Honda-Forums.com
Home » Bike Specific Discussion and Help » Sports Tourers / Tourers » NOT another "what bike should I buy" question (sorta) (NC750X vs. VFR800X (vs. CB650R))
icon6.gif  NOT another "what bike should I buy" question (sorta) [message #302592] Mon, 03 August 2020 11:02 Go to next message
neonsurge is currently offline  neonsurge   United Kingdom
(1) Club Racer
Hope it's OK to post this question and that it's in the right place.

I've reached that mythical time in life where the kids have gone, the mortgage is paid off and I have the means to buy a new bike. I've been riding since the age of 8, almost exclusively off-road starting off in trials then later enduro and in the past few years, a bit of both. I have owned road bikes in the past but they've all been dual-sport types to some extent - the closest I've had to a "real" road bike was a KTM Duke 2 (essentially their old 650 trail bike with 17" wheels and road tyres). I live in the arse end of nowhere and the I have Honda and KTM dealers within a 90 min drive. I like and trust the Honda dealer and want some assurance of local-ish dealer support.

My criteria: No sports bikes or anything with a "sports" riding position (all the years of enduro have knackered by back). Something with a bit of poke would be nice and while I really want something daft like a Ducati Hypermotard or big Adventure-type thing, I can't justify that kind of money for something that'll only be ridden occasionally and if I want to go off-road, I'll dig out the trials bike. So, I'm trying hard to focus on the sensible options. Based on my criteria and research, that leaves 2, possibly 3 bikes: NC750X, VFR800X Crossrunner or the left-field option, a CB650R. While recommendations on which to go for would be nice, I'm really looking for some specific information from folk much cleverer than me:

1. There seems to be a lot of functional crossover between the NC and VFR and it's unclear (to me) how Honda intend them to be differentiated in the product range. I get that the NC is the "softer" option with less power and DCT etc. but the VFR still looks like the same bike with a V4 engine. Is that it?
2. I don't know anyone with a CB650R. Is the riding position reasonably upright (when compared to something like a CBR)? While relatively close, the dealer is currently slightly inaccessible due to Covid so I can't easily pop in and have a sit.

Sorry for the rambling. All thoughts greatly appreciated.
Re: NOT another "what bike should I buy" question (sorta) [message #302593 is a reply to message #302592] Mon, 03 August 2020 12:44 Go to previous message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
I'll be the one to spoil the party.

If you want any horsepower the NC750 is out right away. While not as bad as the early NC700 these bikes are really down on performances and pretty heavy for what they are. Yamaha 700 twins are a much much better deal for the money.
I had the VTEC VFR800. It's one of those bikes I really regret buying and not even remotely close to the old VFR's in any departments but fuel consumption. Laugh
"Expensive to live with", "overengineered" and "not terribly reliable" are some of the terms I'd use to define it and I find incredible Honda is still peddling that engine after the market threw it back at them when the novelty wore out.

To be honest I have seen a grand total of one (1) CB650 on the road since it was introduced. While I personally think it's the best of the lot by far you may want to consider there must be a reason why Honda is selling so few of them. think

Previous Topic: VFR750 1993 tidy up
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Tue Dec 01 12:09:01 GMT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02617 seconds