo etc) so popular in Asia these days.
How do they expect me to fit those things inside my jacket? think
Re: More Apple Shenanigans [message #298144 is a reply to message #298026] Wed, 23 August 2017 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
After three weeks it seems it's not the firmware playing up with the WiFi, but the hardware.

I've read a bit on the web and it seems the problem is either the antenna (about €5), a capacitor (€3... provided you can find the right one) or the Wifi/Bluetooth chip itself (under €10, according to model).
No problems in taking the phone apart and replacing the antenna, but I've never worked on an iPhone motherboard and I fear my soldering skills may not be up to the task. think

Re: More Apple Shenanigans [message #298148 is a reply to message #298144] Thu, 24 August 2017 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   Spain
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Very risky trying to solder anything on the motherboard in an iPhone or any modern smartphone for that matter, almost everything is <1mm in size and tiny contacts. That said if you have a micro tipped soldering iron and one of those magnifying glasses then I guess a capacitor on the board will be doable as I've seen the capacitors on iPhone boards and while tiny they look surface mounted and 'may' lift off with a bit of heat to each contact and tweezers.

Check out YouTube if you haven't already for guides hopefully specifically with the repair your need
Re: More Apple Shenanigans [message #298149 is a reply to message #298148] Thu, 24 August 2017 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   Spain
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Btw you may recall my Mrs iPhone 5s played up last year, wouldn't turn on fully only iTunes logo so researched fixes tried everything non hardware but couldn't get iTunes to complete a full firmware restore. Error code suggested it maybe one of the main processors floating contacts with the board failing and suggested it could be reheated back in place with carefully controlled but fairly high heat to the processor to melt the solder on its mounts and reattach

Needless to say I didn't have the right tools but tried anyway, failed and we ended up buying a used 5s of eBay to replace it....at least I have the old phone for spares although not the morherboad or wifi antenna which I broke the wire to push connector on.

Damn fidgety things, good luck if you go for it Thumbs Up
Re: More Apple Shenanigans [message #298150 is a reply to message #298026] Fri, 25 August 2017 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
Wise words indeed.

I've decided to order a WiFi antenna: €2.50 including shipping is an expense I can afford and no soldering is required. Wink
If it doesn't work out used 5S's seem to be pretty cheap on eBay at the moment, about the same price as having the chip soldered, and with longer warranties to boot.
Re: More Apple Shenanigans [message #298176 is a reply to message #298026] Fri, 01 September 2017 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
The phone works like a treat now, but never ask me to do it again. Laugh

And that bag of assorted Apple fasteners I bought together with the magnetic screw map was probably the best 80c I've ever spent. Wink
Re: More Apple Shenanigans [message #298218 is a reply to message #298176] Tue, 05 September 2017 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
result. When you say magnetic screw map, do you mean its aleady mapped out with the locations of the screws on a diagram of your phone?

I'd be interested in that sort of thing as often I forget to carefully place screws thinking I'll know which is which only to end up faffing about with wrong screws in wrong holes
Re: More Apple Shenanigans [message #298222 is a reply to message #298218] Tue, 05 September 2017 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Germany
(18) Geoff Duke
I have two magnetic maps: one for 4S and another for the 5S. They are shaped like the phone with a little place to put the fastener in the proper place.
Personally I prefer the 4S because it's very big and color coded (red for battery, purple for motherboard and so on) but the 5S one has better magnets.
Re: More Apple Shenanigans [message #298231 is a reply to message #298222] Tue, 05 September 2017 21:29 Go to previous message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Sounds useful to the degree I've now added one to my ebay watch list now as a reminder next time I have to fix a phone and buy some bits to add the appropriate map to my basket Thumbs Up

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192266469072

Touch wood I won't need this 6S map as so far its holding up 20 months in from new smile
Previous Topic: Photobucket replacement
Next Topic: get hopelessly in jargon
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Oct 17 08:34:46 BST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03289 seconds