Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » Technical Help » Teamviewer (How to use it and is it safe)
Teamviewer [message #225925] Sun, 17 October 2010 22:44 Go to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Owing to the amount of time it sometimes takes to help someone out with a IT problem on their PC with long threads (eh Slaz Wink ) and assuming the PC/Laptop has internet access I'm fairly often going to suggest using TeamViewer to allow me to connect to the PC remotely to [try] sort out any niggling problems you might have as it not only saves me time but saves your time too. I'd like to add that its not that I don't like helping out in this section (I do) but I actually prefer doing the fixes to actually explaining them in layman's terms and Teamviewer allows me to do just that.

It also allows you the person being helped to see exactly what the helper is doing which can help show you some of the quick ways of getting around Windows to check settings and make adjustments as needed.

Let me first say Teamviewer is really safe - My customers at work (who pay for the privilege) use it all the time to let me connect to their PC's to resolve issues. It not a program that will allow anyone else even someone you give the connection ID and PIN number to 24/7 access to your PC as it only gives access for the length of time you keep that Teamviewer session running as each time its closed the old connection ID and PIN number become invalid. Subsequent runs of Teamviewer if done shortly after the first might well get the same 9 digit connection ID, but the 4 digit PIN number always changes each run.

To run Teamviewer (on Windows PC's) download this TeamviewerQS.exe and save it somewhere handy like your Desktop or My Documents.

http://www.teamviewer.com/download/version_6x/TeamViewerQS.e xe (2.5MB download)

Next up run the program. It doesn't need installing as this Quick Support version is standalone. If prompted by your PC's firewall to unblock it - say yes. Within a few seconds it will have generated a 9 and 4 digit unique number combination like below

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr345/KermitX/teamviewer.jpg
I ran TeamviewerQS myself just now to take this screenshot with at the time valid valid 9 & 4 digit numbers but as I've since closed it I know I'm safe to publish these numbers as they'll never be replicated even if i run it again

PM me (or anyone else you want to help you on your PC) the 9 and 4 digit numbers, then sit back and wait for the connection. Its important to keep it running while your waiting for them to read your PM or make the connection otherwise if you close it they won't get on and even if you re-run it, the numbers will be different. More often than not the first thing I'd do on connection to someone else's pc if I'm not already on the phone to them at the same time is to open the teamviewer CHAT option to say hello and let you know I'm about to check this or that.

Any questions then ask below or look at TeamViewers own website.

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

As I'm not charging for any help I give, we'll fall into the FREE for NON-COMMERCIAL USE bracket. Teamviewer do offer commercial versions of their software to make their money as well as variants designed to give different types of access to PC/Servers but we're not using these smile

For those interested more info on the other side of the connection
Re: Teamviewer [message #225927 is a reply to message #225925] Mon, 18 October 2010 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andy_scouser is currently offline  andy_scouser   United Kingdom
(16) Barry Sheene
Wow. You are a star!

Or should that read 'a glutten for punishment'.

May I suggest simon, the first question you ask before helping is, what have you tried so far?
Re: Teamviewer [message #225934 is a reply to message #225927] Mon, 18 October 2010 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
good idea Laugh Thumbs Up
Re: Teamviewer [message #225956 is a reply to message #225934] Mon, 18 October 2010 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
streeky is currently offline  streeky   France
(21) Valentino Rossi
Just downloaded it, i'm ready for something to go wrong now.. Laugh

Just a thought, can you, when connected to a pooter run a program on the visited pooter, IE say the RS. program we talked about, just out of interest..??.
Re: Teamviewer [message #225958 is a reply to message #225956] Mon, 18 October 2010 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
yeah sure you can...its just like being on the puter itself although I wouldn't try run a game as its all dependant on the speed of each ends internet connection so graphics/pics tend be a bit laggy on the screen update for the remote user but normal windows boxes and applications update for the remote user fairly quick.

You could for example use it to allow someone to connect to your pc so you can show them something eg your RS program Wink
Re: Teamviewer [message #225960 is a reply to message #225958] Mon, 18 October 2010 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yorkie is currently offline  Yorkie   United Kingdom
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
Got to back Kermit up on this one.

He has sorted problems for me using this programme and it's the dogs danglies. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Re: Teamviewer [message #226044 is a reply to message #225960] Tue, 19 October 2010 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
streeky is currently offline  streeky   France
(21) Valentino Rossi
Yorkie wrote on Mon, 18 October 2010 18:47
Got to back Kermit up on this one.

He has sorted problems for me using this programme and it's the dogs danglies. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Agree me too.. So this program is a must,(just in case).. Thumbs Up

ps-: Kermy thats what i was thinking.. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
so if anyone needs to see/test a program before buying (cough)
then this would be good... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Re: Teamviewer [message #226047 is a reply to message #225925] Tue, 19 October 2010 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slaz is currently offline  slaz   United Kingdom
(21) Valentino Rossi
Great, now how d'you spell it, Slazviewer Laugh Thumbs Up

Cheers Kermit,nice thought Thumbs Up
Re: Teamviewer [message #226049 is a reply to message #226047] Tue, 19 October 2010 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the beer hunter is currently offline  the beer hunter   United Kingdom
(17) Kevin Schwantz
Nice one Kerm.

I assume this is very similar to Windows Remote Assistance?

Thumbs Up
Re: Teamviewer [message #226051 is a reply to message #226049] Tue, 19 October 2010 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Yes, pretty much the same idea as remote assistance but easier to work with imo
Re: Teamviewer [message #226052 is a reply to message #226051] Tue, 19 October 2010 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andy_scouser is currently offline  andy_scouser   United Kingdom
(16) Barry Sheene
i dont want to scare you, but there is a mac version too Grin
Re: Teamviewer [message #226061 is a reply to message #226052] Tue, 19 October 2010 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Now that is scary......free Mac software eek

Just noticed there's an iphone version which I missed but think I might have a play with it to see how usable it is although by boss has already used the ipad version to remotely help someone and said it worked really well Thumbs Up
Re: Teamviewer [message #226425 is a reply to message #226061] Thu, 21 October 2010 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ginganinga is currently offline  ginganinga   United Kingdom
(17) Kevin Schwantz
1st hand experience , very very clever , its difficult to keep your hand off the mouse Blush , top program and top programmer type person . Thumbs Up

Ginga smile
Re: Teamviewer [message #226866 is a reply to message #225925] Tue, 26 October 2010 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the beer hunter is currently offline  the beer hunter   United Kingdom
(17) Kevin Schwantz
Kermit wrote on Sun, 17 October 2010 22:44

Let me first say Teamviewer is really safe - My customers at work (who pay for the privilege) use it all the time to let me connect to their PC's to resolve issues.

Another satisfied member here. Thumbs Up

Superb, thanks Si.
Re: Teamviewer [message #226867 is a reply to message #226866] Tue, 26 October 2010 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
No problem Phil.

Sorry couldn't sort your Yahoo but it seems pop email with Yahoo isn't free unlike the other big players in webmail

http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/enhancements/mailplus
Re: Teamviewer [message #261959 is a reply to message #226867] Sat, 19 November 2011 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stormbringer is currently offline  stormbringer   United Kingdom
(6) Moto1 GP Racer
Simon,

Used teamveiwer too! Can't rate it enough! Just out out interest, have you had to help peeps out with combo fix yet????
Re: Teamviewer [message #261975 is a reply to message #261959] Sat, 19 November 2011 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Haven't used combo fix for a while now, maybe a year or so and tend to use a few select utils (mainly kasperskys free utils + their live cd) and manual removal usually in safe mode

I had forgotten but I'm guessing your in the IT business too Thumbs Up
Re: Teamviewer [message #261996 is a reply to message #261975] Sat, 19 November 2011 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(6) Moto1 GP Racer
nope,

am IT wannabe i guess! did a few courses, and alot of self study!

had a few few NASTY viruses to remove from friends pooters so just learnt myself! Wall

mind you! easier to fix a pc than running a forum!

miles
Re: Teamviewer [message #261997 is a reply to message #261996] Sat, 19 November 2011 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(6) Moto1 GP Racer
just to add!

PLEASE DONT ALL GO SEARCHING FOR COMBOFIX!!!!!!!!

it can be brilliant but only when used when appropiate!

eek
Re: Teamviewer [message #262016 is a reply to message #261997] Sun, 20 November 2011 00:44 Go to previous message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
No problem, I like people who have a good go at fixing things themselves and by the sounds of it your a dab hand Thumbs Up

re combofix, think the fact that while it was/is quite good at removing nasties, it often messed some things up and that was one of the reasons I shyed away from it. I prefer to mess stuff up myself as at least I have a good chance of remembering what I did Laugh
Previous Topic: Microsoft Fix It's for common issues
Next Topic: Usefull programs for your PC
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Tue May 17 20:55:08 BST 2022

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03379 seconds