Home » Bike Specific Discussion and Help » NC23, NC24, NC29, NC30, NC35 » Baby rebuild (Basket case)
Re: Baby rebuild [message #298769 is a reply to message #298767] Mon, 08 January 2018 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spagiratwink is currently offline  spagiratwink   United Kingdom
(4) WSS Racer
Kakugo wrote on Mon, 08 January 2018 19:17
I wonder how you people have so much patience with plastic repairs and paint.
I usually just drop the parts off to a paint shop and let them deal with it. My sanity is worth the admittedly steep price. Wink
Wont be messing about with plastics again Kak, I'm one step away from the looney bin as it is, next project hopefully will be nothing to do with plastics, might even be something from the Dark Side...a Scooter eek
Re: Baby rebuild [message #298771 is a reply to message #298769] Mon, 08 January 2018 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quazi is currently offline  Quazi   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Very noce job, a lot of work there. smile
Re: Baby rebuild [message #298772 is a reply to message #298771] Mon, 08 January 2018 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(4) WSS Racer
Quazi wrote on Mon, 08 January 2018 19:42
Very noce job, a lot of work there. smile
Cheers Quazi Thumbs Up
Re: Baby rebuild [message #298773 is a reply to message #298769] Mon, 08 January 2018 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
spagiratwink wrote on Mon, 08 January 2018 20:32
I usually just drop the parts off to a paint shop and let them deal with it. My sanity is worth the admittedly steep price. Wink
Wont be messing about with plastics again Kak, I'm one step away from the looney bin as it is, next project hopefully will be nothing to do with plastics, might even be something from the Dark Side...a Scooter eek
Old scooters such as Italian Vespa's and Lambretta's or German Heinkel's and Maico's have sheet metal bodyworks, so all they require is a big enough hammer and something hard to beat against. Laugh
Re: Baby rebuild [message #298775 is a reply to message #298773] Tue, 09 January 2018 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(4) WSS Racer
Kakugo wrote on Mon, 08 January 2018 20:50
spagiratwink wrote on Mon, 08 January 2018 20:32
Old scooters such as Italian Vespa's and Lambretta's or German Heinkel's and Maico's have sheet metal bodyworks, so all they require is a big enough hammer and something hard to beat against. Laugh
That sounds right up my street Kak, would love to try a Maico , but their as rare as hens teeth here No
Re: Baby rebuild [message #298777 is a reply to message #298775] Tue, 09 January 2018 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
spagiratwink wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 07:50

That sounds right up my street Kak, would love to try a Maico , but their as rare as hens teeth here No
They were probably exported back to the Fatherland: the UK Maico importer, based in Surrey, bought all the remaining sets of spares and unfinished frames the Germans had laying about when they stopped manufacturing scooters and assembled the Maicoletta and, allegedly, the Mobil until he ran out of frames. Sold every single one of them and still had orders unfilled.
The good thing about German scooters, as opposed to Italian ones, is they have a proper frame to which the bodywork is bolted to, making repairs easier and cheaper. It also means it's far far easier to spot rust: in those days only Daimler bothered zinc-coating bodyworks and the metal just rot away.

There are many aftermarket manufacturers catering to these old scooters and the old Vespa is still manufactured (albeit with different engines) in India by LML. Due to Piaggio foolishly giving away all rights to the old models, LML has been selling them in Europe for a few years now and they are a big hit for those looking for urban transportation on a budget but don't want to take their chances with Chinese junk.
Re: Baby rebuild [message #298778 is a reply to message #298777] Tue, 09 January 2018 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(4) WSS Racer
Kakugo wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 08:16
spagiratwink wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 07:50

They were probably exported back to the Fatherland: the UK Maico importer, based in Surrey, bought all the remaining sets of spares and unfinished frames the Germans had laying about when they stopped manufacturing scooters and assembled the Maicoletta and, allegedly, the Mobil until he ran out of frames. Sold every single one of them and still had orders unfilled.
The good thing about German scooters, as opposed to Italian ones, is they have a proper frame to which the bodywork is bolted to, making repairs easier and cheaper. It also means it's far far easier to spot rust: in those days only Daimler bothered zinc-coating bodyworks and the metal just rot away.

There are many aftermarket manufacturers catering to these old scooters and the old Vespa is still manufactured (albeit with different engines) in India by LML. Due to Piaggio foolishly giving away all rights to the old models, LML has been selling them in Europe for a few years now and they are a big hit for those looking for urban transportation on a budget but don't want to take their chances with Chinese junk.
Yes the only ones I've found are finished, cant even find a tatty one, and I have the hammers and leather bag ready to go Yes
Re: Baby rebuild [message #298779 is a reply to message #293054] Tue, 09 January 2018 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
The "oldtimer" frenzy is coming to an end, so it's just a matter of patience.

Until a few years ago you could not find a Heinkel Tourist, no matter how tatty, under five grands. Now you can get spotless working examples for less than that. "Restoration projects" go for far less than that.
As Germany drives the European oldtimer market, prices are bound to follow what they are setting and they are going down, fast. With Japanese collectors dying out of old age and the Chinese mercifully uninterested some sectors are deflating faster than others but as my old friend Wolfgang (an authority on 60's and 70's sports cars) pointed out, "things rarely go down in a straight line". You may see the occasional crazy prize thrown around but even the ultra-rare (or supposedly so) MV Agusta's and Ferrari's are coming down.

Some peripheral markets are still badly heated up, but it's more a case of aspirational pricing than anything else: you still see people asking thirty grands for a Volkswagen T2 but if they'll get even two thrids of that is open to debate. Wink
Re: Baby rebuild [message #298780 is a reply to message #298779] Tue, 09 January 2018 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(4) WSS Racer
Kakugo wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 08:58

Until a few years ago you could not find a Heinkel Tourist, no matter how tatty, under five grands. Now you can get spotless working examples for less than that. "Restoration projects" go for far less than that.
As Germany drives the European oldtimer market, prices are bound to follow what they are setting and they are going down, fast. With Japanese collectors dying out of old age and the Chinese mercifully uninterested some sectors are deflating faster than others but as my old friend Wolfgang (an authority on 60's and 70's sports cars) pointed out, "things rarely go down in a straight line". You may see the occasional crazy prize thrown around but even the ultra-rare (or supposedly so) MV Agusta's and Ferrari's are coming down.

Some peripheral markets are still badly heated up, but it's more a case of aspirational pricing than anything else: you still see people asking thirty grands for a Volkswagen T2 but if they'll get even two thrids of that is open to debate. Wink
Have considered a Triumph Spitfire Mk I or II , their going relatively cheap , and parts easy to come by, but I think that will have to till I move house again and get that double garage, start of a New Year and I'm getting itchy spanners Laugh
Re: Baby rebuild [message #298781 is a reply to message #298780] Tue, 09 January 2018 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
spagiratwink wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 10:11

Have considered a Triumph Spitfire Mk I or II , their going relatively cheap , and parts easy to come by, but I think that will have to till I move house again and get that double garage, start of a New Year and I'm getting itchy spanners Laugh
Back in high school I dated a girl whose father had a Spitfire. I don't remember the Mark but to keep using aeronautical terms it was a veritable Garage Queen, always breaking down and always in need of extensive and expensive repairs. Cue in the jokes about Hitler and Goering winning the Battle of Britain if the Spitfire fighter had been designed and built by Triumph. Laugh

Her father accepted this almost stoically as averitable oldtimer owner is supposed to but it was from him that I learned that Lotus means "Lots Of Troubles Usually Serious".
Re: Baby rebuild [message #298782 is a reply to message #298781] Tue, 09 January 2018 12:38 Go to previous message
(4) WSS Racer
Kakugo wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 11:38
spagiratwink wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 10:11

Back in high school I dated a girl whose father had a Spitfire. I don't remember the Mark but to keep using aeronautical terms it was a veritable Garage Queen, always breaking down and always in need of extensive and expensive repairs. Cue in the jokes about Hitler and Goering winning the Battle of Britain if the Spitfire fighter had been designed and built by Triumph. Laugh

Her father accepted this almost stoically as averitable oldtimer owner is supposed to but it was from him that I learned that Lotus means "Lots Of Troubles Usually Serious".
Yeh , grew up with this type of motor, used to be easy in those days ,Battery ,Starter Motor, Dynamo, Distributor ,Now its an OBDC to check everything Laugh
Previous Topic: three pin connector
Next Topic: Manuals & other useful downloads
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 21 14:01:14 BST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02476 seconds