Honda-Forums.com
Home » Bike Specific Discussion and Help » Supermoto, Motocross, Enduro, Trail etc.. » My mates African Twin
My mates African Twin [message #302547] Wed, 22 July 2020 22:49 Go to next message
slaz is currently offline  slaz   United Kingdom
(21) Valentino Rossi
Eh up fella's my mate posted this on another site,i sent him the link
for here,but he ended up somewhere else {dont ask)
Anyway has anyone got any advice i could send him please think

Hi folks, my xrv was left for eight months over seas, on returning i drained the fuel and flushed it through changed the plugs oil ect but it would only start on one cylinder i have since cleaned the jet on the offending pot it now runs better BUT! mid range is fluffy and it pops and bangs further up the range but ticks over sweetly before anything else like a full carb strip down, is there any fuel flush type addertive i can use safely to help clear out , what i think could be a part blockage in the carb(s) any advice tips or tricks would be appreciated.
Re: My mates African Twin [message #302548 is a reply to message #302547] Thu, 23 July 2020 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
Hi Slaz.
Need to know the model year and/or model type (RD03, RD04 etc) it is. They are pretty different beasts ignition-wise, and on these old 52Β° Honda twins ignition is always the first thing I would check for these running issues. Not exactly Honda's most enlightened design. Laugh

Regarding carburetor cleaning there's absolutely nothing that will take the varnish left by unleaded oxygenated fuel off just like that. The carburetor needs to be stripped and cleaned, either with an ultrasonic cleaner or with an overnight bath in carburetor cleaner. Believe me: I've done way too many carburetors over the past 5/6 years and if there was a magic cure I'd buy the whole factory right away.
Re: My mates African Twin [message #302549 is a reply to message #302548] Thu, 23 July 2020 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
Hi Kak thanks for your reply, just sent my mate a copy,
awaiting his reply,,,,Thanks again 😎🀘
Re: My mates African Twin [message #302550 is a reply to message #302549] Thu, 23 July 2020 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
Ok Kak,it’s an RD/04 1991 πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
Re: My mates African Twin [message #302551 is a reply to message #302550] Thu, 23 July 2020 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
slaz wrote on Thu, 23 July 2020 14:25
Ok Kak,it’s an RD/04 1991 πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
First thing to do is to check how sparks are on the affected cylinder (remember: these are twin spark plug models): the RD04 in particular had problems with the pulse generators as it aged. These pulse generators have some very skectchy wiring albeit usually it can be resoldered. I had a Transalp driving me nuts with a pulse generator. Then it was fixed in 15 minutes. Wall

If spark is fine, it's time to move on to the carburetors. I'd dare a guess and say both carburetors need new membranes ("vacuum pistons" as Honda called them) but the one in the affected cylinder is probably badly cracked, this explaining why the bike runs so lean in mid range on that cylinder. Besides this, those Keihin floats had a nasty habit of going "out synch" with age: in short float height needs to be checked every ten years or so. Finally the dreaded air cut off valves are probably cracked as well, but fortunately these can simply be plugged (if it hasn't been done already) and they usually only affect fueling when the throttle is released.

Re: My mates African Twin [message #302552 is a reply to message #302551] Thu, 23 July 2020 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
Top reply as usual mate, I’ll pass it on πŸ‘
Thanks for taking the time mate 😎🀘
Re: My mates African Twin [message #302558 is a reply to message #302547] Fri, 24 July 2020 10:25 Go to previous message
(18) Geoff Duke
Another thing: OE membrane kits are bloody expensive because they also come with the piston. If the piston is still sound (they usually last about 60,000 miles) one can buy aftermarket membranes only and save a lot of money.
How to tell if the piston is sound? Simple: it's coated in a black lubricating material. If that black coating is heavily scratched, patchy or even missing, the piston is a goner.
Previous Topic: Honda XL125s. Need help about hub type.
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Tue Dec 01 11:35:45 GMT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.09909 seconds