Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » General Discussion » ns125 crank rebuild help (looking for recommendations)
ns125 crank rebuild help [message #300576] Sun, 14 April 2019 19:53 Go to next message
wheezer is currently offline  wheezer   United Kingdom
(1) Club Racer
hi, new to the forum, just purchashed an ns125. and im looking for recommendations to have the crank rebuilt, barrel and piston repaired/replaced. i will be doing the rest of the work myself. im north east uk. had one of these when i was 17 and loved it, and it's too nice a bike to break.
Re: ns125 crank rebuild help [message #300577 is a reply to message #300576] Mon, 15 April 2019 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
Your best bet is to find a good power equipment workshop near to you: they are among the very few people left nowadays with the experience and expertise to rebuild a two-stroke engine. This would obviously require some haggling on your part and bringing in the engine out frame.
The problem is of course what went wrong in the engine. think

Crankshaft bearings are not a problem as they are easily available. Same thing for all engine gaskets. I think there are still aftermarket con-rods available but short of finding a used crankshaft that could be a deal breaker.
Top end... the damage needs to be evaluated. Pistons and rings are not a problem (but expensive) but the cylinder is another matter completely. If the damage is not too serious it can be successfully honed. Mind that cylinder honing is a dying art and that if the cylinder had already been honed (or worse, bored-out) over the past three decades things can turn nasty and expensive quickly.
Re: ns125 crank rebuild help [message #300579 is a reply to message #300577] Mon, 15 April 2019 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gearbox is currently offline  Gearbox   United Kingdom
(15) Kenny Roberts
Quick google threw this up. Exchange crank. worth a call, sure they will post.

I used Chris Applebee for my t350 crank rebuild, but he in in Kent
Re: ns125 crank rebuild help [message #300580 is a reply to message #300579] Tue, 16 April 2019 00:00 Go to previous message
wheezer is currently offline  wheezer   United Kingdom
(1) Club Racer
thanks for the advice, after some ringing around i found somebody local who will rebuild the crankshaft and fit new top end. however, they won't go near the gearbox, say they have had failures after rebuilds on similar bikes and wont risk it. so stripped the engine and gearbox, and to my pleasure found all pieces in great condition. just some minor scraping on crankshaft casing and barrel due to piston skirt breaking apart. will be dropping the crank and engine block into the shop tomorrow. very reasonable price too.
Previous Topic: Got myself a half decent drone
Next Topic: bore wear
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 15:36:26 BST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01294 seconds