Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » General Discussion » Batteries
Batteries [message #301127] Sat, 24 August 2019 21:06 Go to next message
WD   Netherlands
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
Been having some bother with my battery on the R1 so I've swapped out for a lithium ion.

Think what did it is the GPS tracker I hadve installed, though the power draw for that should only be 10mA. It shouldn't really have killed it. First time it wouldn't start was after a weeks Holliday and it sitting idle.

FYI this is the tracker
https:// www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/db1-lite-compact-gps-tracker-tracki ng-device

Anyone have any experience with a lithium battery on their bike?

On a side note. It's less than a 1/3 the weight. Wich is nice...

[Updated on: Sat, 24 August 2019 21:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Batteries [message #301130 is a reply to message #301127] Sat, 24 August 2019 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WD   Netherlands
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
Also, does anyone know anything about battery manufacturing dates?
Re: Batteries [message #301132 is a reply to message #301127] Sun, 25 August 2019 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
Generally fine for trackday use (for no other reason they require far less frequent recharges while the bike is not in use) but not so much for everyday use: they still have serious issues with discharge capacity at around and under 5°C. There are now a few LiFePO4 batteries which can keep their capacity up to -20°C but it's mostly large stuff (20Ah and more) for stationary applications.
Let's just say there's a good reason why Toyota hybrids have a battery of Li cells for traction but still rely on an old fashioned lead Yuasa for starting.

Regarding date codes. Yuasa batteries have a code looking like this stamped on top: 18 05 20 6B where 18 is the year (2018), 05 the month, 20 the day, 6 the manufacturing plant and B the shift. Other manufacturers use different codes: for example Enersys (manufacturer of Hawker and Odyssey batteries) uses a X/YY/Z format where X is the month, YY the year and Z the shift.
Re: Batteries [message #301186 is a reply to message #301132] Sun, 08 September 2019 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWB929 is currently offline  RWB929   United Kingdom
(13) MotoGP Champion
Confuses me, as I've seen somewhere that lithium batteries need a special charger (not sure if thats true) so is an older bikes charging system compatible with a lithium battery think

However the Beta uses one and have to admit, it can sit for 3 months without being ridden, and with just a small stab at the starter button to wake it up, and then a proper press of the starter it fires the bike into life.
Re: Batteries [message #301187 is a reply to message #301186] Mon, 09 September 2019 07:53 Go to previous message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
RWB929 wrote on Sun, 08 September 2019 21:35
Confuses me, as I've seen somewhere that lithium batteries need a special charger (not sure if thats true) so is an older bikes charging system compatible with a lithium battery think

However the Beta uses one and have to admit, it can sit for 3 months without being ridden, and with just a small stab at the starter button to wake it up, and then a proper press of the starter it fires the bike into life.
Most regular battery chargers will run a desulfation cycle while doing their thing. If I remember correctly this cycle consists of high frequency pulses to break down lead sulfate deposited on the plates.
Lithium battery cells can be damaged by those pulses: that's why the need for a "special battery charger", actually just an ordinary battery charger which doesn't run a desulfation cycle. Wink

No charging system that I know of generates a desulfation pulse, so they are all perfectly compatible with lithium batteries. Well, apart from old (pre-Shindengen) Honda ones which had a nasty habit of committing ritual suicide taking the battery with them. Laugh
Previous Topic: Different Forums
Next Topic: Another good tyre deal £129 for pair of sporty tyres
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 22 17:36:35 BST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01453 seconds