Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » Workshop » Headache #1
Headache #1 [message #301784] Fri, 21 February 2020 19:13 Go to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(19) John Surtees
The O2/lambda sensor on my old and beaten up Honda was starting to malfunction again. NGK gives a lifespan of 60,000 miles for these second generation sensors and Denso a couple thousand more so it was no big deal.
I mean... replacing it is literally a five minute job that requires undoing four bolts to remove the exhaust header shield, disconnecting the 4P Sumitomo connector, undoing the sensor with a big M22 spanner and install the new one in reverse order. It's easier and faster to do it than type it.
Right.

I ordered an NGK sensor on eBay, but in a few hours the seller contacted me to say they had none left in stock so I took a refund.
Next up I headed to a local car parts store and bought one marked M&D. No clue who they are and with hindsight it should have said that way because it was defective out of the box. Another refund.
So third time's a charm, right? Wrong. I ordered a Denso (exactly the same thing as the original Honda spare, only less than a quarter of the price eek ) on eBay and it got here in 48 hours... too bad it was the right model but wrong connector! Laugh This time I opted to return it and get the correct one and finally the Odyssey is over.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Mixed-Gallery/i-2WxFRmc/0/cc05cad8/L/IMG_1535-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Mixed-Gallery/i-3VX3DTh/0/beb45676/L/IMG_1536-L.jpg
This story has two morales.
First, there's a very good reason why even BMW used Denso and NGK spark plugs and O2 sensors.
Second, always wear your spectacles when serving customers. Wink
Re: Headache #1 [message #301785 is a reply to message #301784] Sat, 22 February 2020 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tomthumb is currently offline  Tomthumb   United Kingdom
(6) Moto1 GP Racer
Thumbs Up Laugh Laugh
Re: Headache #1 [message #301791 is a reply to message #301785] Sat, 22 February 2020 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Denso @25% of the price of the Honda one, I'd have had no patience left and would have taken the connector off the old one and soldered it to the new one assuming its just a few wires in the shroud and used heat shrink etc

You have too much patience K Thumbs Up
Re: Headache #1 [message #301796 is a reply to message #301791] Sun, 23 February 2020 19:30 Go to previous message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(19) John Surtees
Kermit wrote on Sat, 22 February 2020 22:31
Denso @25% of the price of the Honda one, I'd have had no patience left and would have taken the connector off the old one and soldered it to the new one assuming its just a few wires in the shroud and used heat shrink etc

You have too much patience K Thumbs Up
I think I have said it before: I don't like splicing and soldering. Too many troubles over the years. Way too many troubles. No Finger

The Denso sensor is exactly what Honda will sell you, only it comes in a pastic envelope with a Honda code instead of a cardboard box. Only problem is first time around I was sent one with a female instead of a male connector. One sex change later (it's fashionable these days, apparently Laugh ) all is fine with the world and Honda didn't get a single penny.
Previous Topic: Ultrasonic Cleaner
Next Topic: CBF600S 2007 - fan relay
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Tue Aug 16 11:56:18 BST 2022

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01548 seconds