Honda-Forums.com
Home » Bike Specific Discussion and Help » CB600, CB900, CB1000, CB1300 » CBF 600 N 2009. (Gear one and 2 not smooth. Feels as though the engine is running with lack of air or fuel.)
CBF 600 N 2009. [message #302796] Thu, 15 October 2020 21:11 Go to next message
Wardy is currently offline  Wardy   United Kingdom
(1) Club Racer
Need some help as I have no clue mechanically. My bike runs smooth for about 10 - 20 minutes and the in slower traffic gears 1 and 2 its a bit juddering and lumpy! Almost as if its not getting enough fuel or air. Any ideas what this might be?
Re: CBF 600 N 2009. [message #302797 is a reply to message #302796] Fri, 16 October 2020 10:28 Go to previous message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
Hi. Have you tried fuel from another source or resetting the PGM-FI flash memory like I wrote previously? They won't cost you a penny.

While there are a million things that could cause that issue in my experience Honda FI models from 2003 to 2010 or so are rather prone to it and after dealing with the situation more often than I'd like and seeing how Honda-recommended fixes never fixed the problem, I now strongly suspect this is a fuel pump issue.
You see, most FI Honda's from that time frame have unserviceable fuel pumps: the filter cannot be removed and it's supposed to last the life of the bike. That filter is not a particularly enlightened design: it will clog, and sometimes clog quickly. Over the years Honda has quietly (most likely to avoid legal troubles) started to supply "improved" fuel pumps as spare parts: pretty weird considering fuel pump failures are extremely rare. With the CB1300, which is one of the worst affected models, we went through three different fuel pump designs in just six model years and, guess what? The definitive fuel pump released in 2008 finally has a replaceable fuel filter and these bikes are considered free from the old and seemingly untreatable throttle jerkyness that set off after a few thousand miles. When it presents itself, just replace the fuel filter. That's as close as Honda ever went to admitting they had a problem.

I am not suggesting that you buy a brand new fuel pump which most likely costs a good fraction of the residual value of your bike, but that at first you try out the free stuff and then start progressively climbing up the money tree and that at a certain point you draw a line. think
Previous Topic: HONDA CB 600 F
Next Topic: Cb250 Charging issue. Who can solve the puzzle!?
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Tue Dec 01 11:58:04 GMT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07364 seconds