Macrium Reflect [message #302131] Fri, 10 April 2020 22:07 Go to next message
slaz is currently offline  slaz   United Kingdom
(21) Valentino Rossi
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22537&private=0
think
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22538&private=0

Giz a Job Laugh

Thanks for last night too Wink eek
Re: Macrium Reflect [message #302133 is a reply to message #302131] Fri, 10 April 2020 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
No problem, happy to see it worked and fairly quick too Thumbs Up

How much space left on D drive now, enough for the next full backup on 1st Monday in May?

Question, are you taking screenshots with phone? Try the Windows 10 snipping tool, click mode and rectangle (mostly this is best option), then NEW and drag top left to bottom right and you can either paste straight into something like an email, word doc or SAVE icon and save as png for uploading

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22539&private=0
^^^ Snipping Tool test
  • Attachment: Capture.PNG
    (Size: 35.65KB, Downloaded 146 times)
Re: Macrium Reflect [message #302138 is a reply to message #302133] Sat, 11 April 2020 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slaz is currently offline  slaz   United Kingdom
(21) Valentino Rossi
It took a while though, think
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22541&private=0 Thumbs Up

• Attachment: Disk.jpg
    (Size: 15.07KB, Downloaded 147 times)
Re: Macrium Reflect [message #302139 is a reply to message #302138] Sat, 11 April 2020 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
28mins isn't so bad to backup your C drive (SSD) which is 134GB of data....equivalent to almost 30 DVD's Thumbs Up

Macrium compressed the 134GB image file so it might take a fair bit less than 134GB on the D drive \Macrium Images\ folder but certainly more than 65GB you have free. That said I did set Macrium to delete the oldest image before starting the next full backup so hopefully it'll do that, have enough space and at any one time going forward you'll have 2 full backups from the previous 2 months

Re: Macrium Reflect [message #302165 is a reply to message #302139] Sun, 12 April 2020 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Slaz, just turned my PC on and mines started its weekly differential backup so while there's a good chance you've got the idea from our Teamviewer session the other day, I thought I'd show you and anyone else interested how it works on mine as yours is pretty much the same concept

This are my PC's backups on my NAS which is like your D drive but bigger and on my home network somewhere I hope no one would spot it if ever I was broken into. I've sorted by date and you can see two large files which I've highlighted in yellow. These are full backups of my PC's C drive (250Gb but only about 100GB used) and 1TB D drive with about 800GB used. Mine is set to do prompt and start (if not cancelled) a full backup on the 1st of every month. The two files are about 800GB in size as mostly contains lots of uncompressable video, images, mp3s so dones't compress much as those files types are already just about as compressed as is possible (note remove 6 digits worth of size number to get GB/Gigabytes eg 600,000,000 = 600GB) then you can see in between each of those full backups are weekly backups which get bigger each subsequent week till the next full backup on the 1st April as they are backups of stuff thats changed compared to the last full backup and as the weeks go on, more has changed although its a relatively small amount as the vast majority of data on disks doesn't change much

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22543&private=0

*note - as on yours I changed the backup settings from giving each backup a random ID number to MOI PC FULL BACKUP just to make it easier to see which PC the backup is for.

Hope you or anyone else reading this doesn't need to resort to one of these backups in the event of disk failure but they certainly are worth doing ideally to an external USB stored away somewhere safe as while I've not lost count of the number of people who've brought me PCs and laptops with failed or failing disks hoping for data retrieval and in some cases I've been able to do that, in many I've not being able to retrieve files and its difficult telling them the data is gone Sad

So in these modern days of storing so much of value (sentimental and financial) on PCs, I can't stress highly enough to anyone how vital it is that some sort of backup of vital files is made from time to time.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree <-- the version I use, its free for home use

**Other backup systems/methods to own disk, USB, NAS or internal and online storage cloud are available but most cost some money especially the cloud storage ones which depend on how much space your using Wink
  • Attachment: Capture2.PNG
    (Size: 21.89KB, Downloaded 137 times)
Re: Macrium Reflect [message #302179 is a reply to message #302165] Mon, 13 April 2020 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gearbox is currently offline  Gearbox   United Kingdom
(15) Kenny Roberts
Thanks for that info Kermit. Just downloaded Macrium and am in the process of doing a backup. Seemed to have lost my last backup software Blush

Attempting to backup to a remote NAS drive.

Will have to have a brain refresh to see what I need to backup. Been a while.
Re: Macrium Reflect [message #302180 is a reply to message #302179] Mon, 13 April 2020 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(15) Kenny Roberts
Another thought. I use a file hiding program to hide my financial self employed stuff. Password protected.
Would this be included in a backup or would I have to remove the hide feature before backup?
Re: Macrium Reflect [message #302181 is a reply to message #302180] Mon, 13 April 2020 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
It will be included in the backup as the backup is an exact byte by byte image of the contents of the disk & partitions on it

Make sure you select the complete disk and all partitions. Eg this is my selections for my backup of two SSD disks to my NAS. I've saved it in the Backup Definations file and scheduled it for monthly (full backup) and weekly (differential) but can go into that tab any time, right-click on the file and choose Full or Differential

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22546&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22547&private=0
  • Attachment: Capture3.PNG
    (Size: 30.99KB, Downloaded 118 times)
  • Attachment: Capture4.PNG
    (Size: 40.14KB, Downloaded 120 times)
Re: Macrium Reflect [message #302185 is a reply to message #302181] Tue, 14 April 2020 08:21 Go to previous message
(15) Kenny Roberts
Thanks Kermit, starting to make some sence now.
Previous Topic: Unidentified Network
Next Topic: Iphone Apps
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Tue May 17 21:41:40 BST 2022

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.08642 seconds