Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » Technical Help » Windows Update
Windows Update [message #301154] Wed, 04 September 2019 22:20 Go to next message
slaz is currently offline  slaz   United Kingdom
(21) Valentino Rossi
Done and dusted,you where right it did take a while,i've now got ,,,,
Windows 10 Version 1903 Thumbs Up

Thanks for the other night Wink Wink eek Laugh
Re: Windows Update [message #301155 is a reply to message #301154] Wed, 04 September 2019 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Thumbs Up

Now to regain approx 30GB or so the old copy of Windows 10 which you now don't need is in folder C:\Windows.old (right-click and properties of the folder to view the size of this)

To get rid of that go to SETTINGS -> UPDATE & SECURITY -> Under Related Links click CHECK STORAGE -> CONFIGURE STORAGE SENSE OR RUN IT NOW

Enable it and tick a few boxes mainly to get rid of TEMPORARY FILES and at the bottom you should have OLD WINDOWS or similar tick box. I set mine to run weekly rather than just when disk space usage as low as possible as this helps keep my weekly incrementation and monthly full Macrium backups of my PC smaller.

Storage Sense is a bit like CCleaner in a way that it gets rid of crap you don't need although if your like most people & keep stuff in your DOWNLOADS folder, ensure the DELETE FILES IN DOWNLOAD FOLDER is not selected or maybe 60 days if you do want stuff from there cleaning up from time to time. Personally, I manually clean up my downloads, move stuff elsewhere I plan to keep like useful docs or installers than I may reuse and delete crap I no longer need

[Updated on: Wed, 04 September 2019 22:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Windows Update [message #301160 is a reply to message #301155] Thu, 05 September 2019 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VTRsp2 is currently offline  VTRsp2   United Kingdom
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
Apologies for jumping in on your thread Slaz Beet #1

I've tried several times recently to install the 1903 update & it gets so far & stops. I've tried downloading it, disconnecting from the internet, disabling antivirus & still no luck.
All other updates install fine, but 1903 just won't play ball Sad

Any tips Kermit would be most appreciated smile
Re: Windows Update [message #301164 is a reply to message #301160] Fri, 06 September 2019 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
I take it your on Windows 10 now, so you've been to settings Windows update,
when you clicked on update did you leave the PC untouched, I did mine in the
morning and it took till late in the afternoon to complete.

Obviously Kermit will know what's going on better than I, but that's just what I did
Good luck πŸ‘

PS No worries about jumping in, I've done it once or twice πŸ€”πŸ˜±πŸ˜ŽπŸ€˜

[Updated on: Fri, 06 September 2019 11:05]

Re: Windows Update [message #301165 is a reply to message #301160] Fri, 06 September 2019 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
As per Slaz query, I assume your already on Windows 10 but an earlier build?

Have you checked how much disk space you have available as you'd need ~30GB or so free on the main C drive to allow it to download and archive the old version of windows to C:\Windows.old?

Prior to updating its a good idea to go through Programs and Features and uninstall anything you don't use, perhaps uninstall the Antivirus if use a third party AV rather than rely on MS Defender (or whatever they're calling it this week) as it might be stopping Windows doing a crucial part of the update.

Also run Disk Cleanup and check the option to remove any old Windows versions, Windows updates etc. Turn off & empty System restore to free up more space if low on C drive.

If none of the above helps, let me know about the above queries and I'll try think of something else to try.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 September 2019 13:57]

Re: Windows Update [message #301167 is a reply to message #301165] Fri, 06 September 2019 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
Thanks Slaz Thumbs Up

Kermit wrote on Fri, 06 September 2019 13:55
As per Slaz query, I assume your already on Windows 10 but an earlier build?

Have you checked how much disk space you have available as you'd need ~30GB or so free on the main C drive to allow it to download and archive the old version of windows to C:\Windows.old?

Prior to updating its a good idea to go through Programs and Features and uninstall anything you don't use, perhaps uninstall the Antivirus if use a third party AV rather than rely on MS Defender (or whatever they're calling it this week) as it might be stopping Windows doing a crucial part of the update.

Also run Disk Cleanup and check the option to remove any old Windows versions, Windows updates etc. Turn off & empty System restore to free up more space if low on C drive.

If none of the above helps, let me know about the above queries and I'll try think of something else to try.
Ok, the current OS is Win 10 Home edition, Version 1809.
According to the properties for drive C there's 72.7GB free space.
Just looked in the Update History page & the last time I tried to update (including turning off AV, disconncting internet etc) it's given this code:- 0x80240034.
The last update to be installed was on 28/08/2019 (2019-07 Cumulative Update for .NET framework 3.5, 4.7.2, 4.8 for Windows 10), so it's definitely accepting some.
As this is an old PC then yes I'd left it alone/didn't use it etc but to no avail Sad

I'll try disk clean up etc as suggested & try again Pray

As the big Austrian said....."I'll be back" Grin
Re: Windows Update [message #301171 is a reply to message #301167] Fri, 06 September 2019 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
You should have also had a 2019-08 Cumluative Update by now if updating was working properly even on Build 1809

Disk space is ok so likely the download store is corrupted. Try the Windows Update troubleshooter which is in Control Panel (not settings) as below

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22467&private=0

If that doesn't work this video guide for fixes

• Attachment: Capture.JPG
    (Size: 60.93KB, Downloaded 62 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 06 September 2019 22:30]

Re: Windows Update [message #301176 is a reply to message #301171] Sat, 07 September 2019 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
Ok, update time Grin ....... no pun intended Laugh Get your coat

I got rid of all the old Win 10, Temp install files etc as per Kermit's instuctions in the 2nd post of this thread.
Set the power & sleep options to 'Never' so as not to disturb anything while moving the mouse to check on progress (probably doesn't make any difference TBH, but it's something I've done since having an install/update crash years ago RollEyes ).
Then started the update .......at 7.30am this morning!!! eek

..........& It finished successfully about 1/2hr ago Grin Grin

Thanks guys, much appreciated Thumbs Up Beet #1
Re: Windows Update [message #301178 is a reply to message #301176] Sat, 07 September 2019 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
Top result πŸ‘πŸ»
Re: Windows Update [message #301179 is a reply to message #301155] Sat, 07 September 2019 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
[quote title=Kermit wrote on Wed, 04 September 2019 22:52]Thumbs Up

Now to regain approx 30GB or so the old copy of Windows 10 which you now don't need is in folder C:\Windows.old (right-click and properties of the folder to view the size of this)

To get rid of that go to SETTINGS -> UPDATE & SECURITY -> Under Related Links click CHECK STORAGE -> CONFIGURE STORAGE SENSE OR RUN IT NOW

Enable it and tick a few boxes mainly to get rid of TEMPORARY FILES and at the bottom you should have OLD WINDOWS or similar tick box. I set mine to run weekly rather than just when disk space usage as low as possible as this helps keep my weekly incrementation and monthly full Macrium backups of my PC smaller.

Storage Sense is a bit like CCleaner in a way that it gets rid of crap you don't need although if your like most people & keep stuff in your DOWNLOADS folder, ensure the DELETE FILES IN DOWNLOAD FOLDER is not selected or maybe 60 days if you do want stuff from there cleaning up from time to time. Personally, I manually clean up my downloads, move stuff elsewhere I plan to keep like useful docs or installers than I may reuse and delete crap I no longer need
[/

Before,,,,Disc 208
156 used,,,,52 free

After,,,,,Disc 208
133 used 74 free

Go on give us a job Thumbs Up
Re: Windows Update [message #301181 is a reply to message #301179] Sat, 07 September 2019 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
I'll give you a job as soon as you work out how the quote tags work Wink

but Thumbs Up
Re: Windows Update [message #301183 is a reply to message #301181] Sun, 08 September 2019 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
That's sounds like my school report, must try harder πŸ™„πŸ˜ΆπŸ‘
Re: Windows Update [message #301184 is a reply to message #301183] Sun, 08 September 2019 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
slaz
That's sounds like my school report
on the plus side, at least you've got a very good memory Thumbs Up Wink
Re: Windows Update [message #301185 is a reply to message #301184] Sun, 08 September 2019 14:12 Go to previous message
Yorkie is currently offline  Yorkie   United Kingdom
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
Kermit wrote on Sun, 08 September 2019 10:56
slaz
That's sounds like my school report
on the plus side, at least you've got a very good memory Thumbs Up Wink

Laugh Laugh Laugh
Previous Topic: Ipad problem
Next Topic: Microsoft Fix It's for common issues
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 22 17:34:31 BST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01211 seconds