Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » Technical Help » So I Have Bought...
So I Have Bought... [message #302951] Fri, 22 January 2021 11:21 Go to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(19) John Surtees
... a ton of PC components out of a cryptomining operation nearby that closed down last week, a mixture of new and used components.
I only need some more pieces and I'll be assembling a new PC as unfortunately mine is starting to have a few motherboard issues.

Here's a few things I need info about.

1) Windows 10. How do I buy it? And more importantly how do I install it? This new PC will only have an external (USB) DVD drive and I literally have no clue how to download Win 10 on a PC with no OS. I've seen USB drives being sold on Amazon but they seem to be a mixture of genuine and counterfeit... think

2) Hard Disk #1. I will get an SSD M2 to run the OS and the most important programs. Seem about the same price as ordinary SSD and with less cables going around. Worth it?

3) Hard Disk #2. I want to just take my ordinary 2TB HD and slap on it. Too much stuff in it. Laugh Can I do it or do I have to migrate the data?

Oh, and I'll have so much fun reinstalling all the stuff I don't remember the passwords/activation codes for. Laugh
Re: So I Have Bought... [message #302952 is a reply to message #302951] Fri, 22 January 2021 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Kakugo wrote on Fri, 22 January 2021 11:21
1) Windows 10. How do I buy it? And more importantly how do I install it? This new PC will only have an external (USB) DVD drive and I literally have no clue how to download Win 10 on a PC with no OS. I've seen USB drives being sold on Amazon but they seem to be a mixture of genuine and counterfeit... think
Windows 10 installation is dead easy and pretty quick if installing to SSD, perhaps 10-20mins tops. You just need a USB memory stick thats 8GB+ (Windows 10 installer is about 4.5GB) then go here and download the Download Tool and when prompted, choose the USB stick and it will be populated with Windows 10 installer thats bootable. You can do that ahead of time or even if running Windows 7/8 at present on old PC, choose to UPGRADE THIS PC and it'll work then transpose disk to new PC or clone the Windows partition/drive to a new SSD later on.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

As for the key, 2 options
1) If you still have Windows 7 or 8 serial number, then it will probably still work as I've done some upgrades recently from Windows 7 to 10 and it installed without issues, no keys required so MS still accepting those old licenses as valid upgrade paths
2) Buy a cheap key from somewhere like this https://www.electronicfirst.com/gift-cards/windows-10-profes sional-oem/?ref=221176 the link I got from UK Hot Deals website and seems valid enough...Windows 10 Pro (ensure you install 64bit version) for <£5

Quote:
2) Hard Disk #1. I will get an SSD M2 to run the OS and the most important programs. Seem about the same price as ordinary SSD and with less cables going around. Worth it?
When I upgraded about this time last year, I choose a motherboard with NVME which is M2 slot but hooked up more directly to the faster parts of the motherboard & also a 256GB NVME SSD drive (Samsung). In bench marks its a lot faster (upto 3200MB/sec read 2400/writes compared to Sata 3 which maxes out at 550MB/sec) but in real world you'd barely notice any difference between 2.5" SATA SSD and NVME but its a lot smaller/neater and although not the sort of speed incrase you get going from HD to SSD (for Windows/Programs) its probably worth having but check if the motherboard hass NVME compatable slots then ensure the M2 drive your getting is NVME and not just M2 SATA. The description with reference to speed of the drive your looing at on any M2 SSD will help here, if it states Max 550MB/sec its M2 SATA (just like 2.5"/3.5" SATA 3 HD's with cable connection) if its speeds quoted are above that and into the 1000MB/sec then its M2 NVME.

Quote:
3) Hard Disk #2. I want to just take my ordinary 2TB HD and slap on it. Too much stuff in it. Laugh Can I do it or do I have to migrate the data?
You can use that in the new PC although I'd advise not using it for the OS as it will make PC slow compared to SSD (SATA or NVME) but if for example Windows 7/8/10 you have at present is on a single partition smaller than the size of the SSD you intend to buy, you could use Macrium reflect (free edition is fine) to clone the HD (or that specific partition) to the SSD either before or after booting the new PC up

If you know which motherboard Make/Model you have, post it here and a perhaps a link to a preferred site for buying SSD/M2 drive, preference in size (256GB fine for OS/Programs) with the 2TB used for data including the USER\username folders
Re: So I Have Bought... [message #302953 is a reply to message #302952] Fri, 22 January 2021 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Example

M2 NVME Drive https://www.cclonline.com/product/270426/MZ-V7S250BW/Solid-S tate-Drives-SSDs-/Samsung-970-Evo-Plus-250GB-PCI-Express-M-2 -Solid-State-Drive-Internal-/SSD0911/ (what I have for my OS/Programs)
M2 SATA III Drive https://www.cclonline.com/product/247875/MZ-N6E250BW/Solid-S tate-Drives-SSDs-/Samsung-860-EVO-250GB-M-2-2280-SATA-III-In ternal-Solid-State-Drive/SSD0726/

Both look similar but the upper NVME is miles faster (in benchmarks at least). So check Motherboard to see which type of M2 slots it has and buy appropriately as similar sort of prices mean might as well go faster if possible.

Notice the pins on the above, the SATA III M2 drive has 2 cut outs on the gold pins, the NVMe M2 drive has one.
Re: So I Have Bought... [message #302956 is a reply to message #302951] Sat, 23 January 2021 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(19) John Surtees
Thanks a lot, especially the advice on pins. Thumbs Up

Amazon has a promotional sale on Crucial hardware this weekend: 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe for €100. That pretty much settles it.

The motherboard is this one:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Mixed-Gallery/i-DmNMFrV/1/2f31d51e/XL/IMG_1782-XL.jpg

It has two M.2 slots so no problems.

Win10... funny thing is buying the USB version straight from Microsoft is €145 while buying through an Microsoft authorized dealership is €89. Laugh
Re: So I Have Bought... [message #302957 is a reply to message #302956] Sat, 23 January 2021 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Same line of motherbaords as mine, ROG Strix although mines the cheaper B450 chipset and ITX size.

Motherbaord like mine, has 2 x M2 slots that can be either SATA or the faster PCIe/NVMe https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B550-F-GAMING /specifications/

Assuming you have still working PC at present, then forget both the €145 & €189 options, get your own 8GB+ USB stick for <€5-10 then use the linked Microsoft tool to download an Windows 10 installation to the USB stick and either type in a Win7/8 license key if you have one or buy a £5 Win10 license key. Note ensure when starting the Windows 10 installation, you choose the version thats appropriate for the key you'll be using so 64bit (thats the definite..dont install 32bit/x86) then Windows 7 Professional key = Windows 10 Professional, Windows 8 Home = Windows 10 Home etc

The main thing then (after buying the drives) is to decide where to install Windows 10 to. Personally I'd get the new PC with NVMe SSD put together and install straight to the empty SSD drive then once you have Windows 10 up and running, add in the 2TB HD and use that for DATA side of things and you can relocate each of the default C:\USERS\username\folders (eg Video, Pictures, Documents) by right-clicking on them and moving to another drive prepped with a D:\USERS\username folder

this way your NVME if like me you were to opt for a smaller 250GB drive, won't fill up with data as the main thing for speed is having Windows 10 and Program Files on the SSD. That said, if your going 1TB SSD, you probably won't need to do that if your data storage needs for your current C:\USERS\username folder isn't extreme and can instead use the existing 2TB HD for perhaps a D:\GAMES folder (games tend to be large installations) and perhaps for backups or other large data

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22627&private=0

Lastly, I'd normally always recommend going Samsung for the SSD as I've fitted loads at work (30+) over last 5 years and can't recall any issue with them. I did have an Intel SSD in my work laptop and that failed after ~2-3 years so despite the Intel brand, I still prefer Samsung. I did however break with this promise to myself at xmas and bought a Western Digital Blue 1TB NVMe SSD to replace my still perfect working order 1TB 2.5" Samsaung SSD SATA disk with 550Mb/sec speeds. Tbh I can't say I notice the difference in speed (except in benchmarks) but its neater and the WD Blue was ~£100 while the Samsung equivlient NMVe SSD was ~£130-140 so took the risk and its fine so far and hoping its longevity is as good as Samsung SSD's.

• Attachment: Users.png
    (Size: 27.86KB, Downloaded 139 times)
Re: So I Have Bought... [message #302959 is a reply to message #302951] Sat, 23 January 2021 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(19) John Surtees
My idea was exactly that: install Windows on the SSD, perhaps install all other program that should go there (OpenOffice, AMD software etc), then simply install my old hard disk. Great minds think alike and all of that.

I will buy an activation key, but if Microsoft says it's already in use in Uzbekistan you'll hear from me. Laugh

I hope to have the RAM here this week, then unless I am missing a few cables (which hopefully Amazon will provide overnight) I'll start assembling and installing.
Re: So I Have Bought... [message #302960 is a reply to message #302959] Sat, 23 January 2021 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Sounds like a plan Thumbs Up

Re AMD software, mostly with Windows 10 don't install too many manufacturer drivers as Windows 10 does a good job of installing most of what you need although I would install AMD/Nvidia graphics drivers, perhaps Sound Drivers (often not required) and in some cases an NVMe driver eg my Samsung NVMe has a specific driver which I've installed and replaced the Microsoft driver but fairly sure if I recall correctly, benchmark before and after changed very little.
Re: So I Have Bought... [message #302966 is a reply to message #302951] Thu, 28 January 2021 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(19) John Surtees
So almost everything works perfectly.

"Almost" means the PSU I bought just doesn't work and the RX 580 throws video artifacts during the BIOS already. The rest works great though and the case fans are very quiet. Laugh

I can recycle my present PSU, a semi-modular Corsair 650W, but I dread the idea of hunting down a new GPU in the present climate. Doh
Re: So I Have Bought... [message #302967 is a reply to message #302966] Thu, 28 January 2021 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Good stuff mostly Thumbs Up

re the artifacts on the RX580. As you mentioned the card came from a crypto mining operation so its possible they modified the cards bios/firmware as I've heard this is often done in high end cards used for mining to perhaps undervolt the card and save electricity so it maybe worth checking with something GPU-Z if the bios is standard or perhaps a modified bios.

It may also be worth trying a slightly different driver or going by what I've read online, perhaps turning down the cards memory speed

This is my PCs card although I've just bought a used but nice PC for my son and that has a Radoen RX Vega 64 in it which I think is along the same lines as your card but older. Still its a very capable card and iirc about 80-85% faster than mine that does me just fine. The fan on the Vega is a bit loud when it gets going and the amount of control the ATI/AMD software utlity is a bit silly/OTT with far too much faffing around/tweak settings for my liking but it does run games very well
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22629&private=0

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-ati-flashing- guide.212849/ <-- GPU flashing. Use at your own risk Tongue
  • Attachment: GPUZ.PNG
    (Size: 36.48KB, Downloaded 85 times)
Re: So I Have Bought... [message #302970 is a reply to message #302951] Fri, 29 January 2021 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(19) John Surtees
Well, problem solved: I've sold the GPU to a cryptominer a mere hours after listing it. Laugh
Re: So I Have Bought... [message #302972 is a reply to message #302970] Fri, 29 January 2021 21:29 Go to previous message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
result Thumbs Up

Previous Topic: Sharing/Linking YouTube Viedeos on Whatsapp
Next Topic: Windows 10
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Tue May 17 21:34:30 BST 2022

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.10032 seconds