Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » Workshop » Teikei Carburetors
Teikei Carburetors [message #299752] Tue, 18 September 2018 20:28 Go to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
Does anybody remember these? They were used on Yamaha trail bikes, Bultaco trials and the like up to the early 90's, and for good reason: bloody pieces of junk they were. Laugh

Anyway, they were used until recently on brushcutters and other agri/forestry engines and I have the misfortune of having one sitting in my shop which is driving me insane. Well, more insane than usual.
I had to order some specific tools just to open it and clean it up (a little over £10, but I had to look for that stuff over the hills and far away) and yet it still behaves in a way I've never seen a carburetor behave before.

To cut a long story short, if the next bath in carburetor cleaner doesn't work its likely the bloody thing needs a rebuild kit. It's still available from the engine manufacturer and costs an eye watering €60. eek The most amazing thing is that an extra €30 will buy an original carburetor, ready to go. Teikei sold exactly the same kit under their own name but for much less and that's what I am after. Too bad it's apparently as common as hen teeth.

If you happen upon a Teikei TK-5 rebuild kit, let me know. It could really save my day. Thumbs Up
Re: Teikei Carburetors [message #299753 is a reply to message #299752] Wed, 19 September 2018 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently online  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Gasket and diaphragm kit any good? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teikei-Replacement-TK5-Gasket-and -Diaphragm-Kit-Fits-Shindaiwa-C350-B-450/26392816908

Seller has full rebuild kits for various TKx models, almost like the only full kit he doesn't have is the TK5 but might be worth messaging them just in case

The price for a full TK2 kit is about £10+3 international postage so might be worth the wait if they do have one just not listed

[Updated on: Wed, 19 September 2018 21:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Teikei Carburetors [message #299754 is a reply to message #299753] Thu, 20 September 2018 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
Kermit wrote on Wed, 19 September 2018 22:14
Gasket and diaphragm kit any good? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teikei-Replacement-TK5-Gasket-and -Diaphragm-Kit-Fits-Shindaiwa-C350-B-450/26392816908

Seller has full rebuild kits for various TKx models, almost like the only full kit he doesn't have is the TK5 but might be worth messaging them just in case

The price for a full TK2 kit is about £10+3 international postage so might be worth the wait if they do have one just not listed
Page missing. think

I will contact the seller and ask him very nicely though. Thumbs Up
Re: Teikei Carburetors [message #299755 is a reply to message #299752] Sat, 22 September 2018 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
The rebuild kit is on its way from Australia. Thumbs Up
Thanks again. smile

And since I know how these things can end up I also have a TK clone on its way from China. It may need some work to fit but I like to have a fallback plan that won't cost me an arm and leg. Wink

[Updated on: Sat, 22 September 2018 08:44]

Re: Teikei Carburetors [message #299756 is a reply to message #299755] Sat, 22 September 2018 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Result Thumbs Up
Re: Teikei Carburetors [message #299830 is a reply to message #299752] Fri, 19 October 2018 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
What a complete fooking nightmare this has been. Laugh

I'd rate this as my third most problematic carburetor rebuild ever, and I may not be out of the woods yet because I want to test the thing from a cold start and cut something with it: I suspect it may be still a tiny bit lean on the low-speed circuit. think

For those hungry for information, the pump diaphragm had gone too stiff to do its job and its gaskets were so cooked I had to scrape them from the carburetor body. You can thank the EU ethanol mandate for that. No Finger
Re: Teikei Carburetors [message #299832 is a reply to message #299830] Mon, 22 October 2018 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
I don't know much about carbs and assuming you got the new gaskets/diaphragm isn't low speed circuit adjustable with a screw or are they very low tech?
Re: Teikei Carburetors [message #299834 is a reply to message #299752] Tue, 23 October 2018 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
These TK carburetor have only two possible settings: idle and low speed. They are very strange beasts as far as membrane carburetors go. think

Anyway the problem was due to the low speed adjuster having been enriched way way too much: no doubt the owner had tried to compensate fueling as the pump membrane degraded. No mean feat as it requires a special and exotic adjustment tool... so special and exotic you can buy a whole set on Amazon for about £10. Laugh
The big problem is there's no baseline setting for these emission-compliant TK carburetors so you basically have to go at random. Took me about 15 minutes in which I learned how loud this thing is. eek
Re: Teikei Carburetors [message #299837 is a reply to message #299834] Tue, 23 October 2018 15:44 Go to previous message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
despite the noise, as I know with the karts it can be quite satisfying tinkering with what carbs settings are availale (limited in your case) on 2 strokes (or 4) and finally finding the sweet spot that works for starting, idle and fully on song full power, 15mins ain't bad* Thumbs Up

*unless you live in block of flats and doing it after 9pm

[Updated on: Tue, 23 October 2018 15:46]

Previous Topic: Bolt Broken Flush
Next Topic: Guide to: Exhaust Repacking
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Oct 23 16:02:14 BST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01448 seconds