Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » Technical Help » Let's Talk CPU and Motherboards
Let's Talk CPU and Motherboards [message #302096] Wed, 08 April 2020 16:46 Go to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(19) John Surtees
I am not ordering anything right now because delivery services have rolled over and died here but I am starting to window shop for a big PC upgrade. In the specific since over the years I have basically replaced everything I would just need a new motherboard and CPU to go with it and maybe some extra RAM (currently 16GB, don't know if Windows 10 can handle more).
What's hot right now? Intel? AMD? And what about motherboards: MSI? Asus? Something else? think

Also with cryptocurrencies literally slaughtered (Bitcoin down 64% and Ripple down 93% pre-virus) there's starting to be some used gear for sale. Is this stuff reliable or is it the equivalent of buying a CBR600RR that has been raced with low oil within an inch of its life?

Thanks.
Re: Let's Talk CPU and Motherboards [message #302097 is a reply to message #302096] Wed, 08 April 2020 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
I can only really base my response on what I know about my upgrade a 3 months back. It seems like AMD has surpassed Intel in terms of bang per buck with me opting for an 8 core AMD Ryzen 7 2700 that as standard does 3.4Ghz but think 4Ghz or so for Turbo although I don't bother with that and have in fact in Win10's advanced power settings set the CPU to a max speed to 90% as prefer cooler/quieter running to higher temps and a bit more fan noise and don't run much in the way of modern games. I think the CPU was about £138 at back end of Dec but have just looked at CCL and OCUK shops and don't see it listed now, there's the 3700X which is similar but faster and of course twice the price...not sure what happened to 2700 and the slightly more expensive 2700X (unlocked core I think) since then, perhaps covid related supply issues?

But to upgrade to that CPU, I needed new motherboard (cost me £120 but some are closer to £200 now days) and DDR4 memory as old memory was DDR3 which no new model CPU/motherboard will use

I guess a lot depends on how much you want to spend then using that as the metric to find the best performance for buck?

Perhaps below a huge wedge and go for the second link below Grin

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-eight-core- 4.4ghz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-3b7-am.html
https://www.cclonline.com/product/307669/100-100000163WOF/CP U-Processors/AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-3990X-2-9GHz-Hexacontaqu ad-Core-Processor-with-64-Cores-128-Threads-280W-TDP-256MB-C ache-4-3GHz-Turbo-No-Cooler/CPU0646/
Re: Let's Talk CPU and Motherboards [message #302113 is a reply to message #302096] Thu, 09 April 2020 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(19) John Surtees
Thanks a lot for the reply.

Yesterday evening I spent a good twenty minutes on the AMD website and I am even more confused than before. Laugh
They have this new Ryzen family of processors called "Threadripper" which looks ridiculously powerful on paper and seems way cheaper than comparable Intel Skylake CPU. Suspiciously cheaper I may add. think
The catch is TRX40 motherboards are prohibitively expensive. eek
I don't know if they are just that way or it's because shipments from China and Taiwan are so difficult right now but I haven't seen such expensive motherboards in a decade or more. It's crazy.

This evening I will have a look at what Intel has to offer, but I think a decision will have to wait at least May when (hopefully) delivery services will start working again here.
Re: Let's Talk CPU and Motherboards [message #302134 is a reply to message #302113] Fri, 10 April 2020 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Quite a good deal on the 3700X CPU

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ryzen-7-3700x-eight-core-44 ghz-processor-borderlands-3-or-outer-worlds-and-3-month-game s-pass-27869-delivered-at-overclockers-3439160

At the time I bought my 2700, it also had this Borderlands game which I sold on ebay for £27.50 (about the going rate at the time), messaged the buyer the code only for a week or so later to be subject to a chargeback with the claim someone used the paypal/card without authorisation. I was fairly sure this was fraud attempt by the buyer (trying to get something for free) so fought it and this week got my £27.50 back in paypal although down £14 as there was a chargeback fee on top of that. Anyway, I digress and not sure what the game is worth on ebay but might the sort of game you'd like?

Motherboard wise, there's a wide range of prices. The B450 chipset board can be fairly reasonable and thats what mine uses, although I suspect the X570 chipset boards (that all seem to be £130+) would be better if you want to overclock but I don't see the need and so far B450 working well

https://www.cclonline.com/category/402/PC-Components/Motherb oards/AMD-Socket-Motherboards/attributeslist/1014032/

Haven't looked at Intel but suspect they may well have upped their game in the last few months with better bang/buck offerings than they perhaps had 6 months ago

Re: Let's Talk CPU and Motherboards [message #302140 is a reply to message #302096] Sat, 11 April 2020 16:47 Go to previous message
(19) John Surtees
I was having a look at the Intel website and several review websites and it seems the present top of the line Intel processor is the i7 9700K. Apparently the i9 is a bit of a dud and/or it still needs to be brought to full potnetial. Like the AMD Ryzen Threadripper it's somewhat scary to contemplate how better these new processors are when compared to their predecessors from three/four years ago. eek
It's kinda like what happened when Intel introduce Core Duo technology 15 years ago.

There's another thing I was considering: can a motherboard run a GTX970 and another GeForce GPU at the same time? think It would be good to recycle the old girl to get some extra power. Wink

Regardless, prices right now are pretty bad and supply is thin on the ground. Very thin. I have heard production in China and Taiwan has already restarted at 90% capacity so hopefully by the time deliveries get back on track.
Previous Topic: Old Disk Cleanup
Next Topic: Unidentified Network
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Tue May 17 20:56:16 BST 2022

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01650 seconds