Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » General Discussion » Being a biker in car
Being a biker in car [message #165943] Wed, 23 April 2008 10:15 Go to next message
Lara929   United Kingdom
(15) Kenny Roberts
Last night, as with many other evenings now, there was a hidden police biker on the Snake Pass Sad presumably looking out for the many bikers having evening rideouts now it's lighter.

I decided to be as helpful as I could, even though I was in my car. Near the cop I flashed some on-coming bikers, and gave the thumbs down Thumb Down signal as clearly as I could through the windscreen. I hoped they might realise I was being helpful and maybe I was a biker too, with my thumb thingy. They all nodded at me and one waved, so I think they got it!

A truck drived saved me a ticket once with the very same trick, all the on coming car drivers had not bothered.

Maybe, just maybe, there might be 3 bikers now who think that car drivers can be helpful too??? Would you do the same if in a car?

Or, come to think of it, if you saw a cop when you were on your bike, would you warn on-coming car drivers?

[Updated on: Wed, 23 April 2008 10:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Being a biker in car [message #165944 is a reply to message #165943] Wed, 23 April 2008 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andy_scouser is currently offline  andy_scouser   United Kingdom
(16) Barry Sheene
yep, i dont discriminate between bikes or cars.... i always warn off 'police speed safety cheques'
Re: Being a biker in car [message #165946 is a reply to message #165943] Wed, 23 April 2008 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WD   Netherlands
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
Lara929 wrote on Wed, 23 April 2008 11:15

Last night, as with many other evenings now, there was a hidden police biker on the Snake Pass Sad presumably looking out for the many bikers having evening rideouts now it's lighter.

I decided to be as helpful as I could, even though I was in my car. Near the cop I flashed some on-coming bikers, and gave the thumbs down Thumb Down signal as clearly as I could through the windscreen. I hoped they might realise I was being helpful and maybe I was a biker too, with my thumb thingy. They all nodded at me and one waved, so I think they got it!

A truck drived saved me a ticket once with the very same trick, all the on coming car drivers had not bothered.

Maybe, just maybe, there might be 3 bikers now who think that car drivers can be helpful too??? Would you do the same if in a car?

Or, come to think of it, if you saw a cop when you were on your bike, would you warn on-coming car drivers?

Yep always
Re: Being a biker in car [message #165949 is a reply to message #165946] Wed, 23 April 2008 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWB929 is currently offline  RWB929   United Kingdom
(13) MotoGP Champion
Yep would warn any one coming the other way off the speed check.

Re: Being a biker in car [message #165951 is a reply to message #165949] Wed, 23 April 2008 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ondablade   Ireland
(15) Kenny Roberts
Thumbs Up It's routine over here, but you have to be careful - the police took to placing a second guy upstream in hiding and prosecuting people they caught at it for a while.

What it does do is underline how enforcement that's ineffective as a reducer of road deaths and seen to be driven by vested interests,political correctness, stupidity or whatever inevitably erodes respect for and trust in the institutions of a functioning state.

Which can't be good, and contributes to the general sense of pissed off-edness that's around ....

[Updated on: Wed, 23 April 2008 11:18]

Re: Being a biker in car [message #165954 is a reply to message #165944] Wed, 23 April 2008 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashdak is currently offline  ashdak   United Kingdom
(4) WSS Racer
andy_scouser wrote on Wed, 23 April 2008 10:16

yep, i dont discriminate between bikes or cars.... i always warn off 'police speed safety cheques'

Me too Thumbs Up amazing how many don't though (car drivers that is)

[Updated on: Wed, 23 April 2008 12:12]

Re: Being a biker in car [message #165956 is a reply to message #165943] Wed, 23 April 2008 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LozVTR is currently offline  LozVTR   United Kingdom
(1) Club Racer
Car or Bike....I signal to all oncoming vehicles that theres a greed camera around the next bend.

Ive just got back from france on Monday and they all flash there lights at you over there. It was like a disco at one point.
Re: Being a biker in car [message #165958 is a reply to message #165956] Wed, 23 April 2008 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hondavee4 is currently offline  hondavee4   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
yep, i always do too Thumbs Up

but you gotta be carefull of kids on a corner of a road telling you to go faster or "pull me a wheelie mister" cos you can bet your bottom dollar theres a copper round the bend Neutral

andy_scouser wrote on Wed, 23 April 2008 10:16

'police speed safety cheques'

Laugh

[Updated on: Wed, 23 April 2008 12:29]

Re: Being a biker in car [message #165968 is a reply to message #165958] Wed, 23 April 2008 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ondablade   Ireland
(15) Kenny Roberts
Over here it's probably 90% in favour of this sort of action - not much time for shit, and a deeply ingrained suspicion of authority.

Always amazed at the size of the 'oughter be a law lock 'em up' brigade in England. Although with the advent of a bit of prosperity we seem to be rapidly growing our own too....
Re: Being a biker in car [message #165971 is a reply to message #165943] Wed, 23 April 2008 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
Used to be a pretty common behaviour down here, then it became an offence and, to add on top of that, they began a brainwashing campaign on the sound of "you could be signalling a child kidnapper the presence of a police patrol" (no s***t).
It seemed to work since nowadays only bikers and truckers seem to bother at all. And even among bikers it's becoming rarer by the day. Or maybe it has just to do with how selfish the average Italian car driver has become.
On Sunday I stopped to help a couple on stranded Mazda 6 (brand new car) and they could not believe that someone had actually pulled over, despite the presence of an enormous cloud of smoke. So if you own a diesel Mazda 6 be wary! Laugh
Re: Being a biker in car [message #165988 is a reply to message #165971] Wed, 23 April 2008 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gone2 is currently offline  gone2   Netherlands
(15) Kenny Roberts
I'll piss on their chips every opportunity I get.
Re: Being a biker in car [message #165992 is a reply to message #165988] Wed, 23 April 2008 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZigOnaBike is currently offline  ZigOnaBike   United Kingdom
(4) WSS Racer
I drive a truck for a living and as both a biker and a truck driver (and car driver too)I warn everyone I can of a police speed trap.
The best warning Ive had was someone had stopped and put up a sign made ( I presume) out of cardboard warning of the plod.

Zig smile
Re: Being a biker in car [message #165996 is a reply to message #165943] Wed, 23 April 2008 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quazi is currently offline  Quazi   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Ok, I'll be honest. RollEyes

When I'm in the car I don't let eveybody know, depends how I feel at the time really. I'm afraid the standard of driving has gone right down hill over the last few years, observation being the biggest weakness. If they don't see them in time, then they were not paying enough attention to what they're doing and probably deserve the points.

So F'k em. Tongue

[Updated on: Wed, 23 April 2008 19:36]

Re: Being a biker in car [message #165999 is a reply to message #165956] Wed, 23 April 2008 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DrMartin is currently offline  DrMartin   United Kingdom
(18) Geoff Duke
LozVTR wrote on Wed, 23 April 2008 12:20

Car or Bike....I signal to all oncoming vehicles that theres a greed camera around the next bend.

Ive just got back from france on Monday and they all flash there lights at you over there. It was like a disco at one point.

Thumbs Up The first time I went to France on a bike was about 30 years ago and they were doing it then - cars & bikes - and it took me a while to work out what was going on. Confused Blush

The worst one though was a Spanish lorry driver who tried to warn me of a speed trap by weaving all over the road in front of me. I thought he was trying to kill me eek so I accelerated past him as fast as I could (2 up + far too much luggage on a 650 Yamaha) ... straight into the sights of the two Spanish coppers hiding under the bridge up ahead - one of whom was pointing a rifle at me! eek SO I got done didn't I? Laugh Laugh Laugh

[Updated on: Wed, 23 April 2008 19:42]

Re: Being a biker in car [message #166001 is a reply to message #165999] Wed, 23 April 2008 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ondablade   Ireland
(15) Kenny Roberts
Thumbs Up It's probably not a lot worse, but I think to your point Q that speed limits and congestion have created a generation of drivers much more conditioned than before to tailgate the vehicle in front (after all that time in traffic jams they get lonely if the gap opens to more than six feet), to be half asleep on the job (bored silly) and to (since it's the 'I'm worth it' generation) presume that they are expert/there's no serious skill to driving/riding.

There was a sense in the 70s that it was Ok to 'press on'if you knew what you were doing, but that driving well mattered and wasn't just a matter of a week's lessons...
Re: Being a biker in car [message #166004 is a reply to message #165943] Wed, 23 April 2008 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini

When out on the bike do you...[ 11 votes ]
1. never acknowledge other riders 0 / 0%
2. a discrete nod for like minded riders on similar bikes 5 / 45%
3. go the whole hog and remove the go faster hand and wave 0 / 0%
4. usually road permitting will nod/wave if provoked by other rider doing the same 0 / 0%
5. nod/wave as per mood but never bother for HD's or BMW/Tourer types who with a few exceptions seem to look down on 'lunatic' sportsbike rider 6 / 55%

If I spot a mobile whether in the car or on a bike I only tend to warn other bikes of whats ahead for maybe the next 2 or 3 miles as I figure given the amount of traffic around, most cars are unlikely to need help keeping below 60 Wink

Something that does get on my tits sometimes is being on the receiving end of a car or biker flashing their lights at me and making me slow down for upto the next 5 miles only to realise they were in all likelihood only saying hello Head Bang The thumbs down in addition to a flash helps avoid this problem but i cant help being human and playing on the side of caution if I only get the flash think

** a poll along similar lines **

[Updated on: Wed, 23 April 2008 20:43]

Re: Being a biker in car [message #166010 is a reply to message #166004] Wed, 23 April 2008 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
streeky is currently offline  streeky   France
(21) Valentino Rossi
yep, i always do too. car or bikes.. here in France,
i've had a good few car drivers flash me in my car when the plod is around, Thumbs Up

[Updated on: Wed, 23 April 2008 22:33]

Re: Being a biker in car [message #166011 is a reply to message #166004] Wed, 23 April 2008 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pecker is currently offline  pecker   United Kingdom
(11) MotoGP Podium Finisher
yes always warn all oncoming traffic

have been saved myself a good few times by cars flashing me

its a great feeling pottering pass plod with his laser speed gun and giving him a smug wave Wink
Re: Being a biker in car [message #166018 is a reply to message #166011] Wed, 23 April 2008 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ginganinga is currently offline  ginganinga   United Kingdom
(17) Kevin Schwantz
Always Thumbs Up

Ginga smile
Re: Being a biker in car [message #166041 is a reply to message #165943] Thu, 24 April 2008 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
chico929 is currently offline  chico929   United Kingdom
(2) BSS Racer
I always let all others know of a speed trap, with headlight flash and thumb down,if time.
As for car drivers, there seems to be an increase in them flashing you, only to slow you down I think(anti bikers)...no police at all. Anyone else noticed this?
As for nodding to other bikers, I always do but dont look back at them to see if they reciprocate, thus avoiding the feeling of rejection...sensitive soul that I am Wink
Previous Topic: Biped
Next Topic: It can come at any time.....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 23 19:05:09 BST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02489 seconds