Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » Workshop » Ultrasonic Cleaner
Ultrasonic Cleaner [message #301631] Thu, 09 January 2020 16:32 Go to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
Has anyone bought one yet? think
They aren't cheap but prices have come down a long way in the last couple of years.

I am mostly interested to learn if they clean filthy parts like they say on the box: given what I spend in solvents each year one would pay itself back rather quickly, especially considering the "exclusive fluid" used is dirt cheap to produce. Wink

I am interested in opinions/experiences etc.

Thanks.
Re: Ultrasonic Cleaner [message #301632 is a reply to message #301631] Thu, 09 January 2020 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
No although was tempted a year or two ago for the same reason as you. Supposed to be good for cleaning carbs (when we had our karts) but can't really think of any need for one now unless your talking a larger one that could clean bike parts and make them look like new?

I think you still need chemicals too?
Re: Ultrasonic Cleaner [message #301633 is a reply to message #301631] Thu, 09 January 2020 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
A 10L unit can comfortably take one big (40-42mm) Keihin or Bing carbutteror, but you could probably get away with a good quality 6L one. No point in putting a whole set of four in there. We are talking £300 or so for a good quality product in this range.

I don't think I'll do any more bike carburetors in the near future, so I could probably get away with a smaller one to clean all those difficult smaller parts. think

There are explosion-proof ultrasonic cleaners that can use volatile solvents such as acetone and toluene but they are prohibitively expensive even for workshops. The standard "acqueous ultrasonic cleaning solution" can be manufactured at home using nothing more than water, ammonium salts (available from garden and pet supplies stores) and liquid dish-washing soap. That's about it. Wink

I am still in the "budgeting for the year" phase, so I am thinking of all the stuff I may want to buy for the shop.
Re: Ultrasonic Cleaner [message #301634 is a reply to message #301633] Fri, 10 January 2020 17:02 Go to previous message
Quazi is currently offline  Quazi   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
I haven't got one bud, but all the guys I know that have rave about them and I've seen the results especially where carbs are concerned. The key seems to be to use the right cleaner fluid too, regardless of what other stories you hear about soap, salt blah blah..

I don't need to buy one. Wink
Previous Topic: CB500, brake circuit turns on front side light
Next Topic: Condensation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jan 24 06:18:15 GMT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02507 seconds