Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » Technical Help » VPN - I finally decided to get one (This is a Basic Guide)
VPN - I finally decided to get one [message #299144] Sat, 24 March 2018 19:05 Go to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United States
(22) Giacomo Agostini
I'm sure you've all heard of VPNs (Virtual Private Network) and while they still are for providing secure links between for example a home workers PC and his office, they have another use and thats to stop you being snooped on. As I'm a fairly regular bloke, I didn't think I needed one but did download a film (might be a free film or it might not Wink ) last night on uTorrent and this morning got an email from Virgin Media but guess instigated by the 'owner' saying my download of that film breached certain copyright and this is my first warning. I've never had one of before so its jolted me to prevent a second warning and this is a basic guide of how to do it.

VPN Explained - In basic terms when your connected to the internet via your ISP your router (or mobile if on 3G/4G) has an IP address assigned by the ISP to YOU. Every site you visit in a browser, every email you send, every torrent etc can log that IP and if required any "interested parties" can request from your ISP your details (or in my case, i think request a warning) given the range of IP addresses is allocated to each ISP and BT/VM/Plusnet etc knows who its allocated each of its IP at any one time. With a VPN program running on Windows, A browser add-on or tablet/mobile, you still have an IP allocated your router by your ISP but all the traffic is routed down the encrypted VPN tunnel to the VPN host then onwards to the website/streaming site then back to you via the same route. The VPN will be routing traffic for 1000s of other users along with yourself and this server may be in US, UK, EU, anywhere...eg your basically anonymous unless the VPN host has their logs requested by the CIA/FBI etc and even then I think so far they tend not to get those logs or iirc in the case of Windsscribe, they don't keep them anyway.

All your own ISP can see gobbledy gook encrypted data flow back and forth so they don't know what your downloading/browsing and if you visit a website even this one, the IP recorded won't be your own IP allocated by your ISP, it will be one of the VPN hosts own and they're not telling Wink

So thats it. I'm not advocating using a VPN for criminal purposes, but in the last few months the government and virtually all its agencies does have rights to get your "internet history" from your ISP and thats a bit 1984 Big Brother for my liking. It also has other uses eg if use Netflix and something is only available to US customers (based on IP) then you can set your VPN client to give you a US IP and get that film/program.

I've signed up to a VPN called WinScribe. It does a free option of 10GB data/month but there's deals to be had to upgrade to the unlimited data Pro version which has some useful extras. I've signed up for a 3 year Pro deal which after promo discount is a whopping $12.99 D

This is a screenshot of a) the Windows utility now installed on my PC and b) the Firefox addin which isn't really required as the Windows addin protects all Windows programs from snooping but will also install at work when my work PC's firefox's syncronises its addons so that may be useful.

One great side effect is most ads appear to be blocked too so don't really need the Adblock addin in FF anymore
https://i.imgur.com/hldcL0C.png

How to get WinScribe VPN for about $13

Windscribe Pro (unlimited data, P2p etc) 3 Year VPN for $12

1. Goto https://stacksocial.com/?rid=5407886 and create an account (you need an account before adding promo codes)
2. Choose WindScribe 3 Year Pro Deal (or lifetime for $33 with promo) add to basket then APPLY CODE MMSAVE! (could be MMSAVE without the ! i fogget but one will work and add a big discount, one will say invalid so you'll know to try the other)
3. Pay with card or paypal
4. Goto https://windscribe.com/ and create a free account (this gives 10BG/month and might be fine for basic use)
5. Download & Install the Windows Application, sign into it with the Winscribe account you've already created.
6. Download Firefox addon for extra protection
7. On stacksocial goto your purchases and CLAIM your code. Copy this and
8. On your windscribe.com paste in the code into your account and it will be upgraded

[Updated on: Sat, 24 March 2018 19:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: VPN - I finally decided to get one [message #299145 is a reply to message #299144] Sat, 24 March 2018 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
and after typing my guide, I spot this and see it explains VPN better than I can....I guess thats their job Cool

https://windscribe.com/faq

[Updated on: Sat, 24 March 2018 19:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: VPN - I finally decided to get one [message #299147 is a reply to message #299145] Sat, 24 March 2018 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slaz is currently offline  slaz   United Kingdom
(21) Valentino Rossi
Good job Mr K,VPNs are used all the time,with peeps that
use KODI,that is apart from me Grin
So what you need now is a Firesick,load Kodi,and you'll
have more films to view than you can shake a stick at Thumbs Up
Re: VPN - I finally decided to get one [message #299148 is a reply to message #299147] Sat, 24 March 2018 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
I have an Apple TV 2 (jailbroken of course) with Kodi on it although tend to use steaming my own files of my NAS Wink
Re: VPN - I finally decided to get one [message #299193 is a reply to message #299148] Fri, 30 March 2018 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gearbox is currently offline  Gearbox   United Kingdom
(15) Kenny Roberts
Thanks for the info Kermit. Like you I do visit the odd download site and in this day and age would prefer to have some sort of safety net. Will give it a go today
Re: VPN - I finally decided to get one [message #299194 is a reply to message #299193] Fri, 30 March 2018 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gearbox is currently offline  Gearbox   United Kingdom
(15) Kenny Roberts
well all done and dusted. Very easy following the instructions provided by Kermit. Many thanks
Re: VPN - I finally decided to get one [message #299195 is a reply to message #299144] Fri, 30 March 2018 11:09 Go to previous message
VTRsp2 is currently offline  VTRsp2   United Kingdom
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
Great write up & advice, thanks Thumbs Up
Have been thinking of doing something similar for a while now, have set it up this morning Grin
Previous Topic: Use Facebook? don't want them tracking you?
Next Topic: Cisco Systems Linksys Routers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 18 14:43:24 BST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01356 seconds