Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » Technical Help » Ailing Motherboard
icon5.gif  Ailing Motherboard [message #299884] Mon, 29 October 2018 18:00 Go to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
I suspect the motherboard on my home PC is not so well. think

Lately I started having serious connectivity issues, despite Windows telling me I have Internet access, and over the past few days I've had some really weird stuff happening, such as the PC shutting down when trying to diagnose a connection issue or Mr Kaspersky having troubles initializing.
As said, weird stuff which makes me lean towards a hardware issue.
Question is: as my HD's apppear to be sound can I just buy a new motherboard and processor, slap them on and pretend nothing happened?
Re: Ailing Motherboard [message #299889 is a reply to message #299884] Tue, 30 October 2018 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Probably yes if Windows 10 as that seems to adjust itself quite well to new hardware. If Windows 10 and you upgraded from Windows 7 or 8, then check that the activation is linked to your Microsoft account assuming thats what you login to Win10 with rather than local account

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22362&private=0

With Windows 7/8, then ensure you have your license key eg license sticker or original DVD case. If you don't have that there's utilities available to reveal your key and save (or take a pic with mobile) for safe keeping. Windows 7 isn't quite as good at adjusting itself but if I was doing a mobo swap, I'd start by uninstalling all existing driver related programs from Programs and Features list (usually sound related & graphics drivers if you use onboard sound/graphics) before the final shutdown and mobo swap as that'll start you off with a cleaner setup with the new board.

With regards the current mobo, its usually the capacitors that start to go. Some more expensive board have more solid state type capacitors these days (flatter boxy shaped ones a bit like a 5mm chip). If yours are the more regular cylinder/can shaped ones you can do a quick check (with PC off) by putting a finger on top of each of them. If the top feels flat its usually ok. If it feels slightly convex then odds are they are failing and that may help you decide if its the mobo. They can be replaced if you reasonably handy with a soldering iron as quite big joints to de-solder & only 2 per capacitor but you'll need to ID the correct types and order them but should be <£3 of ebay or similar.

That said, it could equally well be your PSU thats failing as possibly for similar reasons (capacitors), if they start to wobble on the specific voltage/currents they have to deliver (1.5v, 3.3v, 5v and 12v) then that can reveal itself as sudden reboots and instability. PSU can possibly also be diagnoised if you care to take apart and check capacitors or for any other likely dry joints.

I've fixed a few PSU and mobos (& a TV) over the years with new capacitors as its virtually the only electronics repair thats possible these days for the layman

[Updated on: Tue, 30 October 2018 21:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Ailing Motherboard [message #299890 is a reply to message #299889] Tue, 30 October 2018 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Product key viewer (trusted site)

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Make a note, photo or save keys to USB stick etc
Re: Ailing Motherboard [message #299893 is a reply to message #299884] Wed, 31 October 2018 08:42 Go to previous message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
Thank you very much.

I was originally leaning towards a power supply unit because it wouldn't be the first time I had one starting to fail and this is the one that came with the case, meaning it was the cheapest they could find. Laugh
But this area is much subject to brownouts, and among the various issues I've had a mysterious unknown "PCI device" appear. Going by hardware ID it's an AMD IOMMU... not sure if this is related or not.
Previous Topic: More Apple Shenanigans
Next Topic: CB 750 petrol tank breather
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Nov 20 20:27:47 GMT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01778 seconds