Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » Restores, Rebuilds and Tart ups. » Luke's CB200 Project (The gradual transformation of a rusted old bike)
Re: Luke's CB200 Project [message #286925 is a reply to message #283448] Mon, 05 January 2015 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lukeyblunt is currently offline  lukeyblunt   United Kingdom
(1) Club Racer
Haha no, I'm not in a hurry at all.
Of course, it'd be nice to have her running as soon as possible.. but I'm just a student, so money for beans and bread comes first, unfortunately!! Laugh
(and studying 100 miles away from home doesn't do much help either!) - I'm hoping to have a good look at her over Easter while I'm back.

Just like they say.. Good things come to those who wait! think
Re: Luke's CB200 Project [message #286926 is a reply to message #286925] Mon, 05 January 2015 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
I thought times were hard when I was a student living off pot noodles but then I did have a grant which I'm pretty sure are a thing of the past Sad

I don't have your kind of patience myself but sure it'll be worth it in the end and you'll be learning a lot about mechanicing and techniques for cleaning things up along the way which seems to be a dying art in todays throwaway society Thumbs Up

Re: Luke's CB200 Project [message #286929 is a reply to message #286926] Mon, 05 January 2015 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gone2 is currently offline  gone2   Netherlands
(15) Kenny Roberts
If I were you I'd keep the rivetted link. Much more reliable.
Re: Luke's CB200 Project [message #287102 is a reply to message #286929] Tue, 13 January 2015 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DrMartin is currently offline  DrMartin   United Kingdom
(18) Geoff Duke
My old XS650 Yamaha had a soft rivet link on the cam chain which I removed and replaced a number of times on rebuilds. I just popped the rivet out with a chain tool and replaced the link with a new one. You used to be able to buy the soft rivet links separately.

Re: Luke's CB200 Project [message #290447 is a reply to message #283448] Mon, 29 June 2015 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(1) Club Racer
Hello and thank you to all who are following this feed..!

Apologies for the length timespan between posts. (Been busy finishing Uni)
On the plus side, I took a 3hr trip to Bradford on Saturday to pick up this running CD200, which I think is more of the 'baby steps' project bike that I initially wanted..!

index.php?t=getfile&id=21699&private=0

I've since stripped the tank, tried out a different (more subtle) set of a bars from a Harley and recoloured the logo's trim from gold to black, all while waiting for the battery to charge.

The chap I bought it from said he'd stripped it all down to race spec, and from what I'd gathered, removing the battery and using a coil to create some kind of bypass, so you don't need to battery to start it...? Does this sound feasible? - I couldn't get the spark plugs to spark when I turned it over - hence why I now have a battery on charge!

index.php?t=getfile&id=21700&private=0

Thanks again, chaps!
Re: Luke's CB200 Project [message #290561 is a reply to message #290447] Mon, 06 July 2015 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gone2 is currently offline  gone2   Netherlands
(15) Kenny Roberts
I suppose it is just about feasible that if you pushed the thing fast enough you might just get the generator to produce enough energy for a spark. You'd better be fcuking fit tho.
Are you intending to race this then? If so you might be better disconnecting the generator (all that DRAG) and running it off a lithium battery. They're only a couple hundred euro's. And it might save you -oooh- one or 2 bhp. That might make all the difference. Wink

One more thing, a battery should charge up overnight. If it's not attaining 13.5-14.5V on charge, or not holding 12.5 volts for at least 24hours off charge, you need to get another one.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 July 2015 19:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Luke's CB200 Project [message #290596 is a reply to message #290561] Thu, 09 July 2015 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(1) Club Racer
Fit..?! Me?! Perhaps I'll leave the battery in then! (The batteries all charged up well and working ... more so than myself!)

Had her running today but she scared that crap out of me, before I found that I hadn't put the carb back together properly /wasn't quite tuned.. at all.
I have no intention of racing it.. I don't even have a bike license yet.. I just fancied a project that was more than a bookshelf or push bike! - Hence why I'm on here, for some help and advice.

I'm sure I'll hit a few more ruts in the project so please do stand by for more questions!

Meanwhile, my Dad's taking his Lambretta down from the hospital bed (ironically, a real hospital bed) and we're putting this Honda up there!
Apparently I've re-sparked a passion of his, so he's keen to help me too! Thumbs Up
Re: Luke's CB200 Project [message #290599 is a reply to message #290596] Thu, 09 July 2015 21:46 Go to previous message
Quazi is currently offline  Quazi   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
There's no rush fella, just enjoy it.

Or let eh old man finish it for you. Wink

That seems to be an option for many a son in this day an age. I have a different sort of Honda to deal with, but it has the same scenario with me doing all the work, and he's doing all the disappearing! Laugh
Previous Topic: Do I ? or Don't I ?
Next Topic: Grandad will fix it
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Nov 17 11:17:04 GMT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01139 seconds