Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » General Discussion » Aprilia RS660
Aprilia RS660 [message #302795] Thu, 15 October 2020 17:14
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
I've just seen this thing on the Internet.

On paper it looks like a winner, very very compact, will handle well out of the box like Aprilia's have always done and finally manufacturers are getting that on that kind of bike a pillion seat means so much dead weight and a higher insurance premium to boot. It seems like the engine is as strictly half an RSV4's: kinda like Honda whose NC700/750 engine is half that of the old Jazz car. Laugh
I don't think there's a Factory version available (yet) but the rags here say €11,050 for the standard version, or about the same price as a bare bone retro bike.

The problems I see: to keep the price in that region Piaggio had to cut corners. Most components look cheap, starting from suspensions (standard Marzocchi/Sachs/etc units have long been Aprilia's weak point, needing rebuild or replacement at very low mileage), but it's the price to pay for that. Paint schemes are simply obscene, but again that's Aprilia for you and it's kinda ironic the purple/red version which harkens back to the AF1/RS125 production racers of the early 90's won't mean a thing to the age groups this bike is aimed to.
Oh, and it's an Aprilia: this means reliability and build quality are hit or miss and that spare parts may become unavailable much sooner than owners would like.

Finally there's another issue: nobody has a clue when it will hit dealerships. You can pre-order one now but Piaggio doesn't say when deliveries will start. I don't think this is sloppiness on their part, just that it reflects their fear another full lockdown may hit us and send deliveries times well into the future: differently from BMW, Italian bike manufacturers and their vendors haven't got an assurance from the government they will be able to keep on working. think
A whole lot of good having new bikes will do us if we are under house arrest once again.
Previous Topic: Honda Engine Need Info
Next Topic: New Toy
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Thu Dec 03 16:31:00 GMT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04983 seconds