Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » Restores, Rebuilds and Tart ups. » SPAL's 1993 Fireblade cleanup ((last for a while, me thinks) )  () 1 Vote
SPAL's 1993 Fireblade cleanup [message #215015] Sun, 13 June 2010 17:08 Go to next message
SPAL is currently offline  SPAL   United Kingdom
(13) MotoGP Champion
Picked up latest bike this afternoon.

1993 blade. Bike is pretty much "standard" with only mods appearing to be

(mechanically) - Braided hoses and full stainless exhaust system (unsure which make, but looks ok and makes nice deep noise, no where near noisey as race systems i've had in past, which is good)

(costmetically) - if thats a real word: Carbon screen???? (whats next, carbon visors) Carbon frame protectors and carbon tank protector (again a stupid idea cause i thought the idea of a tank pad was to protect whats important to me, not the tank.

Will probably dispense with all of these at some point in future.

"Damage" appears to be confined to front upper fairing, which has been partially repaired (yuk) and generator cover (as normal).

Bike rides nice, no aparant flat spots, clutch does feel heavy (can't remember what other ones were like and I know these do suffer from basket failure so will get this checked out).
Gearbox is fine, need to be quite obvious with changes.

Lucky to have a good mechanic who i use to get things checked over, he knows he very rarely gets to actually change anything as lets face it most jobs on bikes are pretty straightforward but its nice to have someone to check things over and give the heads up on what otherwise may be a suprise.

Just realised that maybe ive put this post in wrong section (rebuilds etc) but i'm sure kermett (have i spelt it right this time?) can relocate if thread becomes interesting enough.

pic to start.

index.php?t=getfile&id=16102&private=0

SPal
Re: Another new edition [message #215025 is a reply to message #215015] Sun, 13 June 2010 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SP2 Riley is currently offline  SP2 Riley   United Kingdom
(19) John Surtees
you got the picky thing sorted al nice one Thumbs Up

as said id keep that classic colour and make it mint Thumbs Up
Re: Another new edition [message #215038 is a reply to message #215025] Sun, 13 June 2010 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Looks like a nice example only needing the basic tidying up and fixing the front. Look forward to progress pics.

Want me to move it now or when the restoration (with pics) starts to happen?
Re: Another new edition [message #215040 is a reply to message #215038] Sun, 13 June 2010 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
Hi Kermit ( spelt right for a change)

Probably best to wait as I feel the need to ride it for a while before pulling apart.

Started pulling apart within half hour of geting home:

Carbon tank protector is gone, wish whoever "fitted it" had taken time to put adhesive pads around edge as vibration has marked the tank and T cut hasn't sorted.

Also never saw the fixings on the rear fairing had been modified / butchered. Drilled out to make a "washer" and a horrible bsp looking screw used - will check out more but may require hole in frame welded over and re drilled & tapped M6, what goes hrough "peoples" minds ( if they in fact have them )when doing things like this.

SPal Confused
Re: Another new edition [message #215196 is a reply to message #215040] Tue, 15 June 2010 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
Hi All,

Took blade out this morning felt suspension on front needed adsjustment as previous owner has far bigger than me, so took home and found fork seal blown out, oil everywhere, so....

Restorations began early, as forks have to come out I took opportunity to strip off front fairing for examination.

Result

Front Upper ( shagged) but i thought that anyway (headlight mounting bosses came out when took screws out)
Mid Right ( needs repair)
Mid Left ( fine)
Lower Left ( Has bracket that appears to have been part of sump snapped off and siezed in place) left to soak in wd before attempting to get off. ( dont know much about welding ally, could this be repairable)
Lower Right (fine)
V piece ( lower fixing siezed - arn't they always. again left to soak.
Both Indicator Panels (fine)

Looks like its had a smack from the left hand side as the damage is all on that side as well as mid section mounting bracket, which is missing.

Also, wires to ignition nswitch have been cut and terminal blocks used to join (butcher).

Plan to get to stage where forks can be dropped out hopefully tommorrow, never done fork seals before so think will invest in manual.

Whats the general opinion, should I consider changing springs for progressive type now.

Pics to follow.

Kermit, this would probably be the time to move this post into rebuild section.

SPal
Re: Another new edition [message #215199 is a reply to message #215196] Tue, 15 June 2010 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Shame it has to have a bit of extra work done than you'd bargained for, but on the plus side, there's more to post and read about as a result Grin

/moved and renamed
Re: Another new edition [message #215217 is a reply to message #215199] Tue, 15 June 2010 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
Hi All,

Yeah, in a way, but as the idea of getting this bike was to restore, keep and ride, its not the end of the world.

index.php?t=getfile&id=16114&private=0

As I've striped the front end off, I've now got everything except the forks and front wheel off, was lucky that guy who sold it to me had an abba style stand which i will be using.

Plan to pull frorks out tommorrow hopefully, never done seals before but I remember reading posts on it so will have to check up.

Be interested what all your thoughts are on changing springs, I've never had a bike with anything but OEM set up so would value feedback.

Is there anything wrong with standard springs?

SPal

Re: SPAL's 1993 Fireblade cleanup [message #215218 is a reply to message #215015] Tue, 15 June 2010 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quazi is currently offline  Quazi   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Is this the Fireblade restoration society? Laugh

Keep up the good work there bud, don't forget there's a wealth of knowledge on here, some of it right. Thumbs Up Wink
Re: SPAL's 1993 Fireblade cleanup [message #215234 is a reply to message #215218] Wed, 16 June 2010 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SP2 Riley is currently offline  SP2 Riley   United Kingdom
(19) John Surtees
well id steer clear of progressive springs as you will get a far better set up with linear springs.

that said if you like a soft road feel then a pair of hagon prog springs will do nicely Thumbs Up

i changed the rear shock on my tiger blade for a hagon as the oe was done smile

the forks on these blades are fantastic to work on as no special tools needed and simple to dismantle lovely Grin
Re: SPAL's 1993 Fireblade cleanup [message #215235 is a reply to message #215015] Wed, 16 June 2010 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Swiss T   United Kingdom
(16) Barry Sheene
Show pics of the fork stripdown Spal; I need to change the dust seals & oil on mine.

I have a set of forks from a 93 model if you need any parts.

Thumbs Up
Re: SPAL's 1993 Fireblade cleanup [message #215265 is a reply to message #215235] Wed, 16 June 2010 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
Will do.

Kermit, is it possible to add more than 1 picture per post as when showing a sequence it will take a lot of seperate messages.

Will be ordering seals & dustseals tommorrow, does anyone have info on how much oil should be in each leg?

SPal
Re: SPAL's 1993 Fireblade cleanup [message #215276 is a reply to message #215015] Wed, 16 June 2010 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
You can have upto 10 images per post if you use something like Photobucket or Flickr to host your images and just paste the handy [IMG] links they provide next to each of your uploaded pics straight into the post. I've now increased the limit on forum uploaded pics to 2 but the 256KB total message size remains the same so you'll need to make sure both pics together are under this limit.

But as mentioned, Photobucket is great once you create an account and get used to it Thumbs Up
Re: SPAL's 1993 Fireblade cleanup [message #215291 is a reply to message #215276] Wed, 16 June 2010 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
Hi,

Thanks will look into it

As pressing is problem getting front forks out.
Used Abba stand for first time tonight, works really well, so stable.
As weight front to rear is front biased, when abba is on, front wheel stays on ground.
Can lift wheel easily and plan was to put block under sump to keep wheel off ground and allow forks to drop out.

But cant find anywhere to block, didnt want to put anything under pipes and when i block under front engine mounts as soon as i no longer lift wheel, whole bike moves forward and front wheel is on ground again.

Am I missing something?

Didn't want to support from above (onto bars etc) as I want to remove complete headstock.

Any ideas.

SPal eek
Re: SPAL's 1993 Fireblade cleanup [message #215350 is a reply to message #215291] Thu, 17 June 2010 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
Hi,

In a moment of brilliance (madness) I came up with a cunning plan. Note: Those of yu with a weak stomach may wish to look away .

index.php?t=getfile&id=16126&private=0

Yes, you can believe your eyes (what a C**K).

Anyway, it hasn't fallen over yet so pulled out fork, havn't got strap wrench so used bottom yoke to hold top adjuster while undid, and clamped fork leg to bench to get bottom bolt out.

Stripped fork below:

index.php?t=getfile&id=16127&private=0

Only job having difficulty with is getting old seal out, thought id wiat for new seals to arrive on Saturday to see if they ae threaded or just interference fit.

Me thinks that even without seal going, these wre badly in need of overhaul, oil that came out was like threacle and don't know if you can see in pic but loads of shit around bottom of cartridge.

Anyway, got to go to work now so will continue cleaning tommorrow.

SPal
Re: SPAL's 1993 Fireblade cleanup [message #215378 is a reply to message #215350] Thu, 17 June 2010 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Didn't want to comment on last nights abba stand troubles last night cos I couldn't work out what you meant Beet #1 Wink but in the clear light of day I sort of understand the problem you had.

I found putting the trolley jack (& wood to spread the load) under the 4 downpipes worked fine to get the front off the ground. When your bike was up on the abba, how much effort did it require on the rear end to lift the front wheel up? On mine as the weight feels like close to 52/48 front bias, I could get the front wheel off the ground by pressing on the pillion seat with just one finger so the trolley jack under the downpipes didn't have much weight to lift + on mine all 4 downpipes are level at that point so the load is spread over all four pipes. Maybe your blade is a bit heavier at the front end than mine and the pipes don't look all level under the sump but looks like you found a solution so all is good [so long as there's no chance of a dog or child bumping into the bike Laugh ]

If your current oil was as bad as it sounds, then I think your in for decent transformation on the front ends handling Thumbs Up
Re: SPAL's 1993 Fireblade cleanup [message #215379 is a reply to message #215015] Thu, 17 June 2010 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DrMartin is currently offline  DrMartin   United Kingdom
(18) Geoff Duke
I put Ohlins springs in the front of my '98 blade when I started doing track days. The reason was to try to stop the forks bottoming out at the bottom of Paddock Hill at Brands. It worked. They are supposed to be 10% stiffer. I've not ridden it on the road with them though so can't really comment on that side of things.

PS. trolly jack and big slab of timber to spread the load under the down pipes was the way I used to get the front out when the pipes were in place. Worked fine Thumbs Up
Re: SPAL's 1993 Fireblade cleanup [message #215404 is a reply to message #215379] Thu, 17 June 2010 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
Hi All,

It didn't need much pressure to lift, maybe bit more than yours, but having never needed to support on pipes I didn't want to take what i percieved as a risk crushing the pipes.

As i'm stripping this bike I can see the shopping list growing and didn't want to add a set of stainless headers to it.

Nah, no risk of anything knocking into bike (famous last words)

I did look @ the Ohlins springs, dont seam too bad @ £100:00, Has anyone ever experimented with using heavier fork oil as I believe standard oil is 10w, but they list a 15 & 20, would a thicker oil stiffen up the fork or are there other downsides to doing this?

DrMartin,

Did you change your seals? Do they just pull out with the upper tube or do you have to do anything else to get them out.

Had a PM chat with SWISS T earlier and he suggested that tube should just pull out, bringing seal with it.

Be a bit late to try this tonight but will continue tommorrow.

SPal
Re: SPAL's 1993 Fireblade cleanup [message #215408 is a reply to message #215404] Fri, 18 June 2010 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
Hi All,

Decided that 01:00 is a perfectly good time to be working on bikes so gave the fork tube a couple of really hard yanks and hey presto out came seal. SUCCESS Grin

Cleaned up all internal items and reassembled ready for new seal and dust cap.

Now happy, I removed second fork to partially strip and let drain overnight (wots left of it).

Oh dear.................................

index.php?t=getfile&id=16132&private=0

Now even I know this don't look good Thumb Down

Time for bed Sad

SPal
Re: SPAL's 1993 Fireblade cleanup [message #215416 is a reply to message #215404] Fri, 18 June 2010 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DrMartin is currently offline  DrMartin   United Kingdom
(18) Geoff Duke
SPAL wrote on Thu, 17 June 2010 22:56

DrMartin,

Did you change your seals? Do they just pull out with the upper tube or do you have to do anything else to get them out.

SPal

No. I didn't strip the forks to change the springs. Just pulled the old ones out and popped the new ones in. I didn't change any seals either because they were all fine. Thumbs Up
Re: SPAL's 1993 Fireblade cleanup [message #215424 is a reply to message #215416] Fri, 18 June 2010 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
(13) MotoGP Champion
Hi All,

Had a few hours this morning before taking the SP1 for MOT so decided that as I'd had this much trouble up to now the sensible thing would be to strip back end and see what other "pleasures" lay in store.

REasonably good news in so much as only repairs appear to be where previous owners have used wrong fittings etc, but seat plastic again shows signs of previous repair.

Started to pull radiator out without too much trouble, hoses all look good although (to be expected) clips are pretty rusty.

Tip... (which I remembered from over 15 years ago) ( how can i remember what I did 15 years ago but not 15 minutes ago) Confused

When changing plugs its a lot easier (especially if have big hands) to slacken bottom radiator mount and pull rad forward (about 1-2 inches) makes all the difference.

BUT...

Don't undo the bolt which fixes to the bottom of the rad, its always siezed, undo the bolt on the other end of the bracket, which is where it goes into the block.

Drenched in WD40 this is where i've stopped for the time being

index.php?t=getfile&id=16133&private=0

Oh yeah. Also took off nasty carbon frame protectors, was dreading what was underneath, but only "damage" appears to be were whoever fitted them didn't use self adhesive pads and theyve vibrated against the frame... Phew, I was expecting huge dents. Grin

Job for later is to repair loom, where previous owner, who obviously couldn't route cabling correctly decided to cut and shut ignition wiring. hmmmmmm.

index.php?t=getfile&id=16134&private=0

SPal
Previous Topic: Kawasaki gpz600r rebuild project
Next Topic: cbr900 fighter
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Thu Dec 03 16:17:05 GMT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.32832 seconds