Honda-Forums.com
Home » Bike Specific Discussion and Help » CB600, CB900, CB1000, CB1300 » Cb250 Charging issue. Who can solve the puzzle!? (Cb250 wont provide enough volts to charge. Im stumped)
icon4.gif  Cb250 Charging issue. Who can solve the puzzle!? [message #302869] Sun, 22 November 2020 23:04 Go to next message
lkas94 is currently offline  lkas94   Australia
(1) Club Racer
Hey folks,

I have a charging issue that has left me stumped.

I thought id put all the information out there and see if any of the more talented minds out there than myself can figure out what the issue is.

BIKE:

2004 CB250 Nighthawk - Upgrade coming soon ! Wink

ISSUE:

Bike not charging, only getting 12.6v max at the battery when running.

After a bunch of tests i replaced the RR incase it was limiting the output too much, but that didnt make a difference.

I checked the VAC output of the Stator and found it was only around 12VAC @ 1000rpm, 30VAC@ 3000rpm, and 40VAC @ 5000rpm. I'm of the opinion this if far to low? As it should roughly double every 1000rpm

Otherwise all the tests for the stator checked out (resistance and connectivity)

I decided to buy a replacement, hoping that would do the trick, but received it today and after install the VAC output of the stator is still same as before (too low to charge).

Any ideas would be much appreciated as im lost as to where to look now.

Thanks in advanced.

Lucas
Re: Cb250 Charging issue. Who can solve the puzzle!? [message #302870 is a reply to message #302869] Mon, 23 November 2020 08:36 Go to previous message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(18) Geoff Duke
I feel like this is a déjà vu. I don't know if it's you who asked it previously or somebody else, but charging issues with those older Honda twins seem to be all over the place, and they aren't easy to diagnose.

First thing to keep in mind is this charging system is undersized and effectively doesn't charge the battery below 2,000rpm. Nothing you, or anybody else, can do about it: it's that way by design.
Second thing: if everything else fails, it's the flywheel (aka rotor). The one used on the CB250 has been around for donkey's years, it's known to wear out rather quickly and is expensive.

I don't know if these flywheels can be tested on the bike, but I'll ask later and report back. think
Previous Topic: CBF 600 N 2009.
Next Topic: Introduce yourselves and your bike(s)
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Sun Jan 24 18:02:04 GMT 2021

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02752 seconds