Honda-Forums.com
Home » Racing, Tackdays and Riding » Racing » Dovi leaving Ducati
Dovi leaving Ducati [message #302626] Sun, 16 August 2020 08:50 Go to next message
Gearbox is currently offline  Gearbox   United Kingdom
(15) Kenny Roberts
Seems like Dovi will leave Ducati at the end of the season. Negotiations have gone away, so who will get the golden ride? Perhaps Zarco?
Next year will be a change. cal I suspect will be out unless he gets the Aprilia ride, but is it worth it? They don't have a good reputation with English riders. Messed Redding and Lowes about when they were with them.
Re: Dovi leaving Ducati [message #302627 is a reply to message #302626] Sun, 16 August 2020 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
At this point I think the riders market is more a matter of cold hard cash.
Leaving bike sales aside (horrendous in Europe but downright catastrophic in Asia) most sponsors will have to heavily cut their 2021 budget: government "largesse" can only get you so far. I doubt Monster Energy and Red Bull sell well in the present environment. And no races in the Gulf means no cash from the local magnates. think
Finally riders have been accustomed at getting paid well, probably better than ever if one puts the whole Rossi extravaganza aside.

Ducati has long been considered a toxic environment to work in, not unlike Ferrari if their R&D turnover is anything to go by. Troy Bayliss lasted as long as he did because he's an awfully nice person in real life and Carl Fogarty because he's... not so awfully nice. Laugh
It's well possible Dovizioso got burned out and/or he was asked to take a large pay cut for 2021 and hence decided to strike his luck elsewhere.
No idea about his replacement but since Ducati is in the same boat as everybody else it has to be somebody fast and cheap. Preferably the latter. Laugh
Re: Dovi leaving Ducati [message #302628 is a reply to message #302627] Sun, 16 August 2020 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(15) Kenny Roberts
Sounds like they did not even get to the money stage in negotiations. Dovi had already taken a hefty pay cut, so that was not the prime reason.

Ducati appear to have the old Honda mentality, its the bike not the rider.
Re: Dovi leaving Ducati [message #302630 is a reply to message #302628] Sun, 16 August 2020 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pipe is currently offline  Pipe   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Gearbox wrote on Sun, 16 August 2020 10:55
Sounds like they did not even get to the money stage in negotiations. Dovi had already taken a hefty pay cut, so that was not the prime reason.

Ducati appear to have the old Honda mentality, its the bike not the rider.
You mean it's not the bike ... it is the rider Laugh

Frankly their decisions are bizarre ..... They have always taken the older more experienced riders for big money with seemingly no plan to look forward to the future ... Look at Suzuki they take young talent and stick by them ... i dont think Maverick should have left Suzuki by the way ..

Time for Ducati to throw some money (and less of it) on some young talent and let them develop. Luca Marini, and i have always fancied Jorge Martin as a good talent ...

I don't actually think Jack is the man, although i like his character.

I do believe Bagnia is worth a punt, his Moto2 championship was won convincingly and he's getting a handle on the big bikes now, unfortunate injury.

I think after todays events, if i was VR46 i would be thinking ... fuck this, i have more money than i can spend.

Mentor Bagnia, Morbidelli and Marini ...

I think that would complete him.
Re: Dovi leaving Ducati [message #302631 is a reply to message #302630] Mon, 17 August 2020 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(15) Kenny Roberts
Guess he got a pretty big fright. How luck was that? He did look shocked in the garage.

Somewhere for Dovi to go if he does pack it in
Re: Dovi leaving Ducati [message #302856 is a reply to message #302626] Mon, 09 November 2020 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
According to the Italian press Dovizioso is heading over to MX. Basically the opposite of what Jean-Michel Bayle did back in the days and hopefully he'll have more success in MX than the Frenchman had in GP. Wink
Re: Dovi leaving Ducati [message #302865 is a reply to message #302856] Fri, 13 November 2020 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(15) Kenny Roberts
Looks like he said no to Aprilia, as did Cal. Suspect there is something with Dovi and Honda on the back burner. Still rumours about Mark Marquez returning, as he will not compete at all this year.
Maybe a back up deal in case MM does not return.
Meanwhile, it looks like Cal has a testing deal with Yamaha sorted, don't know if this includes wildcards.
Not sure where this leaves Aprilia. They do not have a good reputation for looking after their second riders.
Re: Dovi leaving Ducati [message #302866 is a reply to message #302626] Fri, 13 November 2020 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
Dovizioso is burned out, and understandably so. As the saying goes around here "they took away his will". Thumb Down

Dovi said that Honda contacted him to replace Marc Marquez about one month ago but no deal was reached. Aprilia is out of the question because "they have very limited economic and technical resources", which casts a major shadow on the seriousness of the whole Piaggio MotoGP effort. And apparently he's under a NDA about what happened with Ducati.

Re: Dovi leaving Ducati [message #302939 is a reply to message #302626] Mon, 11 January 2021 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(18) Geoff Duke
The NDA Dovi had with Ducati as run out and so he has given his side of the story.

To cut a long story short, during the Summer of 2019 Dovi had a major falling out with Luigi Dall'Igna, who's basically the guy who runs the Ducati MotoGP effort as personal property. Dovi refused to deny or confirm this but an Italian sports paper reports Dall'Igna tried to have Dovi fired shortly after that episode but was stopped by the Ducati CFO since the financial penalties would have been "crushing", so Dovi and Dall'Igna were kept as separated as possible by the staff who according to Dovi did "a cracking job".
Why the quarrel? Dovi voiced a major concern of all Ducati riders: Dall'Igna continously and personally interfered with bike development, overruling the designers or ordering them to disregard suggestions by the riders. It's an old story, basically what made Stoner's life miserable and what drove Rossi to take a pay cut just to get back to Yamaha as soon as possible.

While Dovi may have embellished the truth a little, he told nothing new. Dall'Igna is a domineering SOB in the mold of Ron Dennis of McLaren fame and needs a strong willed rider (preferably an SOB like himself) to put him back in his place. Dovi, kinda like Stoner, is too gentle and kind for the task and while Rossi had the disposition and leverage... well, he knew Yamaha would take him back in a heartbeat so he just pocketed the cheques and waited for his contract to run out.

Dovi also said he will be back on track February 28... an MX track to be specific. The Italian MX commission has granted him use of #34 for the whole year so he's as pleased as punch for now.
Re: Dovi leaving Ducati [message #302947 is a reply to message #302939] Sun, 17 January 2021 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pipe is currently offline  Pipe   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Kakugo wrote on Mon, 11 January 2021 14:43
The NDA Dovi had with Ducati as run out and so he has given his side of the story.

To cut a long story short, during the Summer of 2019 Dovi had a major falling out with Luigi Dall'Igna, who's basically the guy who runs the Ducati MotoGP effort as personal property. Dovi refused to deny or confirm this but an Italian sports paper reports Dall'Igna tried to have Dovi fired shortly after that episode but was stopped by the Ducati CFO since the financial penalties would have been "crushing", so Dovi and Dall'Igna were kept as separated as possible by the staff who according to Dovi did "a cracking job".
Why the quarrel? Dovi voiced a major concern of all Ducati riders: Dall'Igna continously and personally interfered with bike development, overruling the designers or ordering them to disregard suggestions by the riders. It's an old story, basically what made Stoner's life miserable and what drove Rossi to take a pay cut just to get back to Yamaha as soon as possible.

While Dovi may have embellished the truth a little, he told nothing new. Dall'Igna is a domineering SOB in the mold of Ron Dennis of McLaren fame and needs a strong willed rider (preferably an SOB like himself) to put him back in his place. Dovi, kinda like Stoner, is too gentle and kind for the task and while Rossi had the disposition and leverage... well, he knew Yamaha would take him back in a heartbeat so he just pocketed the cheques and waited for his contract to run out.

Dovi also said he will be back on track February 28... an MX track to be specific. The Italian MX commission has granted him use of #34 for the whole year so he's as pleased as punch for now.
So they (Ducati) took him from Aprilia and with both brands never succeeded?
Re: Dovi leaving Ducati [message #302949 is a reply to message #302947] Fri, 22 January 2021 10:57 Go to previous message
(18) Geoff Duke
[quote title=Pipe wrote on Sun, 17 January 2021 23:32]Kakugo wrote on Mon, 11 January 2021 14:43

So they (Ducati) took him from Aprilia and with both brands never succeeded?
Old boys' network and all of that: the guy is basically untouchable for the Italian media and I expect if he were to be fired they'd be up in arms to protect him.

Dovi did not use harsh words but kept it very technical, especially when it came to Dall'Igna poking his nose into mass distribution and engine development, and Dall'Igna and Ducati have kept very quiet on the matter meaning Dovi has hit close to the target.
I find funny Honda over the years has been accused time and time again of the same behavior, often with very little or no proof, and when Ducati is caught redhanded the media scramble to hide from view somebody who got royally ****ed over by exactly the same behavior and seems to know what he's talking about.

But again, the media have their darlings, as we have learned all too painfully over the last year.
Previous Topic: So Long Brno
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Sun Jan 24 17:58:18 GMT 2021

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03372 seconds