Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » Restores, Rebuilds and Tart ups. » Kerms CRF450R (supermoto)
Kerms CRF450R (supermoto) [message #185344] Wed, 18 March 2009 18:55 Go to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
es/smiley_icons/icon_lol.gif" border="0" alt="Laugh" />

When you've gone to the trouble you have on that engine, you'd be a fool not to do it now, because you will kick yourself if it fails in 6 months.Hi All,

As per previous opst, striped off output shaft gears and as suspected no identification numbers on inner side of bearing.

index.php/fa/16711/0/

Tried to knock shaft off bearing but it is FT.

Am thinking shaft should knock through short end to lond end and that area of shaft where oil seal runs is a collar. ( Is this right?)

index.php/fa/16710/0/

Anyway, shaft has now made its way into the freezer, where it can st
Re: Supermoto's [message #185348 is a reply to message #185344] Wed, 18 March 2009 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ondablade   Ireland
(15) Kenny Roberts
ay - figure if it dont come off after a day or so in the freezer, where it should have shruk - it needs presing off.

But then again, if the collar is a collar, will freezing it just shrink it tighter onto the shaft.

SPal

Quazi wrote on Sat, 04 September 2010 09:08

When you've gone to the trouble you have on that engine, you'd be a fool not to do it now, because you will kick yourself if it fails in 6 months.

I do agree, I supose I just didn't want to risk f**king the bearing totally in getting it off and then being in the position of not having any choice.

Now is deffinatly the time to do this but £220.00 (ouch) even if the bearing (if its available) is 50-60 quid it would be a result.

SPal

Ha,

Got an automated reply from NTN, but has details of UK based dealer, so will call Monday

NTN Bearings (UK) Ltd

NTN-SNR_P

Wellington Crescent
Fradley Park
Lichfield, Staffs
WS13 8RZ UK
Tel: +44 1543 445 000
Fax: +44 1543 445 035

Sounds promising. Thumbs Up hi Quazi,

Remind me in future not to be such a pussy.

Was worried about damaging end of shaft, but then remembered peice of 6mm ally plate, so lamped it with 1lb club hammer.

No going back now.

index.php/fa/16712/0/

still no numbers on shell, has TM stamped again on inner shell.

Now bearing is off can feel its almost oval, no side play but can feel high & low points as bearing rotates.

SPal. Good result.

Report message to a moderator

Re: Supermoto's [message #185351 is a reply to message #185348] Wed, 18 March 2009 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWB929 is currently offline  RWB929   United Kingdom
(13) MotoGP Champion
" border="0" alt="Thumbs Up" />

It would only have been "loctite'd" (and not pressed as such)on the shaft.

The spec of that bearing should be somewhere, a Honda workshop manual perhaps in the specifications etc?
Honda mans microfiche machine etc.as said take it to a bearing suppliers and they should be able to match it as car bike manufactures have bearings made by bearing company's as its cheaper than making there own

try someone that does gearbox repairs as there good at bearing size and spec and they will no doubt be able to supply or point you in the right direction with measurements off your bearing

Report message to a moderator

Re: Supermoto's [message #185356 is a reply to message #185344] Wed, 18 March 2009 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
s/icon_thumbsup.gif" border="0" alt="Thumbs Up" />

hi riley,

i contacted a bearing supplier local to me, he took all the details and is getting back to me on Monday.

fingers crossed eek

SPal hi All,

Bearing guy came back - Nil points,

Spoke to another company SKF, gonna take bearing up there on Wednesday to try and match as numbers on bering are no help. Thumb Down

If this blows out, have to wait till next month as budgets blown for September !

SPal Sounds like a right nightmare. I had trouble getting some simplier/smaller looking bearings matched up at my local bearing place when I did the NC30 and had to resort to reusing or buying from DS and those iirc were o
Re: Supermoto's [message #185364 is a reply to message #185356] Thu, 19 March 2009 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andy_scouser is currently offline  andy_scouser   United Kingdom
(16) Barry Sheene
nes with proper numbers on them.

Hav
Re: Supermoto's [message #185365 is a reply to message #185344] Thu, 19 March 2009 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quazi is currently offline  Quazi   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
e you tried putting the dimensions into somewhere like http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/ and seeing if anything pops up?I've got a microfiche for the 98 Blade,the drawings look the same as your pics, I th
Re: Supermoto's [message #185369 is a reply to message #185344] Thu, 19 March 2009 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
ink this might be the bearing you want

Part No 91001-MT7-003

Description BEARING (6
Re: Supermoto's [message #185371 is a reply to message #185344] Thu, 19 March 2009 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quazi is currently offline  Quazi   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
305)Hi All,

thanks for the replies.

Googled that part number but its the counter shaft bearing, that I've already replaced. (pt33) on fiche.

The one I need is not listed seperatly to the output shaft on the Honda fiche.

Thanks for the help, but I have a nasty feeling this is gonna end up with buying a new output shaft.

SPal Ah yeah, realise now.

I just remembered i have an output shaft and bearing for a fireblade.
Its in a mock up motor at the moment so i'll have to split the cases to check its condition.......but if its fine i'll do a swop with ya cos this motor wont be running again lolHi Gaz,

Nice one, thanks, will wait 2 hear from u.

SPal

No rush, cause I won't be ordering the shaft from Honda for @ least four weeks away way (cashflow, don't ya know !)
Re: Supermoto's [message #185372 is a reply to message #185371] Thu, 19 March 2009 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ondablade   Ireland
(15) Kenny Roberts
r /> SPal. Hi All,

rebuilds pretty much @ a total standstill @ present.

Havn't had time to get to last bearing supplier and until gearbox sorted nothing more can be done with engine in way of putting cases back together.

Dropped in on bike shop who are reshimming head, should be ready by weekend, but again wont be able to do anything else until cases back together.

Bought a left hand mid panel off ebay, which has yet to arrive - gonna have to start selling some of the less than perfect panels I've accumulated soon.

SPal Hi All,

Once again Gaz has come to the rescue, he has 918 output shaft which has same bearing on as my one.

Gaz obviously has better eyes than me (even with my super expensive new bins) as part number on his bearing appears to be same as mine.(or rather what I have,

I read TM- DFD6A18N what really is - TM-DF06A16N RollEyes

so, will hopefully be able to use shaft or failing that swop bearings.

Happy days, fingers x'd

SPal Nice one.

Top bloke is Gaz as you'll probably know if you ever read my nc30 rebuild where he helped me out of a good few tight spots that were beyond my ability Thumbs UpHi All,

One step fo
Re: Supermoto's [message #185374 is a reply to message #185344] Thu, 19 March 2009 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
rwards two steps back......

Had phone call from bike shop who are doing tappets, not happy that all grit medium has been removed as oil used when refitting buckets/cams etc feels "abraisive".

Went over there and to be honest I can't tell abrasive oil from non abrasive oil but take advice from guys who know what they are doing!

Phoned powder coat man, who has agreed to ultrasound head and crank cases again (at no cost), just means I've got to restrip head and crank cases and get over to him sometime next week.

Bike shop guys have also agreed to let me use their compressor once all redone to blow out all o
Re: Supermoto's [message #185376 is a reply to message #185344] Thu, 19 March 2009 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
ilways (over and over again).

SPal (grumpy of west london) that's a bugger al hope it gets sortedHi Riley,
<
Re: Supermoto's [message #185381 is a reply to message #185376] Thu, 19 March 2009 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ondablade   Ireland
(15) Kenny Roberts
br /> Yeah, sure it will be sorted though as although head was rebuilt, it wasn't run and once this shit is got out I don't see why there should be any lasting damage.

Powd
Re: Supermoto's [message #185383 is a reply to message #185381] Thu, 19 March 2009 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yorkie is currently offline  Yorkie   United Kingdom
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
er man's been very good, didn't quibble about blame etc just said he;d clean it and get the shit out. He even asked that the crankcases be returned as well to clean them just to be 100% sure.

I think its funny how we talk about customer service as often until something goes wrong you don't know if your dealing with someone who values their reputation of just wants your cash.

SPal customer servic
Re: Supermoto's [message #185386 is a reply to message #185383] Thu, 19 March 2009 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ondablade   Ireland
(15) Kenny Roberts
e im always polite and helpful with my customers its the only way Thumbs Up

once im paid they can fook offfffffffff Laugh Hazard
Re: Supermoto's [message #185495 is a reply to message #185386] Sat, 21 March 2009 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pecker is currently offline  pecker   United Kingdom
(11) MotoGP Podium Finisher
of this type of thing isn't unfortunately, customer service yes, I think I remember that. smile

Fingers crossed for ya mate. Thumbs Up At least your man doing the valve clearances was on the ball as just imagine a few months down the line what funny noises the engine might have started making or smoking if he hadn't thought to mention it Thumbs Up

Close call, a bit more expense (some new gaskets or reuse?) and work but the right decision YesHi Kerm,

Yeah, he was telling me he'd seen a bike which had been sand blasted - It self destructed after 12 miles!!!!!!

Don't think theres any expense, as never got to the point where used gaskets, will resuse valve stem oil seals (as long as they pop out ok).

Only pain is all the running around!

SPal Hi All,

Been getting a bit dispondant with this rebiuld last few days wot with gearbox bearing problem and blast crap still in engine, so havn't really done much,

Decided to start repairing (rebuilding) top fairing. As I'd already decided that original white fairing wasn't ever going to repair well enough, I started cutting the various broken p
Re: Supermoto's [message #185497 is a reply to message #185344] Sat, 21 March 2009 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
ieces off the red fairing prior to "cut n shut".

Removed sections of both mirror mounts and corner of left hand section.

Offered these bits up to white fairing to line up perfectly., marked and cut bits off white fairing.

Pics below show replacement sections in place. (only taped up for now to check alignment) will be bonding together over next couple of days using plastex. This will be a good test as fairing has to bend quite a bit to fit screen and mirror mounting points.

index.php/fa/16765/0/

Right Hand Mirror mount

index.php/fa/16766/0/

Left Hand mirror mount and corner section.

SPal hi All,
Re: Supermoto's [message #185573 is a reply to message #185497] Sun, 22 March 2009 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Cause I'm
Re: Supermoto's [message #185574 is a reply to message #185344] Sun, 22 March 2009 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
impatent, had to carry on with fairing repair.

Pic of left hand mirror arm

index.php/fa/16767/0/

Screen only just lines up (hence socket) but I think thats more down to the quality or lack of it than the repair as if fitted poorly when fitted to the white fairing.

Pic of right hand mirror arm.

index.php/fa/16768/0/

Was more worried about this side as having screen mounting hole its under more force, but repair held fine

Con't Con't

Pic of fairing from front:

index.php/fa/16769/0/

Can see from this view that theres a bit of blending needed on the joint on the right hand side but happy I can smooth this down and keep the right line.

Lot of work left to do, but even like this looks a lot better than when I first got it.

index.php/fa/16770/0/

Got a harris screen bracket coming from Gaz, so will wait to fit it to bike until that arrives.

SPal Wot I bought,

index.php/fa/16771/0/

I know its not the "standard" screen brace, but its shiny and I like it ! Grin

SPal and it lets you use a top mounted steering damper if you can find one lol
Re: Supermoto's [message #185583 is a reply to message #185574] Sun, 22 March 2009 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/> but very niceVery nice Thumbs Up

Anyone mounted a steering damper.. think I might need it with the 16" front.hi All,

Havn't had a great deal of time today, but carried on cleaning up top fairing.

Bits I grafted on last night are well and truly stuck.

Having difficulty seeing any damage on the plastic so thought easiest way was to blow over with primer, which shoed up all the areas that still need flattening and a bit of p38.

Fitted upto bike to check alignment as I'd not fitted this fairing top to the rest of the fairing before. Fits well so am happy to percevere.
Re: Supermoto's [message #185585 is a reply to message #185344] Sun, 22 March 2009 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Pipe is currently offline  Pipe   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini

Will get a better idea when brace arrives

index.php/fa/16772/0/

Found out that Blackberrys zoom in, but that picture quality is crap.

SPal blackberry are clever things Thumbs Up

my new htc phone does everything too smile

unfortunately there are no children in my house to show me how its done Wall

i have managed to call someone and txt so getting there Laugh Hi All,

Box arived from Gaz this morning.

Fairing Brace & output shaft.

Fitted brace to check my cut & shut on the top fairing was ok, pretty pleased cause can't be more than 0.5mm out so am happy to complete the fairing and use,

Previous Topic: Another Project
Next Topic: SP1 Rebuild, the story so far
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Thu Dec 03 16:00:57 GMT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.25300 seconds