Honda-Forums.com
Home » Bike Specific Discussion and Help » CBR600RR, CBR600F » CBR600F 1999 only1st and 2nd gears
CBR600F 1999 only1st and 2nd gears [message #292216] Sun, 08 November 2015 22:35 Go to next message
tona955 is currently offline  tona955   United Kingdom
(1) Club Racer
Hi All,

I seem to be having a major issue with my Honda which I have not had for very long.

The clutch was replaced last month and everything seemed well and the bike has been great, I now have an issue since the last 3 days whereby it will not let me select any gears past 2nd gear, the foot lever seems stiff shifting to 3rd, 1st and 2nd seem good.

I took the foot rest off today but still attached to the gearbox, on its center stand I can select all the gears BUT the foot lever seems to have a lot of play in it, the geared shaft the goes into the gearbox has the play left to right but no play pushing it in or out.

I do hope I have explained my issue clearly and I am hoping someone here can tell me what I should be looking for in diagnosing the issue.

My first post here so take it easy, I am however very handy with a spanner.

Many thanks in advance.
Re: CBR600F 1999 only1st and 2nd gears [message #292221 is a reply to message #292216] Sun, 08 November 2015 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Hi

Have to be honest and say I'm not sure but given from what you wrote it seems to can change gears through the box with the bike on the centre stand, it could be something as simple as chain tension, incorrectly adjusted clutch lever/cable or the push/pull rod on the gear shifter being badly adjusted to the degree you cant put get your boot under and lift up the gear lever home high enough to positively select 3rd given upward movement a foot on a peg for upshifts is more limited than for downshifts.

I'd start by checking the chain tension. with the bike on the ground there should be about 25-30mm of slack in the chain measured from pulled down and up at the longest run on the bottom.
Next, how much slack in the clutch lever? ideally the lever has about 2-3mm of loose play before resistance is felt when you start pulling the lever and its acting against the clutch springs to pull int he clutch. More than 2-3mm of loose play might mean even with the lever fully in your not disengaging the gearbox from drive train enough. That said as a test if you wish you should be able to change up from 2nd to 3rd without using the clutch if you back of the throttle for a split second as you toe the gear lever upwards. This isn't a way round your problem but if you can change up to 3rd without the clutch it might help pinpoint where the issue lies as if it still won't change gear while moving but with that split second were you've backed off the power/drive it probably not a clutch issue. I wouldn't recommend changing down without a clutch...thats a lot more difficult.

I did once have fit a set of aftermarket rearsets on one of my old bikes that until I adjusted the threaded rod perfeclly the bike had similar problems changing gears other than 1st and 2nd which wasn't present with the old standard rearsets. Took a good bit of faffing with fine adjustments of the rod to get it to reliably change up and down so thats also something to look at especially if the rearsets on the bike aren't standard oem honda ones?

Finally, as the clutch was changed recently and I guess by a dealer/someone else? Maybe something isn't quite right with that as it does seem odd the problem has occured so recently after that clutch change. Was the clutch changed due to it starting to slip or for other reasons?

[Updated on: Sun, 08 November 2015 23:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: CBR600F 1999 only1st and 2nd gears [message #292300 is a reply to message #292221] Fri, 13 November 2015 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tona955 is currently offline  tona955   United Kingdom
(1) Club Racer

Many thanks for teh info Kermit, I appreciate the time you have taken.

I managed to strip parts down a bit further and discovered the gear selector return spring was broken, I had to drop the sump to look for the broken leg and luckily it was in one piece and had not gone through any gears.

£5.00 for a replacement which I should have tomorrow.

Many thanks once again.
Re: CBR600F 1999 only1st and 2nd gears [message #292302 is a reply to message #292300] Fri, 13 November 2015 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Didn't have that possabilty on my list although in hindsight its a fairly obvious one Blush but with a fair degree of spannering required which as you indicated on first post your not afraid off Cool

Well done finding the cause and adding it to our search results for anyone facing similar in the future Thumbs Up

[Updated on: Fri, 13 November 2015 21:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: CBR600F 1999 only1st and 2nd gears [message #292305 is a reply to message #292302] Fri, 13 November 2015 20:24 Go to previous message
gone2 is currently offline  gone2   Netherlands
(15) Kenny Roberts
Kermit wrote on Fri, 13 November 2015 13:40
Didn't have that possabilty on my list although in hindsight its a fairly obvious one Blush but with a fair degree of spannering required which as you indicated on first your not afraid off Cool

Well done finding the cause and adding it to our search results for anyone facing similar in the future Thumbs Up

Well done indeed. Can you fit the spring through the hole you've made by taking the sump off? That would be a real lucky escape.
Big question: Why did it break? Never heard of it before. think
Previous Topic: Led indicators
Next Topic: CBR 600 FR1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 16 09:04:51 BST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01429 seconds