Honda-Forums.com
Home » Bike Specific Discussion and Help » CB600, CB900, CB1000, CB1300 » CB600: Removing bar end insert on the throttle grip side
CB600: Removing bar end insert on the throttle grip side [message #299720] Mon, 03 September 2018 17:06 Go to next message
TheSting is currently offline  TheSting   United Kingdom
(1) Club Racer
How to remove the bar end insert from the throttle side of the handlebars on a 1998 Honda Hornet 600, please?

The other (left hand) side was a complete nightmare that ended up involving peeling off the grip in order to remove it and expose two opposing holes, drilling in to the holes to break the grip of a clip inside, inserting a bolt with large washer (nipped up against the head with a nut) in to the the bar end thread, and hammering the washer hard to gradually work out the looooooooooooooong insert.

On the throttle side I can't use this approach without removing the throttle grip assembly, which I don't want to.

I don't mind if I damage the insert as it will be replaced with a new expanding insert to allow the fitment of a bar-end mirror.

Cheers!

[Updated on: Mon, 03 September 2018 17:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: CB600: Removing bar end insert on the throttle grip side [message #299721 is a reply to message #299720] Mon, 03 September 2018 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
Well, you do need to remove the grip, otherwise this will be another mechanical nightmare. Wink

That small hole you saw in the handlebar, if you look close enough you'll see a tab inside it. You need to straighten that tab with a screwdriver or a punch to remove the inner weight... that's the trick you missed the first time. Wink
Once the tab is straightened tighten the end weight as much as you can and use it to rotate the inner weight outside the handlebar. Install is in reverse order: you just need to rotate the inner weight to lock it in place.

The throttle tube is no big deal, but I strongly suggest you get a small tube of Honda's own "handgrip cement" for the other grip. It's the only glue I've used that will keep handgrips from moving about even after years of hard use.
icon14.gif  Re: CB600: Removing bar end insert on the throttle grip side [message #299722 is a reply to message #299721] Mon, 03 September 2018 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheSting is currently offline  TheSting   United Kingdom
(1) Club Racer
Thank you, Kakugo. I tried a punch and a small screwdriver first time round on the little tabs for the left hand bar weight insert's clip, but ended up drilling them out.

To the right hand side; yes, I ended up removing the throttle assembly after all a couple of hours ago. Having first removed the brake reservoir (the hoses to which otherwise prevented enough movement of the handlebars) and then the handlebars from the head, the throttle grip assembly had just enough free movement to slide completely off. I then drilled out the clip tabs, and as you suggested, put the bar weight back on to rotate this and the insert whilst gradually pulling the assembly off. (Ouch, by the end of it)

Now to wait for the new expanding (and crucially, non-rotating) inserts to arrive so I can refit the original Hornet bar ends and then mount the bar-end mirrors from my Triumph Thruxton R that are a perfect cosmetic and physical match as well as giving a better field of view for my stature and riding position. I found out they fitted just out of interest having fitted Halcyon 830 mirrors to the Triumph that are a better retro match in my opinion than the factory originals.

As an aside, you are absolutely spot-on with your hand grip comment for the left hand side; I've owned my Hornet from new on September 1st 1998 and for the past 19 of 20 years have become conditioned to automatically twist the outside end of the left hand grip straight at the end of every ride! Having taken it off earlier today I've put it back on with hair spray - and if this doesn't hold will buy some Honda hand grip cement.

Thanks again for taking the time to advise. Thumbs Up smile
Re: CB600: Removing bar end insert on the throttle grip side [message #299723 is a reply to message #299720] Wed, 05 September 2018 15:45 Go to previous message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
No problem, you are welcome.
Previous Topic: ignition barrel
Next Topic: Introduce yourselves and your bike(s)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Oct 23 15:14:03 BST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01182 seconds