Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » Restores, Rebuilds and Tart ups. » Kerms CBR929
Kerms CBR929 [message #160777] Tue, 26 February 2008 15:01 Go to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
More so I don't forget I'm putting my 929 Track to Legal list on the forum.

I might update it a bit as i go along but don't expect pics as it doesn't really need anything particularly interesting doing to it

1) Swap Double Banjo on Brembo master with a Pressure Swith goodridge one I just happen to already have (brake light operartion!) tuned out I own a single banjo switch...consider it sold DONE
2) Fit R-Send tail tidy (off R1), work out wires for rear light, brake switch and indys DONE
3) Order 8x6" plate from MalPlates DONE but went 7" x 5.5" which is smaller than I've gone to for a long time RollEyes DONE
4) Take wheels (with slicks) to Sirrels for tyre swap with R1's Corsa III's <-- tis shame I won't get to try out the slicks just yet but my next trackday is >1 month away and need the MOT <1 month DONE
5) Fit Mirrors, LHS switchgear & Horn....wire horn/light switch up DONE
6) Consider if I need flushmount LED indys on front or not think CONSIDERED & DONE
7) MOT & Tax it
8) Ride the bugger Wheelie

Running Total of Cost to Convert
�15 HEL Double Length Banjo Switch (will get some back by selling my single length one)
�0 R-Send Universal Tail Tody - already have one
�0 Rear Indys & Rear Light - already have them
�30 Mirrors
�25 LHS switchgear
�15-25 Predicated cost of removing the slicks (retaining them) and putting the Corsa III's from R1 on
�10.49 Number Plate (Malplates have free visor sticker supposedly worth �4.99 free with every plate atm...soz but went with FAF Racing for Kudos points with regular trackday lot)
�17 LED Flushmounts indys for front (Yellow or Amber ones)

Total ~�115-�130

^^ think that totals about right now bar the MOT �25, Tax �65 & insurance admin cost of �45...if only I had an Ohlins damper to sell to cover most of what I think is a modest total Head Bang

[Updated on: Mon, 13 July 2009 19:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: CBR929 Track to Road - To Do List [message #160783 is a reply to message #160777] Tue, 26 February 2008 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
streeky is currently offline  streeky   France
(21) Valentino Rossi
OH lets see some pics then...
and dont forget to clean the gravel bits out of the belly pan Wink
Re: CBR929 Track to Road - To Do List [message #160843 is a reply to message #160777] Tue, 26 February 2008 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Due to popular demand RollEyes here goes the usual deluge of pics

It bastard tight getting this off and I have to admit I slightly chipped the edges paintwork...no one will notice as its not in pic
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kernaldb/CBR929/CBR929_1.jpg

My Present wiring for R-Send looks ok enough
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kernaldb/CBR929/CBR929_2.jpg

Bolted on with big washers and nylocs on inner side
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kernaldb/CBR929/CBR929_3.jpg

Might be able slide the 3 spades for the tail/brake light into the white connector but the oem indicator connectors use very small spades so might have to cut them off Confused
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kernaldb/CBR929/CBR929_4.jpg

Where Im upto at close of play tonight. There's a LED flasher on the end of the indy wires but my head hurts thinking about wiring methods so I'm back on the pc for alternative entertainment
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kernaldb/CBR929/CBR929_5.jpg

Look out tomorrow for the next exciting instalment of Kermit's Track to Road project

Fingers crossed I don't ruin a beautifully turned out trackbike - thanks again Grav, I love it & love having a Blade once again

[Updated on: Fri, 03 February 2012 15:55]

Re: CBR929 Track to Road - To Do List [message #160860 is a reply to message #160777] Wed, 27 February 2008 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gravel is currently offline  gravel   United Kingdom
(13) MotoGP Champion
Sad Sad Sad
Re: CBR929 Track to Road - To Do List [message #160862 is a reply to message #160777] Wed, 27 February 2008 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
cheer up mate, you've a great looking Gixxer thou now which I'm sure once the weather picks up you'll learn how to ride it [fast] just as well as I'm sure you must have become accustomed to the 929.

+ there's always your 'wet' bike if you need a bit of a Honda fix Naughty

[Updated on: Wed, 27 February 2008 09:07]

Re: CBR929 Track to Road - To Do List [message #160884 is a reply to message #160777] Wed, 27 February 2008 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Bugger Head Bang

Bought 3 compression washers today in order to fit the pressure switch to the front master cylinder...got as far as taking the old one off (with the resulting mess) when I realised the banjo switch I have is single length and not double as required by 2 lines from the master Head Bang

Have checked Goodridge, HEL & Earls site and none of them seem to do a double banjo pressure switch so I'm left with 3 options

1) Just bung it on the rear master cylinder <-- might not pass MOT and probably won't light up much on the road so pointless??

2) Run a single line from the f.Brembo master (with the pressure switch installed) down to one caliper, then using the freed up normal double banjo run the other line over the mudguard to the other caliper. I've seen this done before but not sure if it compromises braking and there's a chance I'd have to have one of the lines shortened

3) Use the pressure switch on the front right caliper and run some 2 core wire up the fork leg (as hidden as possible) to the front brake switch terminals on the loom

I'm favouring option #3 atm as #2 I'm unsure off and not sure if its easy to get a line shortened (prob easier to buy a single shorter new line)

Meanwhile, rear light and connections almost sorted but unable to test until my LHS switchgear arrives.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 February 2008 19:04]

Re: CBR929 Track to Road - To Do List [message #160886 is a reply to message #160884] Wed, 27 February 2008 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gravel is currently offline  gravel   United Kingdom
(13) MotoGP Champion
Kermit wrote on Wed, 27 February 2008 19:03

Bugger Head Bang

Bought 3 compression washers today in order to fit the pressure switch to the front master cylinder...got as far as taking the old one off (with the resulting mess) when I realised the banjo switch I have is single length and not double as required by 2 lines from the master Head Bang

Have checked Goodridge, HEL & Earls site and none of them seem to do a double banjo pressure switch so I'm left with 3 options

1) Just bung it on the rear master cylinder <-- might not pass MOT and probably won't light up much on the road so pointless??

2) Run a single line from the f.Brembo master (with the pressure switch installed) down to one caliper, then using the freed up normal double banjo run the other line over the mudguard to the other caliper. I've seen this done before but not sure if it compromises braking and there's a chance I'd have to have one of the lines shortened

3) Use the pressure switch on the front right caliper and run some 2 core wire up the fork leg (as hidden as possible) to the front brake switch terminals on the loom

I'm favouring option #3 atm as #2 I'm unsure off and not sure if its easy to get a line shortened (prob easier to buy a single shorter new line)

Meanwhile, rear light and connections almost sorted but unable to test until my LHS switchgear arrives.

Calm down.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEL-Performance-double-length-banjo-br ake-light-switch_W0QQitemZ300200429637QQihZ020QQcategoryZ994 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Re: CBR929 Track to Road - To Do List [message #160887 is a reply to message #160777] Wed, 27 February 2008 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Just came back to here after a quick check on ebay to say panic over I'd found one but beaten to it Laugh Thumbs Up

Bit odd though that I can't find the same thing on HEL's own site think

Paypal minus 15 Sad

[Updated on: Wed, 27 February 2008 19:11]

Re: CBR929 Track to Road - To Do List [message #160955 is a reply to message #160777] Thu, 28 February 2008 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Decided to go for LED flushmount front indicators just like I've used on the last 3 Honda's I've owned as not sure of the MOT legalities of having indys at rear but none up front....might be ALL or NONE for a PASS + I'll feel safer.

I went for the Yellow ones Wink

http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/69/69403/led_all_colours.jpg

must try resist wondering how much I could get a real proper endurance style projector headlight for RollEyes

btw any doubts and thoughts I expressed to Grav about maybe getting my mate Craig to spray the bike up in offical FAF racing Black/White scheme have gone out the window............FAAAAASSSSSTTTTTT YELLOW has grown on me Grin

[Updated on: Thu, 28 February 2008 00:15]

Re: CBR929 Track to Road - To Do List [message #160969 is a reply to message #160955] Thu, 28 February 2008 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
Kermit wrote on Thu, 28 February 2008 00:10

Decided to go for LED flushmount front indicators just like I've used on the last 3 Honda's I've owned as not sure of the MOT legalities of having indys at rear but none up front....might be ALL or NONE for a PASS + I'll feel safer.

I went for the Yellow ones Wink

http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/69/69403/led_all_colours.jpg

must try resist wondering how much I could get a real proper endurance style projector headlight for RollEyes

btw any doubts and thoughts I expressed to Grav about maybe getting my mate Craig to spray the bike up in offical FAF racing Black/White scheme have gone out the window............FAAAAASSSSSTTTTTT YELLOW has grown on me Grin

youre joking, Right Laugh

[Updated on: Thu, 28 February 2008 12:40]

Re: CBR929 Track to Road - To Do List [message #160972 is a reply to message #160969] Thu, 28 February 2008 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hondavee4 is currently offline  hondavee4   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Thumbs Up best colour mate Thumbs Up

ignore streeky, his eyesight failed many decades ago Laugh
Re: CBR929 Track to Road - To Do List [message #160987 is a reply to message #160777] Thu, 28 February 2008 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quazi is currently offline  Quazi   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Kermit, you worry too much, you ask yourself too many questions, and you care too much what we all think about it. Laugh

Just do it fella. Wink Thumbs Up
Re: CBR929 Track to Road - To Do List [message #160991 is a reply to message #160777] Thu, 28 February 2008 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
I'm not so much asking questions as putting the feelers out for opinions as I'm sure you know I'll end up doing something if I really get the urge (& my wallet can take it) Laugh

Order my mirrors & switchgear on Tues morning....now Thursday and pissed off its not arrived as while I know its only 2 full day, I did expect any have decent & busy seller on ebay to have them boxed up and out the door by tues afternoon and even royal mail 2nd class seems to reach me sometimes within the day and 2 days at most.....guess I'll have to wait till friday to finish the electrics.

I reckon I'll have time for another crack at getting the disc bolts off the R1 wheels but its not looking good as heat, 3+ soakings with wd40 (+ more heat) and the allen heads now getting very round and mangled is starting to do my head in....the guy that fitted them must have used red locatite Head Bang

could be headed for the drill them out using larger and larger bits upto close to 6mm (maybe 5mm or 5.5mm) then trying to pull away hopefully a loose shell. Unless anyone else has any ideas for stubburn disc carrier bolts? (btw out of 6 on each side, only 1 on each side has moved and that was using a reliable 6mm snapon socket type allen key Head Bang )
Re: CBR929 Track to Road - To Do List [message #161002 is a reply to message #160972] Thu, 28 February 2008 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
hondavee4 wrote on Thu, 28 February 2008 12:58

Thumbs Up best colour mate Thumbs Up

ignore streeky, his eyesight failed many decades ago Laugh

what you talking about Lee, yours aint yellow?..
OH, you got them panels aint ya.. think
Good job scouser aint about, he would tell you about
that colour.. Laugh
Re: CBR929 Track to Road - To Do List [message #161004 is a reply to message #160777] Thu, 28 February 2008 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Triple-Bee   United Kingdom
(14) Eddie Lawson
Why is u putting it on the road, it,s a good track bike ?????

Re: CBR929 Track to Road - To Do List [message #161007 is a reply to message #160777] Thu, 28 February 2008 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
It'll still be a good track bike but it'll be a f***in great road bike with that suspension Wink

+ its a shame to only get to ride ANY bike 6 or 7 times a year Sad
Re: CBR929 Track to Road - To Do List [message #161162 is a reply to message #161007] Fri, 29 February 2008 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pipe is currently offline  Pipe   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Kermit wrote on Thu, 28 February 2008 19:51

It'll still be a good track bike but it'll be a f***in great road bike with that suspension Wink

+ its a shame to only get to ride ANY bike 6 or 7 times a year Sad

Indeed Yes

Thats why i always ride a road bike on the track... come the day you want a razz.... you got it Thumbs Up
Re: CBR929 Track to Road - To Do List [message #161275 is a reply to message #160777] Sat, 01 March 2008 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Got the Corsa III's swapped over from the R1 wheels to the bike today. I can't do much more now as the plate still hasn't arrived (bit slow for Malplates tbh..theyre usually next day) & neither have the mirrors or switchgear from the slow as f*** to Blacks Breakers <-- remember that name if you want something in a hurry Wink

I also managed to fit the horn from the R1 as just the bracket mount hole needed taking out from 6mm to 7mm.

Finally just 1/2hr ago, I decided to download a fresh copy of the Power Commander software and take the laptop to the garage to see how its setup.....turns out the map loaded is for a full power eurpean 929 with Micron Slipon (with or without K&N) which is good enough for me but it did mean I've now also downloaded several other similar [can only] maps from PC's site in prep for back to back testing at some point Fluffle

I'd estimate the R1 is now >50% gone to new homeS Grin

[Updated on: Sat, 01 March 2008 23:54]

Re: CBR929 Track to Road - To Do List [message #161404 is a reply to message #160777] Mon, 03 March 2008 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Still no fecking mirrors or switchgear from Blacks Breaker...f******g slackers. Plus when I asked them questions prior to purchase they'd reply within ~15mins, so I asked where my bits where about lunchtime today and 4+ hours later still no reply. I guess that says it all about their attitude Thumb Down

On the brighter side, at least me HEL double banjo switch turned up today so I can get on with fitting that tonight and re-bleeding the brakes Fluffle

/moves one step closer to booking an MOT & getting my first ride on a 929 in about 4 years

[Updated on: Mon, 03 March 2008 17:09]

Re: CBR929 Track to Road - To Do List [message #161406 is a reply to message #160777] Mon, 03 March 2008 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Quazi is currently offline  Quazi   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Only one way to deal with Breakers, you have to be there and hold the bit in your hand, otherwise NEVER deal with them.

They are all spanner monkeys after your money with f'kall knowledge about the bikes they are selling bits from. Thumb Down
Previous Topic: Kerms XR250R Project
Next Topic: Last room!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Nov 13 01:10:28 GMT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01871 seconds