Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » Technical Help » IPhone 6 Mobile Data
IPhone 6 Mobile Data [message #303038] Mon, 29 March 2021 17:20 Go to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(19) John Surtees
So my old iPhone 6 is starting to have a problem: mobile data is starting to be a problem.
When trying to check weather, stocks and all apps needing mobile data it will be just stuck there. But if I switch to WiFi (where available) all is more or less fine, apart from the fact it's terribly slow regardless of connection.
Hardware issue or can I get away with fiddling with settings? think

Turning it off and rebooting doesn't seem to work.

Thanks.
Re: IPhone 6 Mobile Data [message #303039 is a reply to message #303038] Wed, 31 March 2021 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Have you checked for an update as often there's "provider network settings update" that puts the correct settings onto the phone when you update. Even if iOS is already as up to date its possible (iOS12?) itunes sync may find this sort of update for your phone and sim.

Either that, or perhaps google your mobile "provider name + APN settings" and manually check the settings in Mobile data section of Settings

examples of APN settings

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/mobile-internet-apn-setti ngs#BT_Mobile
Re: IPhone 6 Mobile Data [message #303040 is a reply to message #303039] Wed, 31 March 2021 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slaz is currently offline  slaz   United Kingdom
(21) Valentino Rossi
Ive just bought an Iphone 8 plus,its a cracking phone and not to expensive either refurb from Amazon Thumbs Up
Go on treat yourself, Thumbs Up
Re: IPhone 6 Mobile Data [message #303041 is a reply to message #303040] Wed, 31 March 2021 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
I got this this as an upgrade to my current iphone XS Max, its a 12 Pro Max. Its kind off a bribe as work have taken me off the company supplied mobile & contract but giving me £10/month on top of salary and this new phone as a bribe/compensation. Managed to get 40GB, unlimited calls/texts with virgin mobile for £12/month and now at least I can use wifi calling (due to poor signal in my area) + when I called VM to negociate that on top of my TV/Cable/house phone, managed to get Sky Sports (for F1 really) added then a big discount to bring the bill back down to sensible cost/month.

https://i.imgur.com/vawwsDV.jpg

Thing is, I prefer my current XS max as its jailbroken & I've got used to the tweaks I can add. Unfortunatly I think when I got the 12 Max, I let it update itself from ios 14.3 to 14.4 and a few days later, a jailbreak for iOS 14.3 (but no higher) came out and apple stopped signing iOS 14.3...so probably got another 6-12 months before someone will manage to crack ios14.4 Wall

Not much wrong is a ip6 though if all you need today is what you needed 4-5 years ago when it was new although did buy iphone 8 for the Mrs for xmas (used off ebay) for ~£230 mint condition (boxed etc) and she loves it, it was an upgrade from ip6S
Re: IPhone 6 Mobile Data [message #303042 is a reply to message #303038] Thu, 01 April 2021 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(19) John Surtees
Thanks K.
Honestly I don't use the mobile phone much anymore these days apart from work, and even that has pretty much dried up. No real reason to change it and with the hard lockdown set to continue "indefinetely" I see myself using the thing less, if at all. Not really in the mood to spend any money.

There are no updates available in the network settings and pretty much everything is about as up to date as it can be on an iPhone 6. The only think I can think of is the battery starting to influence system performances (it's still on the original one) but I haven't read anything about it.
Re: IPhone 6 Mobile Data [message #303043 is a reply to message #303042] Thu, 01 April 2021 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
In Settings -> GENERNAL -> RESET there's an option to RESET NETWORK SETTINGS that maybe worth trying

Data on the phone will be retained although you'll loose wifi passwords so will need to rejoin any wifi networks you use
Re: IPhone 6 Mobile Data [message #303044 is a reply to message #303043] Thu, 01 April 2021 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yorkie is currently offline  Yorkie   United Kingdom
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
I was looking to upgrade my ip6s in January. I was always on the limit with memory, only 16gb, and the battery was about done for.
Had a look around and for what I use it for I couldn't justify the cost of another IP.
I ended up buying a new, boxed, lower spec Samsung off ebay.
Took a while to get used to Android again but for £120 it serves for my needs.
Most new "phones" now are marketed as camera's, oh, and you can make calls on them as well.
Re: IPhone 6 Mobile Data [message #303045 is a reply to message #303044] Fri, 02 April 2021 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Don't think I;d ever buy an Apple PC or laptop but when it comes to phones I honestly think for most people they are worth it, perhaps not buying new but a well looked after 2/3year old iphone (boxed) can be had for £200-300. I'm fairly sure the Anroid leader (Samsung) top of the range new phones are fairly similar price to top of the range iphones @ around £1k and while I don't like much Apple's way of doing things (paying little tax, closed Appe Store, taking a hefty % of eveything sold on app store/itunes etc), they do offer better protection due to this closed app store.

I once bought a Goole Pixel Android tablet and used to have to sort out issues with my fathers Android phone which always seemed to get plagued by issues with pop ads popping up even straight after a reboot and much of this comes from poor/dodgy apps getting on the Google store or other android app stores as opposed to Apple way which while I doubt they spend the time to vet every single app on their store, I suspect most are run through automated checks and none have the ability to request services or core access to iOS without iOS popping up information about whats requested. I partly undo this proection myself by jailbreaking my iphones (except my latest...so far) as that allows me to install tweaks/addons Apple probably wouldn't approve for the app store, most of which are fine but I try to be careful which I install. With my pixel tablet and my fathers android phone, I quickly tired of trying 4-5 launchers only & apps to find most of them were crap, plagued with ads/popups and so quickly sold the Pixel for an ipad and for the last 2 years my father also on an iphone (one of my old ones) with the result I spend a lot less times sorting out issues he has with the phone.

In short, Android is a worthy alternative to iOS (now that Windows mobile is all but dead) but it has its risks, its owned by Google (well known for harvesting your data, movements etc) and its apps are controlled less vigourously than Apple who while no doubt know a fair bit about me, don't sell that data on as no doubt its worth more internally at Apple than they could get for it on the market.

@Yorkie, mines also a mobile game console, a PC as well as a camera (to the point I no longer own a separate camera) but as you've noticed, it also can apparently make calls although doubt this later ability will ever catch on Grin
Re: IPhone 6 Mobile Data [message #303048 is a reply to message #303045] Sat, 03 April 2021 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
Kerm, I appreciate that the top of the range Samsung is probably in the same ball park figure as the top of the range Iphone, and if you need / want everything they are capable off then there's the choice to be made.
The thing is, I don't.
I use my mobile for text, whatsapp, emails and calls. That's it.
If I want and Iphone for sensible money I have to buy a refurbished, old model, which is possibly half way through its life cycle.
Samsung at least make new, lower spec models. I paid £120 for a new, boxed A41. It comes with 64gb memory, dual sim capable and I stuck an additional 128gb SD card in it for peanuts.
I use Google all the time on the PC so if anyone is sad enough to track the minutia of my hum drum life they will soon be asleep, if their not already snoring :-)
Not saying this is the best route, but I'm far too tech illeterate to know, perhaps Slaz's route with the refubished 8 would have been a better bet.
If only Apple would make a lower spec, new phone, for less money I would have stuck with them, but that wouldn't bring them the profit they want.
Re: IPhone 6 Mobile Data [message #303049 is a reply to message #303048] Sat, 03 April 2021 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Yorkie, sorry I didn't mean to overdo the Apple > Android argument, its a perfectly fine system and your rational for buying new lower end Samsung is understandable and can't really be faulted given your use.

For me while I know tech companies have a fair amount of data on me and thats normal in todays world, I simply prefer Google not to know as much as they'd like to know about me and so try to avoid them as much as possible although Google Search, Google Earth and their Maps app are 3 things I think take some beating and worth it but knowing the bulk of Googles revenue comes from data (not physical devices) makes me more wary of them than say Apple or Samsung. Samsung with newer versions of Android I know are upping their privacy settings and notifications (Apple sort of leading the way on this) and with Samsung being the biggest Smartphone maker, they will be better than others, particullarly the Chinese phones which are often loaded with crap, Samsung less so.

Below is a vague table of who I trust with my data and who I don't Tongue

Least Trust: Google > Facebook > Samsung > Apple > Microsoft > my bank :Most Trust

Re: IPhone 6 Mobile Data [message #303051 is a reply to message #303049] Mon, 05 April 2021 08:39 Go to previous message
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
Kermit wrote on Sat, 03 April 2021 23:13
Yorkie, sorry I didn't mean to overdo the Apple > Android argument, its a perfectly fine system and your rational for buying new lower end Samsung is understandable and can't really be faulted given your use.

Laugh Laugh

No need for any apology Kermit, I'm sorry if my comments came across a little abrupt, that certainly wasn't my intention, just another of the problems associated with text rather than spoken communication.

And YES, I do agree that if we can stop anyone from harvesting data about us then we should do Thumbs Up
Previous Topic: Windscribe
Next Topic: Weather Radar App
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Tue May 17 20:57:29 BST 2022

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01995 seconds