Home » General » Technical Help » OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up
icon5.gif  OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up [message #298986] Thu, 08 February 2018 11:50 Go to next message
Kakugo is currently online  Kakugo   
(18) Geoff Duke
On my PC I have two hard discs: an SSD to run the OS "Windows 7" and a traditional HDD to store everything else.

Despite taking all the usual precautions (running disc cleanup weekly, getting rid of programs I do not use anymore, saving everything I can on the HD etc), the SSD is filling up and it now has only about 10% free space.
It's really hard to tell what is bloating up the SSD. I've tried hunting down files manually but there isn't really much else I can skim... guess I run a bloated computer. Laugh

So, the big question. What's better: buy a second SSD and transfer part of the "system" there, if it can be even done? Or buy a 250+GB SSD (they are getting cheaper by the month) and move the whole "system" there... again if it can be even done? Or is there something I have overlooked which can save me disk space? think

Thanks!
Re: OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up [message #298987 is a reply to message #298986] Thu, 08 February 2018 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Free (possible fix) to free space

Stage #1 clean up

While CCleaner is pretty good at cleaning regular temporary files, it doesn't clean up the Windows Update. For that you need to run Disk Cleanup by

a) right-click on the C drive in Computer display of the drives and click properties
b) Disk Cleanup should be there, click it
c) when it first runs its shows the basic stuff that mostly ccleaner covers but there's a "Cleanup System Files" which rescans and includes "Windows Update Cleanup", "Sevice Pack Backup Files", "log.... files" etc. You can tick all the boxes in there. The only one I don't usually tick is the thumbnails as I know they'd take a few seconds to rebuild next time I go to various pictures folders but there's no problem ticking that too

Stage 2 to follow
Re: OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up [message #298988 is a reply to message #298987] Thu, 08 February 2018 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Stage #2 cleanup

This is a quick one....do you use hibernate? I don't and either sleep or power off my pc. If you don't use hibernate then there's a good chance while you don't use it, there's a file equal to the size of your memory (4GB or 8GB etc) on the root of the C:\ drive called hiber.sys (to see it if its there you'd have to tick boxes to view hidden AND system files in Explors options)

If you don't need it, you can disable hibernation (you'll still have sleep available) by....

1) Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
2) In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
3) When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
4) At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off and then press Enter.
5) Type exit, and then press Enter to close the Command Prompt window.

You'll now have 4 or 8GB more space as hiber.sys will be gone. You'll notice in control panel power settings that Hibernate is no longer listed...which is good imo as its not that good compared to sleep (very quick resumption of pc as you left it) or powering down.
Re: OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up [message #298989 is a reply to message #298988] Thu, 08 February 2018 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Stage #3 cleanup - remove patches not required anymore by Windows

Found this a few months ago that removes old Windows patches that aren't required. First few times I used it I played safe and let it back up the stuff it told me wasn't needed/superceeded to another drive but have found no ill effects and those backups were soon deleted. I've used it since on a a fair few PC's and don't bother backing up what it saves. Guaranteed to get you more free GB above and beyond the above. If unsure back up to "\SafeBackup\ type folder on your DATA drive then 1-2 months down the line when you've spotted no ill effects, delete that.

http://www.homedev.com.au/free/patchcleaner
Re: OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up [message #298990 is a reply to message #298989] Thu, 08 February 2018 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Stage #4 cleanup - Clear Down System Restore

If you PC is otherwise running well and you don't forsee having to perform a Windows system restore, then clear down the old restore points and create a fresh one

1) Right-click on COMPUTER and choose PROPERTIES
2) Goto SYSTEM PROTECTION tab then CONFIGURE
3) See how much space its using then click DELETE to empty it
4) Once its cleared it down, click OK then adjust the slider to a reasonable amount (but not too much on a small SSD) space. I think 5% or 6 to 8GB is fine
5) When you OK that, on the previous screen click CREATE to create a fresh restore point should you require rolling back windows at some point in the future. After I've cleaned up a bogged down PC and before handing it back to a user, I usually create one called something like "SH dd/mm/yyyy Windows fully updated and clean" should that PC come back to me later I could use that although never normally do but its handy for the more novice user.

Note Windows itself will automatically create new restore points when it installs Windows updates and most fresh or updates to applications

index.php?t=getfile&id=22292&private=0

^^ this is my work laptop. I clear system restore down weekly once I know updates I installed work fine so not much there on my screenshot....I'm probably verging on OCD level of cleaning up my own SSD Grin

If you got this far, let me know how much you got back at each stage smile
Re: OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up [message #298991 is a reply to message #298990] Thu, 08 February 2018 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Last thing, if you do wish to get a larger SSD, then its easy to IMAGE the existing disk with Windows & programs on it to a new disk using Macrium Reflect for which a free home edition is available. I actually use Reflect around once a month to create a complete backup image of my SSD to a portable disk. Takes about 15mins max and can be done in Windows.

If you decide to go down this route, I'll add more info.
Re: OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up [message #298992 is a reply to message #298986] Fri, 09 February 2018 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
Thanks a lot.

Having already done pretty much everything but turning hibernation off I think I'll try the IMAGE option. Since Maciurm offers a free 30 days trial I think I'll order another SSD before taking up that offer. Wink
Re: OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up [message #298994 is a reply to message #298992] Fri, 09 February 2018 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
No need to trail Macrium, your a home user so select that, enter (or don't) enter an email address and it'll run in free HOME USER mode which does everything you need with no nagging to pay.

When you do image it, remember to image the complete SSD not jus the main partition as there's likely to be a 100MB Reserved partition at the beginning of the disk thats important and something at the end. If only free space at the end, then after you boot up with the new disk, you can use Windows own disk manager to expand the disk although bear in mind your supposed to leave 10% free space on SSD's for over provisioning. If you buy a Samsung, make sure you use the Samsung Magician (the latest version from website is v5.2) to take care of that
Re: OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up [message #298999 is a reply to message #298994] Sat, 10 February 2018 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
Kermit wrote on Fri, 09 February 2018 16:32
No need to trail Macrium, your a home user so select that, enter (or don't) enter an email address and it'll run in free HOME USER mode which does everything you need with no nagging to pay.

When you do image it, remember to image the complete SSD not jus the main partition as there's likely to be a 100MB Reserved partition at the beginning of the disk thats important and something at the end. If only free space at the end, then after you boot up with the new disk, you can use Windows own disk manager to expand the disk although bear in mind your supposed to leave 10% free space on SSD's for over provisioning. If you buy a Samsung, make sure you use the Samsung Magician (the latest version from website is v5.2) to take care of that
I think I'll opt for another Kingston SSD, as the 120GB I have right now has performed flawlessly and I use their memory sticks weekly without fault. They may not be as glamorous as Samsung's and Sandisk's but they are somewhat cheaper and, at least the sticks, incredibly rugged.
As soon as the new SSD is here I'll get to work and let you know. At least it will be good entertainment value. Laugh
Re: OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up [message #299001 is a reply to message #298999] Sat, 10 February 2018 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Out of interest, what motherboard do you have as newer (in the last 2-3 years) motherboards will often have a slot known as M2 which is a bit like a memory card slot but specifically for SSD storage in smaller (physical) format than 2.5" disks. So not only takes up less space but its a faster interface than Sata 3 so can achieve transfer rates 1000MB/sec+ if the SSD you go for has chips that manage more than the 540MB/sec limit that Sata 3 can manage.

This is an image of one in place

https://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/M2-SSD-980x551.jpg

even if you don't have an M.2 slot, but have plenty of PCI-E slots, you can use an adaptor card like this for the same result although that adds £15-25 extra cost of the PCI-E card

https://images.techhive.com/images/article/2015/09/hyperx-predator-pcie-ssd_hyperx-predator-ssd-m2-pcie-installed_01_07_2015-11_21-100613929-large.jpg

So something to look at most SSD's are available in both 2.5" and M.2 formats with the later being the future

When in comes to transferring your old disks contents to the new one, connect up the new disk to a spare Sata/Power and boot PC normally then run Reflect and you'll see something like below. While you can use the IMAGE option to create an image file of the old disk first to your Data drive (assuming it has about 100GB free space) then restore that image to the new disk, the quicker method is direct disk to disk using the CLONE option which once you click that it'll ask you which disk you wish to clone to....your new disk along with your current DATA drive will shown on the new screen but it'll be obvious which disk is the new empty drive then its a case of NEXT through the wizard and let it do its work

https://i.imgur.com/OaL2dUb.png

When thats done, shutdown the PC and go into the BIOS and change Hard Disk boot order to ensure the new 240GB drive is booted before the old 120GB disk in Boot Order (or Hard Disks list order)

Job done other than erasing the old disk and either reusing as a third fast drive or selling on ebay
Re: OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up [message #299003 is a reply to message #298986] Sat, 10 February 2018 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
I have an MSI A88X-G41 motherboard, which is as to say an old Toyota truck in a world of Ferrari's.
I don't think it has M2 ports, but it has all sorts of strange ports I don't use for graphic cards and the like. Laugh

This month has been pretty heavy on the electronics front.
First a dead iPhone 5S (good riddance, I am back on my rusty old 4S until used 6 prices come down a bit more), then a not entirely inspired moved to a WAN provider, then an expensive Cisco router fried itself... I am a glutton for punishment apparently.
Re: OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up [message #299006 is a reply to message #298986] Sun, 11 February 2018 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
The new SSD should be here on Wednesday or Thursday. Then I can get to work. Or burn down my PC trying. Grin
Re: OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up [message #299014 is a reply to message #298986] Wed, 14 February 2018 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
So this showed up today:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Mixed-Gallery/i-vSbMgJq/0/8acfaa91/M/IMG_0095-M.jpg

Lot of fun to come. Wink
Re: OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up [message #299016 is a reply to message #298986] Wed, 14 February 2018 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
This isn't looking good... Confused
Re: OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up [message #299020 is a reply to message #299016] Wed, 14 February 2018 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
whats up?
Re: OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up [message #299021 is a reply to message #299020] Thu, 15 February 2018 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
Kermit wrote on Thu, 15 February 2018 00:56
whats up?
After running the cloning process instead of getting just a nice copy of the (C:) drive labelled (F:) I got a splintered... thing: System Reserved, (F:) and even a (G:). I literally have no idea what happened.
Needless to say I formated the disk because that thing was completely useless as it was.
I will try again tonight after cleaning and defragging the (C:) drive if I have the time, otherwise it will be something for Friday or Saturday evening.
Re: OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up [message #299022 is a reply to message #299021] Thu, 15 February 2018 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
You won'r get drive letters on the new drive the same as the 'live' drive as Windows can only assign drives letters once and the main drive already has them.

If you use CLONE then you'll get an exact copy of the existing drives partitions on the new drive with the possability to resize perhaps the C: partitions but don't worry about resizing for now, a copy of the partitions + 120GB or so of free space is fine once its complete.

Once its complete, shutdown the PC and

a) disconnect the old 120GB drive and try boot the PC......if it doesn't boot check the new SSD is first in the BIOS's boot ordering
b) if it boots then you'll see you have C: drive as the main drive and can set about enlarging the C: drive partition with Disk Managment to make use of the extra size of the drive....ideally leave about 10% free space for some behind the scenes things that SSD's do to keep themselves in optimum shape.

If you wish to put the other drive back on, then thats no problem, once you reconnect it, first boot go straight to BIOS and check its boot order is lower than the new drive to ensure your booting the new copy of Windows and not the old copy
Re: OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up [message #299024 is a reply to message #298986] Thu, 15 February 2018 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
I will try that. Thumbs Up

Nothing's ever easy... Laugh
Re: OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up [message #299030 is a reply to message #298986] Sun, 18 February 2018 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
I ran the cloning process and got this:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Mixed-Gallery/i-JknRnhZ/0/846fb2de/L/IMG_0099-L.jpg

Which by disconnecting the old OS SSD and fiddling with storage management turned into this:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Mixed-Gallery/i-8cxXmc2/0/84de4807/L/IMG_0100-L.jpg

The only question I have left is this. All the "System Reserved" partition contains is this:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Mixed-Gallery/i-pNtkC4s/0/704ebb67/L/IMG_0101-L.jpg

Is there any way to put all of this into (C:) like it was before? think
Re: OS Dedicated Hard Disc Filling Up [message #299036 is a reply to message #299030] Mon, 19 February 2018 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
use disk management to remove its drive letter F and forget about it, its only 100MB and it potentially your boot partition so I wouldn't remove it. In Disk Management [which better shows the partitions on the disk] if its showing as the 1st portion of the bar repesenting the disk, then its almost certainly the boot partition and/or Windows recovery partition as Windows 7 onwards always seem to create them these days when installing on a clean empty disk even if you set it to use the whole disk for the main C partition.

Whilst in Disk Management, if you wish you can set your D: (DVD) drive a different letter (I usually give mine Z: so other disks/usb sticks all then go in order) then when you apply that you can change the drive letter of the E: disk to the now freed up D drive because D = DATA in my book and its a nicer ordering when viewing.

That said, if you have your documents, pictures libraries etc already pointing at E:\USERS\Username\folder then it might be easier to leave it as E if you can handle the non-OCD lettering Laugh
Previous Topic: Photobucket fix
Next Topic: Microsoft Fix It's for common issues
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Feb 25 07:34:55 GMT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02951 seconds