Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » General Discussion » Unsure if this is in the correct section. Honda cbr125r 2017 valve clearance recommendation. (Valve clearance help. )
icon7.gif  Unsure if this is in the correct section. Honda cbr125r 2017 valve clearance recommendation. [message #301829] Tue, 03 March 2020 22:21 Go to next message
Jbradford517@gmail.com is currently offline  Jbradford517@gmail.com   United Kingdom
(1) Club Racer
Hi, please can people help. Iv got a 2017 plate cbr125r which I purchased last march or may last year 2019 (will have to double check to confirm) it had just over 1000miles, i have now done just over 7100 miles on the clocks which consists of numerous long distance and one which was 660 miles hull to scotland. I do regular oil changes / oil flushes but I'm wondering when it is reccomended for these to have there valve clearances done/ checked if anyone knows please? Thanks

I own the haynes manual etc but believe this isnt mentioned. I'm also going to get this done professionally as I just dont have the time but honda dont help much with actually giving me an answer.

Thanks in advance.

Grin
Re: Unsure if this is in the correct section. Honda cbr125r 2017 valve clearance recommendation. [message #301830 is a reply to message #301829] Wed, 04 March 2020 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tomthumb is currently offline  Tomthumb   United Kingdom
(6) Moto1 GP Racer
Does it have a service history , check that it was done inside the first year, manual states every 5000miles , but I would do it at least every year or depending on how many miles you do
Re: Unsure if this is in the correct section. Honda cbr125r 2017 valve clearance recommendation. [message #301831 is a reply to message #301830] Wed, 04 March 2020 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tomthumb is currently offline  Tomthumb   United Kingdom
(6) Moto1 GP Racer
Sorry forgot to add valve clearances at every 2500, at least thats what the manual says but the engine will let you know when they need doing
Re: Unsure if this is in the correct section. Honda cbr125r 2017 valve clearance recommendation. [message #301832 is a reply to message #301831] Wed, 04 March 2020 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jbradford517@gmail.com is currently offline  Jbradford517@gmail.com   United Kingdom
(1) Club Racer
Service history prior to me doesnt let on its had valve clearances done etc just mentions oil etc, but the bike was sat with its first owner, they only did so many miles in the two years they owned it. I asked honda and they reckon they dont need doing for a long time as they're very reliable this and that. Think I will get them done for my piece of mind now..

Thank you for your help+!
Re: Unsure if this is in the correct section. Honda cbr125r 2017 valve clearance recommendation. [message #301833 is a reply to message #301829] Wed, 04 March 2020 11:52 Go to previous message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(19) John Surtees
Those are very simple and reasonably reliable bikes. The engine has been around since 2004 so it's well known.

Valve clearance check is every 4,000km/2,500 miles but I can assure you unless you are always racing the bike it's very unlikely to be that off to be noticeable. This is an engine made for South East Asia... how often do people check valve clearance there? Wink Checking and adjusting valve clearances on these engines is about the same as on Honda GX industrial engines (I actually think the head is a closely related design) and not that hard at all.
The most annoying thing on those bikes is the oil "filter". It's actually a strainer located inside the right hand side engine case. It needs to come off for cleaning every 12,000km/7,500 miles.

Not really much that can wrong on these bikes as they are a well proven no frills design: generally speaking if they behave well there's nothing wrong with them. The main problem on earlier bikes have been the wheel and steering stem bearings, but I think Honda replaced the no-name ones used previously with NTN and/or Nachi around 2014 and on a 2017 bike with so few miles they are most likely as good as new. Same thing with the battery: if you have a Yuasa that has been well-maintained it's likely to last many more years.
Many don't like the tyres they came with, but that's easily fixed.

And that's about it.
Previous Topic: Next scary thought
Next Topic: Bit of a Youtube vid
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Tue Aug 16 12:00:52 BST 2022

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02373 seconds