Home » General » Workshop » Brake Piston Extractors
Brake Piston Extractors [message #299116] Sat, 10 March 2018 11:43 Go to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   
(18) Geoff Duke
Just curious if anybody has ever tried one of these things. think
Usually pistons pop out right away with a burst of compressed air but I think we've all dealt with at least one frozen so solid it wouldn't budge. There are all sorts of homemade remedies out there, from using a screw clamp to push the piston in and compressed air to pop it out again to using a grease gun ( RollEyes ), but sometimes you just need something to pry the bugger out by the use of brute force.

I'd like to buy something I can use on a variety of pistons, including those old odd Nissin ones used on 80's Honda's and Suzuki's (mostly cars):

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/attachments/general-tech-help-7/18957d1501362909-rear-brake-caliper-sticking-brakejob012.jpg

Mercifully not something I am dealing with. Laugh

Any experience is appreciated.
Re: Brake Piston Extractors [message #299117 is a reply to message #299116] Sat, 10 March 2018 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quazi is currently offline  Quazi   
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Kakugo wrote on Sat, 10 March 2018 11:43
Just curious if anybody has ever tried one of these things. think
Usually pistons pop out right away with a burst of compressed air but I think we've all dealt with at least one frozen so solid it wouldn't budge. There are all sorts of homemade remedies out there, from using a screw clamp to push the piston in and compressed air to pop it out again to using a grease gun ( RollEyes ), but sometimes you just need something to pry the bugger out by the use of brute force.

I'd like to buy something I can use on a variety of pistons, including those old odd Nissin ones used on 80's Honda's and Suzuki's (mostly cars):

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/attachments/general-tech-help-7/18957d1501362909-rear-brake-caliper-sticking-brakejob012.jpg

Mercifully not something I am dealing with. Laugh

Any experience is appreciated.
Being the tight arsed/resourceful fella that I am, I would chop an old socket into the shape I needed, that way you already have the 1/2 or 3/8 drive attachment for which ever socket you choose to use, only need a sacrificial socket and an angle grinder. Grin

I like making tools, my latest was a USD fork compressor. smile
https://s5.postimg.org/vxvbxgujb/20171217_152026_resized.jpg

The best bit is I did it at work, so got paid whilst doing it. Wink
Re: Brake Piston Extractors [message #299118 is a reply to message #299116] Sun, 11 March 2018 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
I have built a few tools over the years. I ended up buying proper ones when they disintegrated. Grin
I cannot weld to save my life and to this day I have serious issues drilling straight into metal. Blush

After some eBay window shopping it seems this is a decent cost effective tool to buy: https:// www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JMP-Brake-Caliper-Piston-Removal-Detachin g-Pliers-Tool-Motorcycle-Motorbike-/400295355937#rwid
More or less what I had in mind.
Re: Brake Piston Extractors [message #299121 is a reply to message #299118] Sun, 11 March 2018 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gragson is currently offline  Gragson   
(1) Club Racer
Let us know how well it does Thumbs Up
I can "rent" you items to test it on Laugh
Keeping my fingers crossed on compressed air for mine...
Re: Brake Piston Extractors [message #299123 is a reply to message #299116] Mon, 12 March 2018 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
I am waiting for the Suzuki brake seals to turn up in the mail, then we'll see exactly how seized those calipers are. Grin
Re: Brake Piston Extractors [message #299124 is a reply to message #299123] Mon, 12 March 2018 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gearbox is currently offline  Gearbox   
(15) Kenny Roberts
Good luck with that job. Not sure the tool will remove those types of piston though. I looks like its designed to fit into the cup type of piston which has a hollow to insert the tool into.
I suspect that you already know that as your research is usually very thorough

Be interested to know how you get on
Re: Brake Piston Extractors [message #299125 is a reply to message #299124] Mon, 12 March 2018 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yorkie is currently offline  Yorkie   
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
Gearbox, thanks for posting that, I had been wondering how that tool was going to work, forgot all about some pistons being the cup type, now it makes sense.

Good luck with the attempts Kak Thumbs Up
Re: Brake Piston Extractors [message #299126 is a reply to message #299125] Mon, 12 March 2018 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
I think he was cross talking early nissin 4 pots as on the early gsxr and bandit fixings, in which case that tool should work providing it'll fit inside the small diameter of both piston sets.
Re: Brake Piston Extractors [message #299205 is a reply to message #299116] Mon, 02 April 2018 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
I have already tackled the Suzuki calipers which turned up to be Tokico and not Nissin.

One caliper pistons were easily dislodged just using compressed air, the others were stuck, but nothing a smaller Swedish wrench, a rag and some profanities couldn't undo. Wink
Given the amount of water I found in there I expected far more corrosion than there was... really weird as the present owner says he has never changed the brake fluid and the previous owner never serviced the bike. Mercifully this bike is a garage queen otherwise it would have long rotted away. Like the exhaust is doing right now, but that shouldn't be my problem. Laugh
The rebuild kit despite reading "Made in Japan" was only half-usable: the oil seals and o-rings were fine, the dust seals were too small, but I managed to find some slightly used ones to replace them.

PS: my "payment" for this was having my old Honda's windshield hit by a stone as I was driving home after picking up the calipers. It's the second time it has happened to me in 17 years. Laugh
I hope they still make spare windshields for this car and that insurance will at least partly cover it, but I have my doubts on both counts. I'd hate having to buy a new car just because of a windshield. think
Re: Brake Piston Extractors [message #299206 is a reply to message #299205] Mon, 02 April 2018 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(1) Club Racer
Result on those calipers, funny how fearing the worst sometimes and the job actually goes much easier, shame the reverse is also frequently true RollEyes

Is the windscreen crack to big for that repair goo?
Re: Brake Piston Extractors [message #299209 is a reply to message #299206] Mon, 02 April 2018 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
Gragson wrote on Mon, 02 April 2018 18:16
Result on those calipers, funny how fearing the worst sometimes and the job actually goes much easier, shame the reverse is also frequently true RollEyes

Is the windscreen crack to big for that repair goo?
I fear so, but I'll know about it tomorrow. It's an almost 18 years Honda I bought new in August 2000 and I am really attached to it, despite the bodywork looking like something out of a war zone. That car only let me down once and it was due to lack of refined fossil fuel.

To get back to the calipers... generally speaking I have always loathed Tokico brakes and this is no exception. Even compared to period Nissin and Sumitomo they are overbuilt to hide the poor quality of both material and design. The oil passages inside those brakes are so large I honestly doubt they could ever get clogged... albeit we were getting there due to 25+ years old brake fluid. Laugh
Re: Brake Piston Extractors [message #299210 is a reply to message #299209] Tue, 03 April 2018 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(1) Club Racer
I have 6 pot tokicos on my zx7r fronted 750 turbo, even in a bone dry garage they bind when stood for a bit
Re: Brake Piston Extractors [message #299217 is a reply to message #299210] Sat, 07 April 2018 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
Gragson wrote on Tue, 03 April 2018 13:06
I have 6 pot tokicos on my zx7r fronted 750 turbo, even in a bone dry garage they bind when stood for a bit
The only cure is to change brake fluid at least once per year (better twice): there's no need to drain the brake system dry, just "flushing" it is just as good.
Shifting to a less hygroscopic brake fluid will also help: ordinary Motul and Elf DOT4's are good. DOT5 and fancy racing products should be avoided whenever possible because they attract and retain moisture like magnets. Unless of course you can change then pretty often.

The issues I've seen on Tokico brake calipers simply defy belief. You'd expect after decades in the business competing with the likes of Brembo, Nissin and Sumitomo would have taught them something, but no.
Thta mnaufacturers still use them doesn't surprise me though. Wink
Re: Brake Piston Extractors [message #299218 is a reply to message #299217] Sun, 08 April 2018 07:34 Go to previous message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
6 pots are renowned or it, they need constant stripping and cleaning to make them not very good at the end of it. smile
Previous Topic: Knowlage wanted!
Next Topic: Guide to: Exhaust Repacking
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 21 14:17:29 BST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04739 seconds