Home » Racing, Tackdays and Riding » Racing » DUCATI - Rossi VS Lorenzo in first season
DUCATI - Rossi VS Lorenzo in first season [message #298097] Sun, 06 August 2017 20:14 Go to next message
Pipe is currently offline  Pipe   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Just out of interest in VR's first season on the Ducati and at this stage of the season 10 rounds completed his points tally was 108 and was 5th in the championship

Lorenzo's points tally is currently 66 and 10th in the championship.

Is the bike now argually better than in 2011 when Rossi inherited it with a carbon frame?

Just sayin think
Re: DUCATI - Rossi VS Lorenzo in first season [message #298098 is a reply to message #298097] Sun, 06 August 2017 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
interesting figures. I'm sure given the Dcuatti is genuinely fighting for wins this year and last, it has to be a lot closer to the Honda and Yamaha's than it has been for the 4 or so seasons before that when I guess it was probably just too different an animal from the Japanese alloy framed bikes.

I've forgotten what frame material the ducatti is using these days, trellis, carbon or alloy?
Re: DUCATI - Rossi VS Lorenzo in first season [message #298099 is a reply to message #298097] Mon, 07 August 2017 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(17) Kevin Schwantz
The bike's not better: DORNA leveled the playing field to allow the aging hipsters owning a Multistrada or a Scrambler and fancing themselves riders to have "close racing". I'd also go on a tirade on how DORNA desperately wants Ducati to become the two wheeled Ferrari for merchandising reasons but I have no time right now. Wink

The difference is Rossi at Ducati played it safe. He knew he was riding a piece of refuse so he concentrated on getting to the finishing line in one piece instead than charging down the field and consequences be damned. Lorenzo is made like that: it's win it or bin it.
Plus the Spaniard has spent all his career riding for Japanese teams... like Rossi himself found out, Ducati is a completely different universe where politics come first and racing later. Germans may be nominally in charge but absolutely nothing has changed.
Re: DUCATI - Rossi VS Lorenzo in first season [message #298101 is a reply to message #298099] Mon, 07 August 2017 18:33 Go to previous message
Pipe is currently offline  Pipe   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
It's a standard run of the mill ally beam frame now Kerm a la Japanese.

I wouldn't say JL is a serial crasher or win/bin merchant per se, but he's definitely struggled to get comfortable on it and any sort of consistency.

I do however agree that Rossi extracted all he could from it without risking lobbing it at the scenery and although he never won on the bike he was consistently top 6 with a few podiums thrown in so I think he adapted more quickly but then hit the ceiling of what was possible.

However we know the bike is capable of winning now so we will wait and see.

Would love to see Marquez on a Ducati, that bloke can ride the edge like no other I have seen, Truly talented it has to be said.
Previous Topic: Suzuka 8 hours
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 17 00:30:47 BST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02964 seconds