Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » Restores, Rebuilds and Tart ups. » Finally something for me!  () 3 Votes
Finally something for me! [message #220973] Sun, 22 August 2010 10:42 Go to next message
cbrgaz is currently offline  cbrgaz   United Kingdom
(6) Moto1 GP Racer
Well many moons ago i started a project similar to this one but ended up selling everything in order to help fund the business.
Well i'm finally in the position to start again.
The aim of the bik is to make something cheap and cheerful for blasting round the lake district roads.
I started of with a VFR750FR frame and added a fireblade swinging arm and fireblade forks and yokes.
The wheel are from a firestorm.
Still a hell of alot of things to finish off, make and modify......but i think it'll turn out nice.
No fairing to go on this one and i'm trying to keep weight to a minimum as VFR750's are heavy beasts but have fantastic engines......so it'll definately be a less is more bike.
index.php?t=getfile&id=16635&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=16636&private=0
Re: Finally something for me! [message #220974 is a reply to message #220973] Sun, 22 August 2010 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(6) Moto1 GP Racer
index.php?t=getfile&id=16637&private=0
Re: Finally something for me! [message #220976 is a reply to message #220974] Sun, 22 August 2010 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the beer hunter is currently offline  the beer hunter   United Kingdom
(17) Kevin Schwantz
Looking good...

& another plug for the superb Abba Stand too! Cool
Re: Finally something for me! [message #220979 is a reply to message #220973] Sun, 22 August 2010 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VTRsp2 is currently offline  VTRsp2   United Kingdom
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
Looking good Cool But I'd have left the single sided swinger on, looks muuuucccchhhhhh better........... IMO Wink
Is there much of a weight differnce between the single & conventional?
Re: Finally something for me! [message #220983 is a reply to message #220979] Sun, 22 August 2010 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   Spain
(22) Giacomo Agostini
That would surely b too easy for Gaz Tongue

Looks good will wait for tyres to be fitted as its tricky to work out the proportions but im sure that side of things will be right smile
Re: Finally something for me! [message #220984 is a reply to message #220983] Sun, 22 August 2010 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(6) Moto1 GP Racer
In all honesty Simon i dont understand why people use the VFR swinging arm in fireblades........apart from looks.
The VFR swinging arm is at least 6-7kg heavier than a fireblade swinging arm and the wheels are alot heavier too.
I'm a fan of the VFR swinging arm but this project is all about reducing the weight of the bike to make it more chackable and to increase acceleration.....lol
On the subject of chackability.......it'll be a bit flighty lol.
The wheelbase is reduced by 65mm and the fork offset by 8mm.
I have also jacked up the rear to steepen the head angle from 36 degrees to 33.5 so it should turn in good lol.
I aint bothered about the wheelbase reduction cos they are very very long and stable as standard.
I cant wait to get the finished bike weighed to see how much it weighs compared to standard....but i'm hoping for a loss of at least 40 KG but only time will tell.
The bikes only getting dry built before i strip it down to get all the bits painted or powdered coated, as you will guess theres alot of faffing about to be done because it such a mix of parts.....lol
Re: Finally something for me! [message #220985 is a reply to message #220973] Sun, 22 August 2010 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VTRsp2 is currently offline  VTRsp2   United Kingdom
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
Didn't realise there was that much difference in weight, but if it's to be used for 'fun' then I can understand your thinking, ie reducing weight.
Look forward to the developing pics smile
Re: Finally something for me! [message #220988 is a reply to message #220985] Sun, 22 August 2010 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
streeky is currently offline  streeky   France
(21) Valentino Rossi
cool i like that.. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Re: Finally something for me! [message #220997 is a reply to message #220988] Sun, 22 August 2010 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SPAL is currently offline  SPAL   United Kingdom
(13) MotoGP Champion
hi Gaz,

What had u planned on doing bout lights if its unfaired?

Was thinking it might look good with bikini.

Did u have to machine new spacers for rear wheel alignment or does it just drop in straight?

SPal
Re: Finally something for me! [message #221007 is a reply to message #220997] Sun, 22 August 2010 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(6) Moto1 GP Racer
Spal,
The front end will have old school streetfighter style spot lights and under mounted oil cooler.....i used to love the look of these in the 90's! lol
The front end bolted straight in with no mods, although as i'm using rrx yokes the fork centres are 10mm wider than all previous models so i'll have to machine up some spacers for the calipers and also for mounting the front mudguard.
The swinging arm meant i had to remove 8mm from the inside face of the frame in order to get it to fit, but other than that in dropped straight in and even the linkages etc bolted up without any problems.
I'm using the rear shocker from a CBR929RR so i had to alter the top mount on the frame to allow for the shorter shocker....but it was no biggy.
Got twin carbon fibre race silencers coming which were meant for a triumph 1050 but have the correct bore for my link pipes when i get around to making them.
Although it looks nearly finished the snagging list in 2 A4 pages long! lol
Re: Finally something for me! [message #221010 is a reply to message #220973] Sun, 22 August 2010 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quazi is currently offline  Quazi   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Nice one Gaz, look forward to it. Thumbs Up
Re: Finally something for me! [message #221072 is a reply to message #221010] Mon, 23 August 2010 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
Gaz,

Can't wait to see it finished, should be one hell of a bike,

What kind of power does the VFR lump put out?

Are you keeping gearing standard or going down 1 on the front?

This is a really interesting conversion as I've always loved the power delivery of the V4 lump (even in 400cc form) and I suspect (like most people) will never be able to afford an RC30.

THis puts the V4 750 lump well and truely back into the sports bike arena.

Love the syling of the rear, I know your making unfaired, but I suspect that a fully faired version, especially if more modern plastics IE cbr1000, cbr6rr etc could be made to fit would look stunning.

Watching with interest.

SPal

Re: Finally something for me! [message #221075 is a reply to message #221072] Mon, 23 August 2010 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andy_scouser is currently offline  andy_scouser   United Kingdom
(16) Barry Sheene
watching with cheque book ready smile
Re: Finally something for me! [message #221078 is a reply to message #221075] Mon, 23 August 2010 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(6) Moto1 GP Racer
Spal,
The VFR750FR motor was supposed to put out 100bhp at the crank.....so probably around 90ish at the wheel (Not awesome but they produce very tractable power).
I'm trying to avoid putting on fairings etc as this would mean changing the front end to upside down forks and radial brakes for it to look up to date....(But this is an expense i'm trying to avoid).
I need to stay focused on my original idea which cheap, good handling and different looking bike.
Perhaps in the future once its on the road i will change my mind and modify it more but who knows.
I have another project in mind that i need to keep some of the budget back for.........dont ask cos i wont say. lol
Re: Finally something for me! [message #221084 is a reply to message #221078] Mon, 23 August 2010 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
streeky is currently offline  streeky   France
(21) Valentino Rossi
cbrgaz wrote on Mon, 23 August 2010 15:07
Spal,
The VFR750FR motor was supposed to put out 100bhp at the crank.....so probably around 90ish at the wheel (Not awesome but they produce very tractable power).
I'm trying to avoid putting on fairings etc as this would mean changing the front end to upside down forks and radial brakes for it to look up to date....(But this is an expense i'm trying to avoid).
I need to stay focused on my original idea which cheap, good handling and different looking bike.
Perhaps in the future once its on the road i will change my mind and modify it more but who knows.
I have another project in mind that i need to keep some of the budget back for.........dont ask cos i wont say. lol

So, whats that then.. Laugh
Re: Finally something for me! [message #221088 is a reply to message #221084] Mon, 23 August 2010 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
Hi Gaz,

Totaly understand, its oh soooooooooooooooooo easy for a "project" to get away from you.

I'm struggling with the whole "budget thang" as once you get involved in a build, other options become aparent,

I've never felt the desire to own a VFR, probably due to its tourer immage, but your conversion hopefully should result in a really FUN bike, cause sometimes the fact that the bikes not putting out major horsepower results in a really rideable bike.

Maybe its the VFR750 HOnda "should" have made!

Out of interest where are the pipes coming out, if its underseat your arse will roast Laugh

SPal
Re: Finally something for me! [message #221101 is a reply to message #221088] Mon, 23 August 2010 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(6) Moto1 GP Racer
Spal,
I'm gonna put one silencer on each side of the bike at highish level.
I cant put the silencers in a under the seat stylee as the gap in the swinging arm which i would have used on a conventional fireblade will be filled with the rear cylinders downpipes.
The bike will sound a tad fruity as the silencers have a 35mm inlets and tapered megaphone internals going to 50mm eek

Gaz
Re: Finally something for me! [message #221105 is a reply to message #221101] Mon, 23 August 2010 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
Hi Gaz,

Should look nice, and probably more in keeping with the age of the bike.

Talking about budgets - things were going so well and then some bloke offered pretty discs, der.........

Over budget again Laugh

SPal
Re: Finally something for me! [message #221110 is a reply to message #221105] Mon, 23 August 2010 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(6) Moto1 GP Racer
In the words of Mohammed "Fuck it"
Sometimes you know when you just have to have something.
Re: Finally something for me! [message #221111 is a reply to message #221110] Mon, 23 August 2010 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
(6) Moto1 GP Racer
I cant talk anyway.....i have been buying fancy levers, solo seat cover, digital speedo and sorting out the bits to finish of the exhaust! Who said this was a budget build? lol
Previous Topic: nc30 rebuild
Next Topic: The other bigger project
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Tue Dec 01 12:08:06 GMT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.23327 seconds