Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » Restores, Rebuilds and Tart ups. » It's a rebuild
It's a rebuild [message #291977] Thu, 29 October 2015 18:32 Go to next message
the beer hunter is currently offline  the beer hunter   United Kingdom
(17) Kevin Schwantz
Garage rebuild 2016.

Finally got planning permission a few weeks ago after a previous refusal so work will commence early 2016.
The plan was to have it built by now, we bought the house in February but once the initial plans were kicked out that put the stops on the planned summer build.

Once work starts I'll post up the progress.
Any suggestions for interior fittings or features will be most welcomed.
Garage will house both the car & the GS.

index.php?t=getfile&id=21781&private=0
Re: It's a rebuild [message #291988 is a reply to message #291977] Fri, 30 October 2015 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slaz is currently offline  slaz   United Kingdom
(21) Valentino Rossi
Hiya mate,nice to see your back,try running
a rad in there,and a old carpet is a must,
what side of the river did you end up 😉
Re: It's a rebuild [message #291990 is a reply to message #291988] Fri, 30 October 2015 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Hi Phil

Carpet is a must although if you insist the herasey that is allowing a car into a garage it might just be best in the upper part of the garage. Had the carpet in mine for 6+ years now, its got totally soaking a few times (with that bloody roof leak which is now fixed) or run off from drive way flash flood but still looks pretty good despite all the work I've carried out on it and adds a subconcious 5C to the tempature in there.

I'd be inclined to go for something like this essentially a decent amount of work top space (in green) for your tool box and other manly things and floor to ceiling shelving (in yellow) either DIY wood or those metal racks you can buy in Machine mart and similar. Also shelves above the work bench as its always handy to have stuff within easy reach.

All the above assumes car (blue) fits roughly as per my rendering with bike (red) to the side being able to get passed said car to the work area as and when it needs fettling.

index.php?t=getfile&id=21783&private=0
Re: It's a rebuild [message #291991 is a reply to message #291977] Fri, 30 October 2015 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(19) John Surtees
I have a tiled floor in the garage. Came with the house and saw no reason of changing it.
Pretty damn good flooring and it cleans easily: industrial detergent, pressure washer and you are good to go. Grin
Re: It's a rebuild [message #291992 is a reply to message #291991] Fri, 30 October 2015 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pecker is currently offline  pecker   United Kingdom
(11) MotoGP Podium Finisher
Has it got, or going to have a pitched roof ?
if so board out the loft space with a ladder access and you will have ample storage space which in turn will keep the garage below free of clutter, best thing i done,
Re: It's a rebuild [message #291994 is a reply to message #291988] Fri, 30 October 2015 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(17) Kevin Schwantz
slaz1 wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 09:52
Hiya mate,nice to see your back,try running
a rad in there,and a old carpet is a must,
what side of the river did you end up 😉

Always used old carpet - top advice Slaz Thumbs Up
Good suggestion plumbing a radiator into there too, especially as the old system is getting totally replaced Thumbs Up
Ended up in Formby mate smile
Re: It's a rebuild [message #291995 is a reply to message #291990] Fri, 30 October 2015 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(17) Kevin Schwantz
Kermit wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 15:29
Hi Phil

Carpet is a must although if you insist the herasey that is allowing a car into a garage it might just be best in the upper part of the garage. Had the carpet in mine for 6+ years now, its got totally soaking a few times (with that bloody roof leak which is now fixed) or run off from drive way flash flood but still looks pretty good despite all the work I've carried out on it and adds a subconcious 5C to the tempature in there.

I'd be inclined to go for something like this essentially a decent amount of work top space (in green) for your tool box and other manly things and floor to ceiling shelving (in yellow) either DIY wood or those metal racks you can buy in Machine mart and similar. Also shelves above the work bench as its always handy to have stuff within easy reach.

All the above assumes car (blue) fits roughly as per my rendering with bike (red) to the side being able to get passed said car to the work area as and when it needs fettling.

Just showing wifey the depth of response from this forum Thumbs Up she's impressed anyone gives a sh!t haha.
I'm thinking of not having a dividing wall between the garage & the utility room & opening up my area even more.
The car just squeezes in through the door so it'll sit in the front. No way will the GS sit alongside I'm afraid.
Great suggestions Si, all being written down.
Thumbs Up
Re: It's a rebuild [message #291996 is a reply to message #291991] Fri, 30 October 2015 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(17) Kevin Schwantz
Kakugo wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 18:32
I have a tiled floor in the garage. Came with the house and saw no reason of changing it.
Pretty damn good flooring and it cleans easily: industrial detergent, pressure washer and you are good to go. Grin

Keeping costs under control will probably rule out tiles M but I've seen those click-together composite tiles used in pit garages & they may be an option once the dust has settled & the cash replenished. Thumbs Up
Re: It's a rebuild [message #291997 is a reply to message #291995] Fri, 30 October 2015 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(19) John Surtees
the beer hunter wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 20:29

Just showing wifey the depth of response from this forum Thumbs Up she's impressed anyone gives a sh!t haha.
I'm thinking of not having a dividing wall between the garage & the utility room & opening up my area even more.
The car just squeezes in through the door so it'll sit in the front. No way will the GS sit alongside I'm afraid.
Great suggestions Si, all being written down.
Thumbs Up

Do it. My utility room is separated from the garage and it's quite inconvenient when working on the bikes.
Re: It's a rebuild [message #291998 is a reply to message #291992] Fri, 30 October 2015 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(17) Kevin Schwantz
Quote:
Has it got, or going to have a pitched roof ?
if so board out the loft space with a ladder access and you will have ample storage space which in turn will keep the garage below free of clutter, best thing i done,

Yes Pecks
& yes, that's planned smile Thumbs Up
index.php?t=getfile&id=21784&private=0

Re: It's a rebuild [message #291999 is a reply to message #291998] Fri, 30 October 2015 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yorkie is currently offline  Yorkie   United Kingdom
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
Only suggestion I'd make is centralise the garage door. Looks quite a nib on one side, you'll be surprised how restrictive this will make it when trying to tuck the car in tight, especially if you rack/bench the back area.

Re: It's a rebuild [message #292003 is a reply to message #291999] Fri, 30 October 2015 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slaz is currently offline  slaz   United Kingdom
(21) Valentino Rossi
STOP!!!!!
Before you do anything that right hand gable end wants sorting eek

Formby eh,the posh bit Thumbs Up
Re: It's a rebuild [message #292106 is a reply to message #292003] Wed, 04 November 2015 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gearbox is currently offline  Gearbox   United Kingdom
(15) Kenny Roberts
How about a sink on the wall between the garage and the utility? Can prevent the mucky hands in the new kitchen battle.

Also be tempted to take out the wall between the garage and the sitting room. Make a great workshop. Who does sitting anymore? eek

Another suggestion would be polystyrene under the garage floor to keep heat in for those cold nights tinkering.
Re: It's a rebuild [message #292142 is a reply to message #292106] Thu, 05 November 2015 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(17) Kevin Schwantz
Gearbox wrote on Wed, 04 November 2015 09:50
How about a sink on the wall between the garage and the utility? Can prevent the mucky hands in the new kitchen battle.

Also be tempted to take out the wall between the garage and the sitting room. Make a great workshop. Who does sitting anymore? eek

Another suggestion would be polystyrene under the garage floor to keep heat in for those cold nights tinkering.

Thanks, good ideas.
The sitting room is my computer/music room, I would be wary of security as there's only a garage door to breach before access to the whole house. Thumbs Up
Re: It's a rebuild [message #292145 is a reply to message #292142] Thu, 05 November 2015 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yorkie is currently offline  Yorkie   United Kingdom
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
the beer hunter wrote on Thu, 05 November 2015 14:43
Gearbox wrote on Wed, 04 November 2015 09:50

Thanks, good ideas.
The sitting room is my computer/music room, I would be wary of security as there's only a garage door to breach before access to the whole house. Thumbs Up

You'd be cold as well, the garage only has a single skin wall, plus it wouldn't meet building regs Wink

Re: It's a rebuild [message #292447 is a reply to message #292145] Tue, 01 December 2015 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(17) Kevin Schwantz
Nothing to report this week smile
Re: It's a rebuild [message #294092 is a reply to message #292447] Wed, 06 April 2016 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(17) Kevin Schwantz
Well the builder moved in last week, on the first day the old garage was in a skip.
Day 6 & the footings for the new extension are well under way.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x247/Panzerphil/image_zpsvegovfr4.jpeg
Re: It's a rebuild [message #294093 is a reply to message #294092] Wed, 06 April 2016 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(17) Kevin Schwantz
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x247/Panzerphil/image_zpsgv9hvypl.jpeg
Re: It's a rebuild [message #294102 is a reply to message #294093] Wed, 06 April 2016 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
If only they could build as fast as they can demolish Laugh

Looking at the foundations your new garage will be maybe 40% bigger/longer?
Re: It's a rebuild [message #294107 is a reply to message #294102] Wed, 06 April 2016 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
(17) Kevin Schwantz
Yes Si, just filling the available land at the side with more garage space.
The kitchen & rear room are being extended out too so the garage is extending to the rear to match.
Concrete should be going into the footings today.
Previous Topic: Gadget for custom bike builders
Next Topic: Fairing Decals
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Tue Oct 04 17:13:40 BST 2022

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03435 seconds