Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » Restores, Rebuilds and Tart ups. » Spal's SP1 reserection
Spal's SP1 reserection [message #241098] Mon, 28 February 2011 01:22 Go to next message
SPAL is currently offline  SPAL   United Kingdom
(13) MotoGP Champion
Well.

This didn't start as a rebuild but appears to have deterioated into 1

Bought this 99 SP-Y in 96 and for the most part its behaved itself - had a crazy idea to fit (free) R&G crasj bungs and thats where the fun started

To fit these bungs you need to remove the front engine bolt - honda in its wisdom decided to come up with a stupid idea to pass this bolt through steel adjuster - ally engine block - thinm air - ally engine block - ally frame

Can't understand why it would sieze Laugh

anyway, put bike into shop to have bolt taken out and ho ho - totally siezed - they had to cut adjuster out and still bolt no come out.

So, bought bike home - totaly striped to allow lump to be removed hopefully

Was undecided about which route to take until tonight - gonna strip engine and rebuild.

SPal

Re: Spal's SP1 reserection [message #241100 is a reply to message #241098] Mon, 28 February 2011 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
waiting to go to shp 2 have engine bolts removed :

index.php?t=getfile&id=18082&private=0
Re: Spal's SP1 reserection [message #241103 is a reply to message #241100] Mon, 28 February 2011 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andy_scouser is currently offline  andy_scouser   United Kingdom
(16) Barry Sheene
Is this another bike al? Why the new thread, it's hard to keep up Laugh
Re: Spal's SP1 reserection [message #241108 is a reply to message #241103] Mon, 28 February 2011 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lloydiecbr is currently offline  lloydiecbr   United Kingdom
(4) WSS Racer
about time the sp got tidy up it was starting to look a mess lol
Re: Spal's SP1 reserection [message #241110 is a reply to message #241098] Mon, 28 February 2011 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve p is currently offline  steve p   Europe
(10) MotoGP Racer
SPAL wrote on Mon, 28 February 2011 01:22
Well.

Bought this 99 SP-Y in 96 and for the most part its behaved itself - had a crazy idea to fit (free) R&G crasj bungs and thats where the fun started

To fit these bungs you need to remove the front engine bolt - honda in its wisdom decided to come up with a stupid idea to pass this bolt through steel adjuster - ally engine block - thinm air - ally engine block - ally frame

anyway, put bike into shop to have bolt taken out and ho ho - totally siezed - they had to cut adjuster out and still bolt no come out.

Was undecided about which route to take until tonight - gonna strip engine and rebuild.

SPal

it appears you bought a time machine at the same time buying a 99 bike in 96 Grin how many miles has it done mate?
Re: Spal's SP1 reserection [message #241141 is a reply to message #241110] Mon, 28 February 2011 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
steve p wrote on Mon, 28 February 2011 07:15
SPAL wrote on Mon, 28 February 2011 01:22
Well.

SPal

it appears you bought a time machine at the same time buying a 99 bike in 96 Grin how many miles has it done mate?

Ha ha, Oh oh, typo eek - bought in 06, Its got about 23K on it ( mostly all off road Laugh )
Re: Spal's SP1 reserection [message #241145 is a reply to message #241103] Mon, 28 February 2011 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
andy_scouser wrote on Mon, 28 February 2011 01:53

Hi Andy,

Nope same one, just getting smaller by the day Laugh

I started a new thread as certain individuals commented on the length of the PAIR valve removal thread, which started as PAIR removal, extended into Flapper valve removal, fitting rear jack up plate, rear shock & linkage removal/refitting

Now its moved on further to engine removal it seamed to make sense to keep all the carnage in 1 place eek

SPal
Re: Spal's SP1 reserection [message #241152 is a reply to message #241145] Mon, 28 February 2011 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andy_scouser is currently offline  andy_scouser   United Kingdom
(16) Barry Sheene
SPAL wrote on Mon, 28 February 2011 12:55
andy_scouser wrote on Mon, 28 February 2011 01:53

Hi Andy,

Nope same one, just getting smaller by the day Laugh

I started a new thread as certain individuals commented on the length of the PAIR valve removal thread, which started as PAIR removal, extended into Flapper valve removal, fitting rear jack up plate, rear shock & linkage removal/refitting

Now its moved on further to engine removal it seamed to make sense to keep all the carnage in 1 place eek

SPal

Ok then..... may i suggest, once the projects are complete, why not create a new thread with your story, WITHOUT all of the chat. It would be a great history of your build/problems. ill lock it for you to stop all of the kids ****ing with your mind Wink

keep the originals of course smile
Re: Spal's SP1 reserection [message #241203 is a reply to message #241152] Mon, 28 February 2011 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
Hi All,

Finally managed to remove tail rails Thumbs Up

Negative battery connection to engine & main frame earth point. Thats when the datatool decided to go into psyco mode - couldn't turn it off Thumb Down went off for an hour every thirty or so seconds until i worked out how to stut it up

Old datatool (series 2) with key switch was much better !

Removed rear caliper & rear master cylinder & rear hugger to allow as much access to rear cylinder bolts as possible.

Trying to ensure that if rear bolts need cutting out as well theres as little work for the shop to do as possible !

index.php?t=getfile&id=18091&private=0

Anyway SP's going into shop tommorrow so it may mean I'm on pot noodles for the rest of the month Laugh

SPal
Re: Spal's SP1 reserection [message #241240 is a reply to message #241203] Mon, 28 February 2011 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
Hi all,

continued stripping the front end

index.php?t=getfile&id=18092&private=0

Removed both the centre engine mount bolts - bolts come away easy but adjuster is rotten Thumb Down

Nothing really more to take off and leave as rolling chassis - still really undecided as to either:

Put engine back in with just a clean up or
Strip and get cases stove enamelled

Blade lump looks absolutly fantastic and sure the SP lump would look good, have a feeling i'd like to get finished in wining red but would probably cop out and just go silver eek

Anyway, next few days could get expensive so probably best not to plan too far ahead Laugh

SPal
Re: Spal's SP1 reserection [message #241265 is a reply to message #241240] Mon, 28 February 2011 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
I'm not sure stove enamelling is the way to go with SP cases as I think they look better in their natural state although your going to have to do something if theyre a bit furry. I've seen some bikes from members on here where they've spent time on the engine alloy thats a bit grotty using [iirc] things like scouring pads and tooth brushes and got the alloy looking pretty fresh again. It might take hours and hours of work but thats possibly nothing compared to the amount of work (and money) it'd cost to strip the engine down to a point where you could get the cases enamelled.

just my 2p smile
Re: Spal's SP1 reserection [message #241280 is a reply to message #241265] Tue, 01 March 2011 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
hi Kermit,

Yeah, I think your probably right in a way, without doubt a bike say like Nash's that has been well looked after looks superb, but I also feel that once whatever covering honda put on their engines has degraded to such an extent as this:

index.php?t=getfile&id=18095&private=0

then polishing probably won't be enough !

my concern isc also that once polished, you have destroyed whatever protection however nasty looking the original covering allowed

The stove enamelling process : ie - sand or bead blast- chemical clean & then stove enamel is not over expensive ( probably £200 ) for an engine its the cost of the parts (ie) head gaskets, streatch bolts, oil seals etc that bump up the price, but the results are pretty good !

Con't
Re: Spal's SP1 reserection [message #241282 is a reply to message #241280] Tue, 01 March 2011 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
Cont

index.php?t=getfile&id=18096&private=0

I think Quazi made a very valid point in one of his post when he described motorcycles as toys to be used in the dry, i was a bit dissapointed but on build quality and ability to continue to look good i have to agree Thumb Down

I can't see it getting any better, i wonder how many 2011 blades will be around in say 2030 ?

SPal
Re: Spal's SP1 reserection [message #241287 is a reply to message #241282] Tue, 01 March 2011 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SP2 Riley is currently offline  SP2 Riley   United Kingdom
(19) John Surtees
SPAL wrote on Tue, 01 March 2011 00:18
Cont

index.php?t=getfile&id=18096&private=0

I think Quazi made a very valid point in one of his post when he described motorcycles as toys to be used in the dry, i was a bit dissapointed but on build quality and ability to continue to look good i have to agree Thumb Down

I can't see it getting any better, i wonder how many 2011 blades will be around in say 2030 ?

SPal

loads i think as they will still be in the showrooms going by the price Wink
Re: Spal's SP1 reserection [message #241297 is a reply to message #241280] Tue, 01 March 2011 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
SPAL wrote on Tue, 01 March 2011 00:11

index.php?t=getfile&id=18095&private=0

then polishing probably won't be enough !

put it like that and yes I can see your problem but are you sure the bulk of that crap on the engine isn't oily crap that will shift with a few gunk treatments leaving the more common white furr?
Re: Spal's SP1 reserection [message #241299 is a reply to message #241297] Tue, 01 March 2011 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve p is currently offline  steve p   United Kingdom
(10) MotoGP Racer
Agree with Kermit, mine wasnt quite so bad but after a few hours with brillo/ wet and dry/ wire wheels etc. it looked pretty good. at only 24k dosnt seem worth splitting the engine which on the whole is hardly seen. had my cylinder heads shot blasted but only as they were goming off for tha pistons. then i just spray mine with loads of ACF before winter and only ride when its above 25c Cool need to get out more Grin
Re: Spal's SP1 reserection [message #241317 is a reply to message #241299] Tue, 01 March 2011 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
Hi Kermit/Steve

I havn't atempted to even degrease lump yet and don't plan on until i can get it onto a bench ( Back's not great today after two days of crawling around bike) Sad

You may well both be right ( which I hope u are, as I would be delighted if I could get it to a good finish without having to resort to enamelling !)

Time will tell. eek

Few more litle bits arrived today

2 off Exhaust rings
8 off Exhaust studs (yes I misread the description) V4 anyone ?

Have ordered remaining exhaust clamps, same as the first two I bought

Waiting for a call from Shop telling me what time he's picking up

Steve: ! thing I've been wondering - did you have to take valves out of heads when you had shot blasted or could they just be masked up?

SPal

Re: Spal's SP1 reserection [message #241339 is a reply to message #241317] Tue, 01 March 2011 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
Still waiting 4 bike to be collected Sad

index.php?t=getfile&id=18104&private=0

Not much more that can be taken off and it still be a "rolling chasis" Laugh

probaly be better off with Mx bike state of the ally Laugh

SPal
Re: Spal's SP1 reserection [message #241345 is a reply to message #241339] Tue, 01 March 2011 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(13) MotoGP Champion
Still waiting for bike to be collected Sad

After 3 calls to shop - i'm getting seriously pissed now, no body phones back,

Now, i know its my choice to deal with independant bike shops, and i do it as in my experience most of the main dealers are robbin bastards, but in this day and age of customer service, i would have expected that the motorcycle trade had moved out of the 18th century with regard to customer service.

Whats really frustrating, as someone who managed a workshop for ten years is that most people are crying out for reliable garages who actualy keep you informed, its not all good news. we know that, just cut the crap and tell the truth

just spoke to shop, again, ripped the shite out of him for not calling me back - colection 10:00 tommo.

SPal

Re: Spal's SP1 reserection [message #241358 is a reply to message #241345] Tue, 01 March 2011 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Quazi is currently offline  Quazi   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Hmmm bike shop service, there's a subject all on its own. Thumb Down

Long gone are the days of getting any help or proper service being the norm.

I mean how long do I have to wait for a fooking head gasket, I could have flown to America and picked one up myself within a week, it's been since January the 11th I ordered the stuff and not once has he contacted me, I have chased him all the way. The latest was "Oh yes, Mike it'll be here on Monday from the states and with you this week sometime."

I'm still waiting. Neutral Wall

This is a guy I did a lot of business with when it was a Drag bike, he was very well respected for his attitude and his work, but I'm afraid as always if you are a little man you get little service. smile
Previous Topic: SPal's CBR400RR tart up
Next Topic: HONDA CD175 RESTORATION PROJECT
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Thu Dec 03 17:23:46 GMT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.20691 seconds