Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » General Discussion » Norton
Norton [message #301817] Wed, 26 February 2020 21:51 Go to next message
slaz is currently offline  slaz   United Kingdom
(21) Valentino Rossi
Found this today,thoughts think
Re: Norton [message #301820 is a reply to message #301817] Thu, 27 February 2020 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(19) John Surtees
Pipe probably knows more on the matter. think

My thoughts on Norton are well known, and are the same as with every single one of these small scall vehicle manufacturers: a flash in a pan at best, and humbug at worst. Jeremy Clarkson charitably said Nissan's budget to design an ashtray for one of their cars is probably larger than any of these small scale manufacturer's whole R&D budget, and he was most likely right.
If you buy a Fireblade, or an R1, or a Panigale V4, or even a KTM 390, it may not be as "unique" as one of these bikes, but it's better all around. The days when hand-drawn and hand-made frames like Spondon and Bakker were the way to go were numbered when Honda introduced CAD frame design for the CBR250RR already. These days if you want to overcome the limitations of mass-manufacturing all you have to do is buy suspensions and wheels for it. These days not even aftermarket exhausts are worth the hassle (and being pulled over) anymore unless you buy ultra-expensive exotica like Tadao Racing or HARC-Pro.

I wouldn't exactly use the term "scam" for Norton, but they surely have what I can only call a cavalier attitude towards fundamentals, such as training maintenance personnel and providing them with spare parts and literature. Even Ferrari is better than them, and that's quite a low blow there. Wink
But they surely loved being at the center of the spotlight and throwing tons of investors' money at racing, lavish presentation parties and the usual sycophantic press. As the saying goes, it's not their money and if they set up the corporate structure right (not exactly difficult) the only ones who'll be left out in the cold are the investors, the vendors and the poor devils who put down a deposit for a bike they won't ever see.
Re: Norton [message #301828 is a reply to message #301820] Tue, 03 March 2020 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quazi is currently offline  Quazi   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
It's a shocker but not a surprise, there seems to be much more emphasis these days on the window dressing of how to present something to look it's absolute best.

Doesn't matter if it's a lemon just make it look really yellow.
Re: Norton [message #301869 is a reply to message #301828] Sun, 08 March 2020 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pipe is currently offline  Pipe   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
There is lots of stuff within social media especially the @Not Norton Motorcycles on Twitter.

Shocking.

Anything else I want to say wont be in this section.
Re: Norton [message #301870 is a reply to message #301869] Mon, 09 March 2020 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(19) John Surtees
Pipe wrote on Sun, 08 March 2020 23:12
There is lots of stuff within social media especially the @Not Norton Motorcycles on Twitter.

Shocking.

Anything else I want to say wont be in this section.
I am looking at it right now. Looks more and more like a modern day Andrea Moda, aka the kind of "gentlemen" my father frequented. Laugh

And I am waiting for your take on the matter.
Re: Norton [message #302224 is a reply to message #301817] Sat, 18 April 2020 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(19) John Surtees
Heard Norton has been bought by some Indian billionaire for £16 million. eek

Given what we know about Norton I am actually surprised somebody paid that kind of money given the state it's in and given most of the world is doomed to an eternal lockdown. Maybe a cash laundering scheme? Wink
Re: Norton [message #302225 is a reply to message #302224] Sat, 18 April 2020 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yorkie is currently offline  Yorkie   United Kingdom
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
I'd imagine if you're a billionaire £16 million is loose change.
Re: Norton [message #302229 is a reply to message #302225] Sat, 18 April 2020 16:53 Go to previous message
(19) John Surtees
Yorkie wrote on Sat, 18 April 2020 15:16
I'd imagine if you're a billionaire £16 million is loose change.
India in recent years has produced plenty of "billionaires" who did not pass the litmus test. Wink
Previous Topic: Blog page
Next Topic: Covid-19
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Tue Aug 16 11:49:11 BST 2022

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03479 seconds