Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » Restores, Rebuilds and Tart ups. » 250 Nighthawk
Re: 250 Nighthawk [message #299096 is a reply to message #299095] Fri, 02 March 2018 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gragson is currently offline  Gragson   United Kingdom
(2) BSS Racer
Ive also ordered the IPC, coming from Italy, if any one need a copy I'm sure I can spin them off.
Re: 250 Nighthawk [message #299097 is a reply to message #299090] Fri, 02 March 2018 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(2) BSS Racer
one thing I forgot to tell you to check is clutch functionality. You may notice the clutch is a bit "lazy" to operate. The cause is usually the cable binding somewhere inside its wrapping. You may try putting either a good penetrating oil (my brother uses a gunsmith oil) or "Sperm whale oil substitute" (90% ATF and 10% pure acetone in volume) but if that doesn't work a brand new pattern cable will solve the issue.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to prepare myself for dealing with an old poor starting Honda GX engine (my bet is on the carburetor in need of attention) and even older Suzuki GSX1100F with a fork and/or wheel issue.
Why do I get myself into this... Pray
[/quote]

Noted, will check clutch end to end, agree white machine / gun oil is properly slippery for that sort of cable app, works well on my Beretta's and Browning's Grin

As for why you get yourself into this... its a bit more fun and engaging than replacing the 3 way valve on my heating system tomorrow - fancy swapping haha
Re: 250 Nighthawk [message #299098 is a reply to message #299097] Fri, 02 March 2018 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(2) BSS Racer
I'm going to have to concede that I'm not going to get the turbo to the other garage this weekend unless I fit a snow plough to it :-(
Taken off some more bits to while away the time. If the left pipe comes up as good as the other I will be happy

https://preview.ibb.co/d13RXn/IMG_1892.jpg
https://preview.ibb.co/mNqjJS/IMG_1894.jpg
Re: 250 Nighthawk [message #299101 is a reply to message #299098] Sat, 03 March 2018 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
First exhaust came up well, if that one comes up just as well, good work Thumbs Up

What paint did you use for the headlight surround? On bikes I've had to spray auxiliary parts on before (XR250, NC30), I've always got a soft sport for Hammerite Satin Black especially if they're ferrous parts

https://i.imgur.com/D8NzIvw.jpg

Can't believe its now almost 10 years since I fixed up that XR250 Blush

[Updated on: Sat, 03 March 2018 16:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 250 Nighthawk [message #299102 is a reply to message #299101] Sun, 04 March 2018 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(2) BSS Racer
I've fallen in and out with rattle can brands over the years. Used to swear by PJ1 until it got environmentally friendly, its not very good now.
I'm a fan of VHT at the moment, which hardens off well when baked. The headlamp rim I etched primered 1st even tho I gave it a good key.
Have painted with compressor in the past for bigger jobs but its a lot of setup, so tend to do that round a mates when we have lots to do together.

Those parts have come out well, might have to give Hammerite a try !
Re: 250 Nighthawk [message #299103 is a reply to message #299102] Sun, 04 March 2018 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(2) BSS Racer
Did these last night in VHT, I'm not toiling over the finish too much as, the CB is never going to look concours

For faded plastics I've never used anything better than this stuff, messed about with all sorts in the past (heatgun, peanut butter, armour all, other dyes) but this stuff is the dogs cojones.
Was recommended by a mate in Aus, had to buy it from the US, but it lasts for ever and you only need a tiny amount for coverage.

https://preview.ibb.co/k4qUL7/IMG_1901.jpg
https://preview.ibb.co/fXEBYS/IMG_1908.jpg
Re: 250 Nighthawk [message #299107 is a reply to message #299103] Mon, 05 March 2018 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
they've come up nicely Thumbs Up
Re: 250 Nighthawk [message #299115 is a reply to message #298877] Thu, 08 March 2018 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
While that bike is in far worse conditions than the GSX1100F I am working on right now I have zero doubts it's far far easier to deal with.
I make no mystery I generally have little sympathy for Suzuki's (rightly priced Ducati's I call them), but this bike is really something in another level as far as curious engineering choices and questionable component quality go. Laugh

And I still have the front brake calipers to deal with, one of which is frozen solid.
Re: 250 Nighthawk [message #299119 is a reply to message #299115] Sun, 11 March 2018 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(2) BSS Racer
It is a simple little bike to work on for sure, but it is starting to owe me money grrr
Chain is shagged so ordered sprocket set as well, went to check the air filter none fitted! So ordered that also, tyres look fine and have plenty of tread but won't hold pressure more grrrr. Master cylinder piston and caliper piston both seized solid (for now) and have to drill out snapped caliper bolt. Probably need to fit new disk and pads yet more grrr

Should have taken a before pic, everything under the bodywork was thick brown shit/dust
Both pipes salvaged ok & new collets and gaskets, small repairs to bodywork ok, pegs and stuff biffed with wire wheel and painted with brush hammerite which will look fine from 500 yards, deoxidising the head and case ali is getting really boring with a brass brush, don't want to risk wire wheel scratch and cant be arsed with the mess of soda blasting, got a tip on these nylon flap wheels, flexible enough to get into nooks and crannies, tough enough to get the crap off but should not scratch will see...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Filament-Brushes-Nylon-Abrasive-C up-Wheel-Flap-End-Grinding-Tools-Accessories/282860776865?ss PageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=582267998182&_trksid =p2060353.m1438.l2649

So still lots of little jobs to do.
Bike cost £400, keeping the cost of getting it back road worthy and MOTd could end up close to the same and more than the bike is worth? Ah well, is what it is and would not be the first time RollEyes
Re: 250 Nighthawk [message #299120 is a reply to message #299119] Sun, 11 March 2018 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(2) BSS Racer
Front mud guard also has some form of leprosy Grin , and Ideas on a red paint match???

https://preview.ibb.co/dwcO8S/1.jpg
https://preview.ibb.co/ifG5Nn/2.jpg
https://preview.ibb.co/gRGGTS/3.jpg
https://preview.ibb.co/kjo8a7/4.jpg
Re: 250 Nighthawk [message #299122 is a reply to message #298877] Mon, 12 March 2018 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
It should be Honda R109 "Passion Red". The same red as used on their 80's dirt bikes so easily available from many brands. Personally I use this brand: http://www.motorradlack.de/produktliste/honda/honda-spritzlack/ but there are many around.
Re: 250 Nighthawk [message #299182 is a reply to message #299122] Wed, 28 March 2018 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gragson is currently offline  Gragson   Netherlands
(2) BSS Racer
Kakugo wrote on Mon, 12 March 2018 08:15
It should be Honda R109 "Passion Red". The same red as used on their 80's dirt bikes so easily available from many brands. Personally I use this brand: http://www.motorradlack.de/produktliste/honda/honda-spritzla ck/ but there are many around.
Appreciated Thumbs Up
Re: 250 Nighthawk [message #299183 is a reply to message #299182] Wed, 28 March 2018 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(2) BSS Racer
All going nice and slow due to loads of other shit known as life, work & family.
Front break caliper sheared bolt dealt with and out of the fork, very difficult....

Caliper pistons so rusted & seized took an age to free, hindered also by the disc being so worn they had cupped into the pads and had to force over the ridge of the raised outer edge of the disk - which is truly worn out and will need to replace. Master cylinder piston also seized solid even after weeks of soaking, all in all front break is fucked, with lots of time and service kits I can bring it all back I guess but saw a dude breaking one and said he had the whole front break which worked great, arrived today and... works great, small mercies

Next - sort tubeless tyre sealing which is almost certainly inner rim manual hone down, replace front disk, service & reassemble front break, same for forks, paint wheel and guard, and that will be the front done.

Its never going to pay me back, and I will miss planned MOT by end April without a doubt
But if I did not have this in the shed I would be doing something else and I'm enjoying it (at times) thats ehat its about
Re: 250 Nighthawk [message #299184 is a reply to message #299183] Wed, 28 March 2018 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(2) BSS Racer

https://preview.ibb.co/n8d2fS/IMG_2049.jpg
Re: 250 Nighthawk [message #299188 is a reply to message #299184] Thu, 29 March 2018 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yorkie is currently offline  Yorkie   United Kingdom
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
Looking good so far Thumbs Up
As you say, it may never pay you back but that's not what this sort of thing is about is it?
Re: 250 Nighthawk [message #299189 is a reply to message #298877] Thu, 29 March 2018 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
From my experience with period Honda wheels, especially on "garden shed specials", rims are one of the parts most affected by corrosion.
You may try a hone, but often if the tube keeps on getting pinched or you keep on experiencing pressure losses after honing it means the corrosion is too far gone into the rim. DID wheels are especially bad here despite being highly sought after due to holding up to potholes and dirt riding better than RK's and other brands.

Tomorrow I am going to pick up the aforementioned Suzuki caliper rebuild kit. I don't even want to think what awaits me. Laugh
Re: 250 Nighthawk [message #299190 is a reply to message #299189] Thu, 29 March 2018 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Agree its not going to pay you back and most project bikes won'tbe money pits ether unless going for concourse finish good enough to win shows.

I've found despite 'loosing' a few hundred and perhaps upto maybe £400/500 on my previous projects the cost can be offset not only by the enjoyment of the hobby but also financially as if your too busy with the bike to undertake Mrs inspired DIY projects about the house, taking her shopping or nipping to the pub for a few pints, then quite often a project bike will actually pay for itself over the weeks/months Thumbs Up

[Updated on: Thu, 29 March 2018 13:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 250 Nighthawk [message #299191 is a reply to message #299190] Thu, 29 March 2018 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yorkie is currently offline  Yorkie   United Kingdom
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
Kermit wrote on Thu, 29 March 2018 13:00

I've found despite 'loosing' a few hundred and perhaps upto maybe £400/500 on my previous projects the cost can be offset not only by the enjoyment of the hobby but also financially as if your too busy with the bike to undertake Mrs inspired DIY projects about the house, taking her shopping or nipping to the pub for a few pints, then quite often a project bike will actually pay for itself over the weeks/months Thumbs Up

Lateral thinking, I like it Thumbs Up Grin
Re: 250 Nighthawk [message #299197 is a reply to message #299189] Fri, 30 March 2018 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(2) BSS Racer
Kakugo wrote on Thu, 29 March 2018 11:53
From my experience with period Honda wheels, especially on "garden shed specials", rims are one of the parts most affected by corrosion.
You may try a hone, but often if the tube keeps on getting pinched or you keep on experiencing pressure losses after honing it means the corrosion is too far gone into the rim. DID wheels are especially bad here despite being highly sought after due to holding up to potholes and dirt riding better than RK's and other brands.

Tomorrow I am going to pick up the aforementioned Suzuki caliper rebuild kit. I don't even want to think what awaits me. Laugh
These wheels are stamped Grimeco made in Italy - Honda KBG-F
Having taken the tyre off I see the inner rim is actually in very good nik with original paint all round, I'm not going to do anything abrasive now, just make sure they are suer smooth and clean inner rims, I am pretty sure of the cause of rapid deflation tho Wink

Good luck on the Suzi caliper, found that the rebuild kit for the CB was pretty expensive, dead lucky to get a complete working front break for a few quid more than the kit!
Re: 250 Nighthawk [message #299198 is a reply to message #299191] Fri, 30 March 2018 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
(2) BSS Racer
Yorkie wrote on Thu, 29 March 2018 14:01
Kermit wrote on Thu, 29 March 2018 13:00

Lateral thinking, I like it Thumbs Up Grin
Yorkie, Kermit, totally with that. Although the other halves schemes are partially to blame for lack of time in the shed... Be nice to have a wildlife pond, I agree and busily start looking at mini digger hire, next day she's back from the garden centre with presents for me... they're proper spear and jacksons and I know you like your tools RollEyes my back is still killing me...
Previous Topic: Fairing Decals
Next Topic: Need to get my finger out
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 21 11:22:30 BST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01174 seconds