Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » Technical Help » Teamviewer question
Teamviewer question [message #302997] Fri, 12 February 2021 08:24 Go to next message
Gearbox is currently offline  Gearbox   United Kingdom
(15) Kenny Roberts
Guess this one is for you Kermit.

The situation is that we have a new stand alone software package running at the garage and we would like to be able to update or use data at home, can Teamviewer actuall run the package remotely?

It does sound like there has to be people at both computers in order to work Teamviewer.
Re: Teamviewer question [message #302998 is a reply to message #302997] Sat, 13 February 2021 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Hi GB,

Yes Teamviewer can be used in the way you want, eg you setup Teamviewer Host on the PC at the garage and this will give it a unquie ID number which either has a random password (which changes after each connection) or a specific password you can specify in the hosts PCs settings, then making note of that ID and Password, install the full version of TV at home, add in the ID and Password and give it a name (eg Garage PC) then its a double-click on new entry in TV and you'll be presented with either a Window (or full screen if you wish) of the remote PC as if you where there in the garage on the PC itself....you can login etc and use the package as if you where there.

One problem with Teamviewer is the cost, for a proper license its £31.90/month although you can use it as free version but if it detects your using it quite often ie commercially after a while (weeks/months) it may start disconnecting you after 5-10mins with a reminder its free only for the odd adhoc sessions.

Below is an example, in my TV at home I have a list of various PCs I can connect to (identities blurred to protect the innocent Tongue ) which I've organised into Groups (Companys/My own PCs), all I have to do to connect is click the entry I want to connect to. On the right is a connection to my office PC ready to login. Files can also be transferred and PC locked automatically after use (if it was locked when connecting it defaults to locking when disconnecting but this can be changed)

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22633&private=0

I don't however use TV much when working from home as we only pay for 3 licenses (about £1k/year) and instead we use VPN to the office router, then Remote Desktop to the office PCs which is free and doesn't tie up the 3 connections which we use mainly for connecting to customers systems.

One other option thats free would be Remote Desktop straight to the office PC. For this you need to be able to get into the office router and forward a port to the Remote Desktop port which as default is TCP Port 3389 and IP of the garage PC but you have to be careful and a) ensure the garage PC has good password b) disguise that port 3389 is open by opening a different port to the internet eg random TCP port 54364 etc and ideally also set the router to only accept the connection from a specific IP address eg your home IP although this gets tricky as most home users have dynamic IP addresses which will usually change when the home router is rebooted.
  • Attachment: TV in use.jpg
    (Size: 198.19KB, Downloaded 77 times)
Re: Teamviewer question [message #302999 is a reply to message #302998] Sat, 13 February 2021 14:56 Go to previous message
Gearbox is currently offline  Gearbox   United Kingdom
(15) Kenny Roberts
Thanks Kermit,
Excellent advice as usual. Appreciate your time.
Will probably be back when the relavent PC's are running
Cheers
Previous Topic: Windows 10
Next Topic: Windscribe
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Wed Jul 06 08:35:01 BST 2022

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05436 seconds