Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » Restores, Rebuilds and Tart ups. » Bored, who me?
Re: Bored, who me? [message #285095 is a reply to message #285088] Tue, 22 July 2014 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quazi is currently offline  Quazi   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Thanks Kak' the tyres performed very well considering, the rear just struggled with the torque/power sometimes it was expecting alot from it to be fair, so I had to just try and adapt to the piss poor conditions and end up where I ended up. Thumbs Up smile
Re: Bored, who me? [message #285097 is a reply to message #285095] Tue, 22 July 2014 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pecker is currently offline  pecker   United Kingdom
(11) MotoGP Podium Finisher
well done mate, good results and you made it through saturday

was good to hear about the mich pilots as i have chucked a set in the van just in case we get rain ( thought they must be better than slicks Wink )

good aerial vid Thumbs Up could even see the VW tent from up there Laugh
Re: Bored, who me? [message #285123 is a reply to message #285097] Thu, 24 July 2014 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWB929 is currently offline  RWB929   United Kingdom
(13) MotoGP Champion
Well Done, good going considering the actual amount of ride time you have had on the bike.. Thumbs Up
Re: Bored, who me? [message #285128 is a reply to message #285123] Thu, 24 July 2014 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Only just caught up on this, well done Quazi, don't envy the Saturday weather and associated shenanigans much but you struggled through, got the weather on the Sunday and and managed very respectable results in both conditions Thumbs Up

Re: Bored, who me? [message #285152 is a reply to message #285123] Fri, 25 July 2014 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
RWB929 wrote on Thu, 24 July 2014 11:41
Well Done, good going considering the actual amount of ride time you have had on the bike.. Thumbs Up

Thanks Loz, you're not wrong there mate, I would love to get some more time in the seat, there are things I need to tweak but just don't get enough time riding it. Thumbs Up

Thanks Kermit, was very happy with that considering the biblical conditions. Laugh
Re: Bored, who me? [message #285195 is a reply to message #285080] Tue, 29 July 2014 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drew70 wrote on Mon, 21 July 2014 21:15
Some pics from the weekend, Im sure Mr Quazi will be along shortly with a full race report, The boy done good Thumbs Up

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/drew70/eastfortunejuly14010-1_zps9ad14bb5.jpg

Must try harder Laugh

index.php?t=getfile&id=21304&private=0
Re: Bored, who me? [message #285215 is a reply to message #285195] Wed, 30 July 2014 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Nowt wrong with that bud, I'm not seeing the BBQ though, worrying that. Laugh Thumbs Up
Re: Bored, who me? [message #285235 is a reply to message #285215] Thu, 31 July 2014 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pipe is currently offline  Pipe   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Your out there doing something different and enjoying it ...... so very fair play to you Mike.

I remember you selling the GSXR750 that you had lavished good money upon, not long after our trip to Catalunya, i understand why, difficult days for you.

I passed my ACU Tuesday, just waiting for the licence to come through now.

Then i will be trying the same thing ...

I can't use the RS to it's full effect on any track day i have been to on it ... those bloody 4 strokes really bugger up the corners for me.

So now, it's 250GP ... ride with an all 250 grid and use it's abilities to a better level.

It's different, it's exciting.

Took the Blade to Donny so that i made the most of the time away from work. The ACU course was a few laps over the course of an hour, as you know.

Booked the rest of the day on a track day but took the Blade to save the RS on mileage, haven't really ridden it for a couple of years now.

Hated it, it's fast for sure in a straight line .. It's heavy, takes massive effort to turn, massive effort to stop, it's soft and saggy, and it doesn't corner!

There were the usual plethora of exotica ... Some lovely RSV Aprillia's ... those do actually flick my switch, they sound awesome, loads of Panigales and of course a million BMW S1000R's ... common as R1's, GSXR's and the rest of the Jap fours.

Been spoilt i guess though, nothing fires me now like the RS ... shame, always loved my blade until Tuesday.

[Updated on: Thu, 31 July 2014 21:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Bored, who me? [message #285245 is a reply to message #285235] Fri, 01 August 2014 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Thumbs Up

It's something different for sure Pipe, you'll experience some different feelings too.

It'll take a massive effort though mate so be prepared for it, time and money go up in smoke, an all consuming thing especially when doing the work yourself.

Some pit help is a god send, you just can't do everything on your own, it becomes too much and YOU WILL forget something if you try to do it all on your own, which could ultimately spell disaster.
It's not like just going to another trackday, it is very a different experience in every way, mostly enjoyable but when you are competing it changes everything.

This bike although old still eats money, not your RS level of money but enough to notice. smile
I do though get a good sense of achievement, I built this thing made many bits on it myself which I subjected you all to Laugh , so to actually getting some reasonable results on it, gives me a level of personal satisfaction over and above anything else.

The modern stuff has ended for me, as good as it all is, I just can't be arsed with it all for reasons you have just pointed out, there's millions of the things all doing the same thing.
My bike gets some attention in ways that the modern stuff never would (not that I built it for that reason) but it just shows the level of interest when something different turns up, folk appriciate it too because it is something different.
Unfortunately for me, I have an operation looming so this year may already be over for me, but shit happens don't it.

Enjoy it mate, it will though have massive highs and massive lows, that I do know now. Thumb Down Thumbs Up Grin

[Updated on: Fri, 01 August 2014 14:39]

Re: Bored, who me? [message #285251 is a reply to message #285235] Fri, 01 August 2014 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pipe wrote on Thu, 31 July 2014 21:22
Your out there doing something different and enjoying it ...... so very fair play to you Mike.

I remember you selling the GSXR750 that you had lavished good money upon, not long after our trip to Catalunya, i understand why, difficult days for you.

I passed my ACU Tuesday, just waiting for the licence to come through now.

Then i will be trying the same thing ...

I can't use the RS to it's full effect on any track day i have been to on it ... those bloody 4 strokes really bugger up the corners for me.

So now, it's 250GP ... ride with an all 250 grid and use it's abilities to a better level.

It's different, it's exciting.

Took the Blade to Donny so that i made the most of the time away from work. The ACU course was a few laps over the course of an hour, as you know.

Booked the rest of the day on a track day but took the Blade to save the RS on mileage, haven't really ridden it for a couple of years now.

Hated it, it's fast for sure in a straight line .. It's heavy, takes massive effort to turn, massive effort to stop, it's soft and saggy, and it doesn't corner!

There were the usual plethora of exotica ... Some lovely RSV Aprillia's ... those do actually flick my switch, they sound awesome, loads of Panigales and of course a million BMW S1000R's ... common as R1's, GSXR's and the rest of the Jap fours.

Been spoilt i guess though, nothing fires me now like the RS ... shame, always loved my blade until Tuesday.

Thumbs Up on the ACU Licence Pipe

so you thinking of selling the blade think

tho your not really selling it with this
- Hated it, it's fast for sure in a straight line .. It's heavy, takes massive effort to turn, massive effort to stop, it's soft and saggy, and it doesn't corner! Wink

Re: Bored, who me? [message #285305 is a reply to message #285085] Wed, 06 August 2014 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gone2 is currently offline  gone2   Netherlands
(15) Kenny Roberts
Only just read your race report Quaz. Well done mate, I'd call that a result. Obviously ground clearance was not an issue in the end.?
Re: Bored, who me? [message #285310 is a reply to message #285305] Thu, 07 August 2014 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Thanks OB.

The exhaust wasn't a problem at all this time around, so looks like it's as good as it's going to get.
It appears I did touch the lefthand engine case down again lightly, just on the upper edge where it had been cut and welded previously, but lets be honest, there's nothing more I can do with that side, I'll have to learn to hang off it a bit more and upright the bike a tad. Wink
Re: Bored, who me? [message #288659 is a reply to message #285310] Sun, 01 March 2015 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
In my search for a quieter exhaust, I had another crack at a baffle.

got hold of some 50mm perf; tube..
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Quazi_photo/20150228_102308_zpsa2volkwu.jpg

Cut a length and stit it open down its length, tapered the diameter down towards the outlet to about 30mm or less, bent the end over to bolt it, welded it all back up and added some wrap to it.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Quazi_photo/20150228_101129_zpsvg1sfwxb.jpg

Think it'll do something to quieten it down a bit.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Quazi_photo/20150228_102335_zpstzm3yvnp.jpg

smile

[Updated on: Sun, 01 March 2015 09:21]

Re: Bored, who me? [message #288919 is a reply to message #288659] Fri, 13 March 2015 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
As I'm always thinking (I know the fooking pain of it RollEyes ) I've decided to have a revamp of the wiring and the addition for the jump start battery connections.

Changing the battery was a pig to do quickly, so had a rethink on how I could improve it. I can't move the battery or increase the size of it for the time being, so I just needed a bit of jiggery pokery.

I'm going to run two batteries this year back to back, so one will always be on charge whilst the other one is in the bike, rather than charging the bike up each time, that way I will get a full charge capacity available all of the time it's in the bike. The down side of course is the changing them over at present. Not the best scenario but the only one I have until I decide where to stick a bigger battery if at all.

Pics to follow. Wink

Re: Bored, who me? [message #288941 is a reply to message #288919] Sat, 14 March 2015 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DrMartin is currently offline  DrMartin   United Kingdom
(18) Geoff Duke
Quazi wrote on Fri, 13 March 2015 19:26
jiggery pokery.

That's my favourite kind of pokery Thumbs Up

Re: Bored, who me? [message #288947 is a reply to message #288941] Sat, 14 March 2015 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
DrMartin wrote on Sat, 14 March 2015 02:20
Quazi wrote on Fri, 13 March 2015 19:26
jiggery pokery.

That's my favourite kind of pokery Thumbs Up

Oh yes. Thumbs Up Yes

They have also changed the number set up again this year, pain in the arse changing them, everytime I pull it off some of the paint comes with it.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Quazi_photo/20150314_083708_zpsojczcqsb.jpg

Now white and black, far too bright now. Cool

Right, started with taking all the battery supplies out and ahd a rethink.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Quazi_photo/20150314_083243_zps85c234kn.jpg

In case you forgot what it was like before (you all did I know) I basically had the mini bike battery wired in parallel with the jump start battery connections as I had the starter relay main connector on the bike battery hence the need for them to be in parallel.

I was never happy with this et up, because despite the jumper battery being connected when the started was pushed, I was convinced ti would still draw some juice from the bike battery which would instantly reduce the available capacity from the off.

After me rethink, It dawned on me that I didn't need to have the two linked at all, I could removed the connections from the starter relay from the bike battery, and make up a new pair that were just supplied to the main connector for the starter battery to connect to, the bike supply could then just be run from the mini battery. That way the mini battery would never be involved in the starting of the bike.

Follow me so far? Laugh

The orignal starter connection was also connected to the battery box, which was a bit out of the way, and difficult for Drew to see it and start the bike up, just not the best place for it.

So I had to come up with something a little easier and more practical, as when I go to Aragon later on in the year, I will need to be able to swap batteries over fairly easily for the timed sessions, rather than a recharge on the bike.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Quazi_photo/20150314_083826_zpsjvfeorwk.jpg
Get rid of a few bits and bobs.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Quazi_photo/20150314_083434_zpsipw2bkpw.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Quazi_photo/20150314_083453_zpsomztamlr.jpg
Got myself a couple of these main connector posts, which now hold the main earth to the engine, the main supply to the starter relay and the other pair to the starter battery connector, which will now be located behind the frame rail and easily accessed.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Quazi_photo/20150314_0838461_zpsgovcryh9.jpg
Not bolted up yet, but you get the idea. smile

I can now use some very small gauge cable to connect the mini battery to a 2-way connector, which can be unplugged from the pair coming from the bike loom.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Quazi_photo/20150314_083816_zpsskffrfkc.jpg

All I now have to do is unloop the rubber strap, unplug the 2-way connector and bob's ya uncle. 5 min job. Thumbs Up

Luvly jubbly. Wink

Re: Bored, who me? [message #289185 is a reply to message #288947] Sun, 29 March 2015 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
1st outing in 2 weeks.

The old tug is all ship shape and ready. smile

And the bike. RollEyes

[Updated on: Sun, 29 March 2015 09:18]

Re: Bored, who me? [message #289186 is a reply to message #224128] Sun, 29 March 2015 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
So, which one is the weakest link?

Have a good one!
Re: Bored, who me? [message #289188 is a reply to message #289185] Sun, 29 March 2015 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gone2 is currently offline  gone2   Netherlands
(15) Kenny Roberts
Just reading back over your starter arrangement, looks like a solid job. Thumbs Up
Good luck with the upcoming event, and remember to have fun!!
edit: you're right about the parallel connection dragging energy out of the running battery, but couldn't you do without the starter entirely? Bump start it I mean? Or is that in the rules?

[Updated on: Sun, 29 March 2015 14:00]

Re: Bored, who me? [message #289189 is a reply to message #289188] Sun, 29 March 2015 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Thanks chaps,

The weakest link has to be me Kak' it's only the noise of it that keeps me awake, and it drags me round the circuit to be honest. Laugh

OB: the rules not a problem, it's just me at the moment OB. My thinking is, if I remove the starter gear then I may as well chop the taper off the end of the crank and lose the casing altogether. There are machined cases for these engines that blank off the whole thing, but you obviously lose the end of the crank in the process, makes it kind of final don't it.

Not too much of a problem keeping the starter for the time being, I can't see myself doing this for ever, so I'd like to keep my options open to do something else with the engine in years to come maybe, who knows. Getting a replacement crank is not easy for this lump, just a rebuilding of one will cost you £500, they are the preverbial hens choppers! Wink

[Updated on: Sun, 29 March 2015 14:52]

Previous Topic: RS Winter Project
Next Topic: Do I ? or Don't I ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Nov 17 11:44:15 GMT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02340 seconds