Honda-Forums.com
Home » Racing, Tackdays and Riding » Racing » Lorenzo retires
Lorenzo retires [message #301452] Fri, 15 November 2019 15:43 Go to next message
Gearbox is currently offline  Gearbox   United Kingdom
(15) Kenny Roberts
About time for racing thread,

Jorge has announced his retirement from racing and his last race will be at Valencia.

Leaves Honda without a factory rider for the testing next week....
Re: Lorenzo retires [message #301453 is a reply to message #301452] Fri, 15 November 2019 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWB929 is currently offline  RWB929   United Kingdom
(13) MotoGP Champion
Never liked or disliked JL, but he certainly was smooth on that Yamaha and seemed to have got to grips with the Ducati at the end of his time with them, shame it didn't work with the Honda as it would have been good to have another Challenger for the podiums in every race, but fair play to him for not being afraid to retire, maybe a certain other rider should take note Wink

I think they will give the HRC ride to Cal, and his ride to Zarco, Cal has a year on his contract so if he doesn't do the business on the Full factory ride it'll be easy to replace him, and giving Zarco a year on the not quite full factory bike will show Honda if he has it in him to step up to the HRC ride, this opens the door for the younger Marquez to either go join the satellite bike or the HRC bike in a years time.

[Updated on: Fri, 15 November 2019 22:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Lorenzo retires [message #301456 is a reply to message #301453] Sat, 16 November 2019 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(15) Kenny Roberts
Think it could be a complicated decision due to sponcer clashes. Cal is with Monster and Honda Red Bull. Nakagami has a big deal with Itmetsu and I think Zarco is freer.

Marc makes no secret of wanting Alex in MotoGP, but that Honda could be too much for a Rookie, unless the 2020 bike is a bit more docile
Re: Lorenzo retires [message #301459 is a reply to message #301456] Sat, 16 November 2019 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pipe is currently offline  Pipe   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Looking likely to be Alex, ensuring Marc doesn't have a serious competitor from within the HRC Team.

As for 'other retirements' it is time Fabio had Valentino's bike, sad as I am to say it.
Re: Lorenzo retires [message #301460 is a reply to message #301459] Sun, 17 November 2019 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yorkie is currently offline  Yorkie   United Kingdom
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
That's Rossi doomed then if even Pipe is admitting it's time for him to go. Wink
Re: Lorenzo retires [message #301461 is a reply to message #301452] Mon, 18 November 2019 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
I suspect Lorenzo's long list of injuries finally caught up with him. Given what he broke, bruised and bent out of shape over the years it must be hard for him to get out of bed in the morning, let alone do anything else.

And I strongly suspect Rossi will still be "racing" at 87 if he can sell a single crummy overpriced t-shirt. Wink

As an amateur wrestler once told me "Better to retire when people say "He is retiring? Why? For his age he's still pretty good." instead of "He is retiring? I thought that chap died years ago!"." Wink
Re: Lorenzo retires [message #301464 is a reply to message #301461] Mon, 18 November 2019 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(15) Kenny Roberts
Alex confirmed on a one year deal. Hope the 2020 Honda is less of an animal for his sake
Re: Lorenzo retires [message #301481 is a reply to message #301464] Wed, 20 November 2019 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Shame JL retired but we could see it coming all year and while much of it may have been physical and some the 'difficult' bike, I suspect most of it was down to loosing his 'mojo' and being psychological and can't blame him as it comes to us all in lessor or greater degrees as we get older. MotoGP/racing in general and the crashes from going over the limit have make it tough to keep riding within an inch of the limit. I just think JL's limit was lower than for example VR or MM's, he reached it and I don't blame him although its a shame the HRC bike was in effect wasted for the year. I wonder if we'll see him staying the sport in some fashion or just blending out of the public eye totally.

Have to say I'm looking forward to Alex in the same team as his brother. I can't imagine he'll threaten MM although it'll be interesting to see how close he gets and I do have to wonder how much Marc will confide/coach Alex on how to get the most out of the bike if thats something that can be conveyed as I wouldn't image other fast riders tend to coach team mates that are struggling Tongue

Fingers crossed Alex's arrival doesn't result in a wall in the garage by half way in the season Laugh

[Updated on: Wed, 20 November 2019 23:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Lorenzo retires [message #301482 is a reply to message #301481] Thu, 21 November 2019 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(15) Kenny Roberts
Not sure if Alex will subdue that Honda, but the 2020 bike could be softer and he could shine. Cal struggled with the 19 bike and he was the next best Honda. On the 18 bike, he was far more competitive.
Not looked at yesterdays testing yet, so dont have any idea of who is going fast on what.
Early days too as the bikes are just getting a shakedown to see if they are right. Sepang may well tell more.

Think JL's decision may well have been hastened by that back injury. He was fortunate not be be in a wheelchair. Could not afford another vrash like that...
Re: Lorenzo retires [message #301484 is a reply to message #301482] Thu, 21 November 2019 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quazi is currently offline  Quazi   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
He finally beat Rossi.
Re: Lorenzo retires [message #301485 is a reply to message #301484] Fri, 22 November 2019 10:06 Go to previous message
Yorkie is currently offline  Yorkie   United Kingdom
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
Quazi wrote on Thu, 21 November 2019 19:37
He finally beat Rossi.

Laugh Laugh
Previous Topic: Here we go again
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jan 24 05:54:13 GMT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02299 seconds