Honda-Forums.com
Home » Bike Specific Discussion and Help » Honda's 900-1000cc Sportsbikes » Cbr1000rr6 seems to be over fuelling
Cbr1000rr6 seems to be over fuelling [message #299615] Fri, 13 July 2018 11:56 Go to next message
S92Jockey is currently offline  S92Jockey   United Kingdom
(1) Club Racer
Hello all.
I think I might need a little help with my blade..
Symptoms.
Pinking under acceleration, strong smell of fuel after riding.. (no leaks) and oil level seems to be riding..
2006 blade with just over 8k miles.. I've had it for a month now..
Only mod is a Yoshi can...
Could all of this be caused by the non standard end can? Or might it be another problem!

Thanks fellas
Mike
Re: Cbr1000rr6 seems to be over fuelling [message #299617 is a reply to message #299615] Fri, 13 July 2018 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
Take out one of the spark plugs and post a picture of how the electrode looks. That's the best way to see how you lean/rich you are running.
Just be careful not to destroy the thread in the cylinder head though. Wink

Just a couple of questions now: how many miles have you covered since you bought the bike? Did it come with any fuel in the tank?

Re: Cbr1000rr6 seems to be over fuelling [message #299618 is a reply to message #299617] Fri, 13 July 2018 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(1) Club Racer
Hi Kak.

I'm just about to fill up for my third time... bike was delivered with just under half a tank...
Re: Cbr1000rr6 seems to be over fuelling [message #299619 is a reply to message #299615] Fri, 13 July 2018 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
The smell of unburnt fuel is normal: the combination of rich fueling (typical for pre-2008 Honda's) and a straight exhaust means a lot of unburnt fuel gets dumped into the atmosphere. If you have ever been anywhere near a running stock Hornet 900 you know what I am talking about.

The "pinking" under acceleration is what I don't understand because pinking (or knocking) is usually caused by degraded fuel (common) or ignition issues (less common). If the bike is stock it rules out the latter and since the fuel the bike came with has already been used it rules out the former. Is it possible your "pinking" is actually something else? A tight, dry chain can cause issues under acceleration. If the previous owner didn't look after the chain it's possible there are a few tight spots already. Just something easy to check and which doesn't require specialized tools.

I haven't seen knocking in a stock four-stroke engine in... twenty years? Two stroke engines are another matter completely but people do the most stupid things with chainsaws... think
Re: Cbr1000rr6 seems to be over fuelling [message #299620 is a reply to message #299619] Fri, 13 July 2018 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(1) Club Racer
Thank you for the Info.
The bike was purchased from a reputable dealer far Oop north... and was apparently thoroughly serviced
interesting you say about the chain, though it is well waxed, in my opinion, it's a little tight...
I'll slacken it off a touch and see if it makes a difference smile
Re: Cbr1000rr6 seems to be over fuelling [message #299622 is a reply to message #299615] Sat, 14 July 2018 10:18 Go to previous message
(18) Geoff Duke
There's one thing that popped into my mind about this "pinging" tonight.

If it's a sound, like a nut or pebble bouncing against a sheet of metal, we are most likely worrying too much. I remember when the first generation 1000RR came out a few of the many complaints about those bikes was excessive mechanical noise, of which various hard to locate metallic pings were part. To the best of my knowledge the source(s) of these pings was never located and as it did not seem to affect performances or reliability there wasn't much interest in fixing it. I have this vague memory about the exhaust servo-valve being considered the most likely suspect but, again, there were no particular issues with this part.
Just a case of strange mechanical noise, in short. think

Previous Topic: Crate Engines
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Oct 23 15:12:14 BST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01470 seconds