Honda-Forums.com
Home » General » General Discussion » BMW Q
BMW Q [message #303300] Wed, 05 January 2022 20:52 Go to next message
slaz is currently offline  slaz   United Kingdom
(21) Valentino Rossi
One for Kak maybe,or anyone else Wink
On the new bike i got two keys,one like any other key,metal body and plastic handle,
second key,metal body rubber handle,the one with the plastic handle doesnt work,
when its in the ignition and turned on,ESW appears on the dash,but if i use the
rubber handled key everything works ok think
Thanks in advance Baza Thumbs Up
Re: BMW Q [message #303302 is a reply to message #303300] Thu, 06 January 2022 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kakugo is currently offline  Kakugo   Italy
(19) John Surtees
Does it look somewhat like this?

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Nq9nBqf/0/XL/i-Nq9nBqf-XL.jpg

If that so it is the emergency key. They've made it lighter and slimmer over the years to make it easier carrying it in your wallet etc. so if I remember correctly yours should be a bit chunkier.

The EWS is coded in such way to be tripped if there's an extra key near the emergency one, so try using the emergency key after putting your other key away from the bike.

That's the most likely explanation.

More exotic (and unpleasant) explanations are: you have been given a cut key (most likely for the top box) that wasn't encoded at the dealership or you have been given an aftermarket spare key that wasn't encoded. BMW keys are not expensive as Honda ones to buy, but need to be ordered straight from the dealership and have then encode them. I think even my GS911 cannot program one of these keys.
Re: BMW Q [message #303304 is a reply to message #303302] Thu, 06 January 2022 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
Cheers mate for your reply Thumbs Up
The two keys i've shown you are the ones i got with the bike,
rubber on the right,plastic on the left,so if i go to the dealers
they'll sort me out with the correct (plastic key)coded to the bike think
While your here,as you can see on the dash is a yellow triangle with a straight
black line not an exclamation mark,any ideas what it means,as i cant find in on the net Confused
Cheers Baza Wink

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22651&private=0
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22652&private=0
  • Attachment: BMW3.png
    (Size: 44.73KB, Downloaded 341 times)
  • Attachment: bmw 1.png
    (Size: 56.26KB, Downloaded 344 times)
Re: BMW Q [message #303305 is a reply to message #303300] Thu, 06 January 2022 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(19) John Surtees
OK, I understood nothing as is my usual. Laugh

One of those two keys is not a genuine BMW Motorrad key. I'd say the one on the right is a knockoff but the image is too small for my old eyes. God only knows what goes on with those chipped Chinese keys. think Perhaps it was coded but it doesn't work anymore, perhaps it never worked... who knows it.
I think the emergency (plastic) keys are shipped straight from the factory since cutting them is a nightmare (they are made of nylon): the dealer is supposed to ask you for ID and bike documents when ordering so have them at the ready. They are around €50 here.

To get back to your other issue I see a perfectly normal BMW "yellow warning triangle". The level of detail on those older instrument clusters is not the same as that of the present 1250. They are a bit grainy if you know what I mean. Laugh
Basically nothing to worry about: it's supposed to come on and stay on when the EWS is triggered. Start worrying when that triangle turns red. Laugh
Re: BMW Q [message #303306 is a reply to message #303305] Thu, 06 January 2022 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
Cheers mate, dare i ask,oh go on then,whats with the RED triangle eek
Re: BMW Q [message #303307 is a reply to message #303306] Fri, 07 January 2022 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
Morning all apologies first I got the keys mixed up the one on the right is the nylon one
both have the BMW logo stamped on them 🤔
Let’s talk oil, bloody confusing to me, full v semi, 15/50 v 10/40,it all depends on what forum you go on 🙄🤯
Cheers in advance 👍
Re: BMW Q [message #303308 is a reply to message #303300] Fri, 07 January 2022 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(19) John Surtees
And now I am even more confused than I was before. Laugh

Red triangle = £££

Best case scenario, you have a flat tyre. Worst case scenario, the charging system is dead. In between: oil pressure is low.
Technically speaking I've only seen a couple of dead alternators on post-2005 bikes: 80% of the time the bike doesn't charge because the belt has snapped or has jumped. It's a service item for a reason, but most people think belts last forever so it can happen.
Oil consumption on these air/oil cooled bikes is weird. Technically they all burn oil, but some do so far less than the others and apart from that after 60,000km they all start using far less oil. Most bikes can easily go between services without any need to top the oil since consumption is minimal. At most go for a ride, then before turning the bike off check oil pressure on the computer. If it says OK, don't bother checking.

Oil grade... air/oil bikes started off with 15W-50, then shifted to 10W-40 in 2010. There's no big technical reason apart from Castrol (at the time the sole BMW vendor) having come up with a 10W-40 that cut oil consumption at high temperatures. They run equally well on both grades. BMW has used both Castrol and Shell as vendors over the years if we want to nitpick. Laugh
Most important lubes on those bikes are transmission and brake fluids, but we'll talk about that when needed.
Re: BMW Q [message #303309 is a reply to message #303308] Fri, 07 January 2022 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
C’mon give me the transmission info please 🤔
BTW the front brake is built for “ Stoppies” the back is crap 🙄
Thanks for your your input mate 👏👍

PS you said start worrying in the yellow triangle turns Red 😉🤷‍♂️
Re: BMW Q [message #303310 is a reply to message #303309] Fri, 07 January 2022 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
After the transmission info we'er on to
Alarms and remotes,the problem is i havent a remote eek
Re: BMW Q [message #303311 is a reply to message #303310] Sat, 08 January 2022 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
slaz wrote on Fri, 07 January 2022 22:18
Don’t worry about the alarm I haven’t got one 🙄🤦‍♂️
Re: BMW Q [message #303312 is a reply to message #303311] Sat, 08 January 2022 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yorkie is currently offline  Yorkie   United Kingdom
(8) Moto2 GP Racer
slaz wrote on Sat, 08 January 2022 13:43
slaz wrote on Fri, 07 January 2022 22:18
Don’t worry about the alarm I haven’t got one 🙄🤦‍♂️
That could explain the lack of a remote Laugh
Re: BMW Q [message #303313 is a reply to message #303300] Sat, 08 January 2022 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(19) John Surtees
BMW introduced a "low viscosity" DOT4 break fluid in 2012 after it became apparent the old fluids were causing brake fade on some models. I experienced it. It's not pleasant. Laugh
A ¼ liter container is €6.50 or so including VAT so there's no point using aftermarket stuff. Code is 83132467961 and should be exactly what your bike is on now.

Air/oil cooled boxers had linked brakes but differently from Honda's and water cooled boxers they use the rear caliper just to avoid having the rear "jump forward". That rear caliper is tiny, basically built to save weight, and to make matters worse the OE brake pads (Brembo) are intended for longevity, not stopping power. You can improve things a lot with aftermarket brake pads: Carbone Lorraine (now sold as CL Brakes) have long been the #1 choice for BMW but SBS and Braking also work very well. Also check rotor wear with an internal micrometer if the bike has anything more than 30,000 miles. Again to save weight Brembo used very light stuff that may wear out quickly. Again, if you need replacement look up Braking rotors: that's what I fit to my old bike and they are far superior to both OE and cheap junk like EBC.

Now let's talk transmission. You have to replace oil in both the manual transmission (gearbox) and the final transmission (stuff attached to the rear wheel).
Both have 24,000 miles service intervals and both take a lubricant BMW calls internally "Synthetic OSP", which is really nothing more than Castrol Syntrax 75W-90 in a different bottle. Should you not like the way the bike shifts gears, there was an internal BMW bulletin recommending using Syntrax 75W-140 in the gearbox only. Don't use this heavier grade in the final transmission. No Finger
The final transmission is a bit of pain to fill: a large syringe like that used to bleed and fill MTB brakes may help a lot. Thumbs Up
Re: BMW Q [message #303317 is a reply to message #303313] Sat, 08 January 2022 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
clap Huge thanks mate,for the expert info and for you taking the time to reply,
gearbox is as they say agricultural but i knew that,i'm going to try Syntrax 75W-140
and see if that helps,
I think that'll do for now,these Beemers are bloody expensive hobby are'nt they,
but one hell of a bike Thumbs Up
Thanks again Baza Thumbs Up

Just remembered engine oil,would you recommend fully synth,or semi synth think

PS Yorkie spank Tongue Laugh
Re: BMW Q [message #303318 is a reply to message #303300] Sat, 08 January 2022 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(19) John Surtees
Actually besides rear brake pads the watercooled boxer may be the cheapest bike to run I've ever owned.

Ops, said too much too soon. Blush
Re: BMW Q [message #303321 is a reply to message #303318] Sun, 09 January 2022 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
Cheers Kak, I’m going to have a go at rear pads, final drive oil, and re grease rear splines, any advice
on which order to start 🤔🤷‍♂️
Re: BMW Q [message #303322 is a reply to message #303321] Sun, 09 January 2022 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(19) John Surtees
slaz wrote on Sun, 09 January 2022 11:33
Cheers Kak, I’m going to have a go at rear pads, final drive oil, and re grease rear splines, any advice
on which order to start 🤔🤷‍♂️
I've never touched the rear splines on any boxer I've owned. You can do away with that since rear drive design radically changed post-2004 and again post-2013 and apart from fluid change every 24,000 miles and regular bearing checks (basically see how much freeplay the wheel has) it's a no-service item.

Change rear pads when they are worn out, easy. Wink It's pretty easy to check wear by looking from behind with a flashlight.

In short leave it as it is right now unless transmission fluid is due for a change. If you really have time on your hands you can check the catalythic converter for rust and rot: there have been several istances of rot on pre-2013 before Lanfranconi (the BMW vendor) amended their chrome plating process to suit high temperature cats. In that case, just keep it well cleaned, especially during the Winter when there's salt on the road: hosing it down 30 minutes or so after a ride is usually enough to avoid further damage.
Re: BMW Q [message #303323 is a reply to message #303322] Sun, 09 January 2022 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
The problem I have is there’s no service history,the garage didn’t
know anything about the bike,that’s why I thought of a bit of a service.
Just on the clunky gears I thought fresh oil, and freshly greased splines
might help, but then again I know FA about them, what’s your take on it 🤔
Re: BMW Q [message #303325 is a reply to message #303300] Sun, 09 January 2022 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(19) John Surtees
Rear drive spline maintenance is something our friends from the other side of the Pond seem obsessed with. As said I've never done it, and it's a procedure post-2004 BMW workshop manuals don't even contemplate. Save yourself the trouble.

The gearbox... honestly I've always really really liked BMW gearboxes. It's all a matter of adjusting your brain: remember you are conceptually closer to a car or an old Ducati than to any Japanese bike from the past 30 years. Wink If you want to give Syntrax 75W-140 a go, look up how much it is before committing to buy. Hypoid gear fluid has never been cheap.

Oh and remember the bike will tell you when it needs to be serviced: the "service remainder " (aka Dealer's Extorsion Light) will go off 6,000 miles or one year after the last service, whichever comes first. It can only be reset with a dealer's diagnostic tool or a GS911 so you'll know if the bike hasn't been serviced.
Re: BMW Q [message #303326 is a reply to message #303325] Sun, 09 January 2022 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
Kakugo wrote on Sun, 09 January 2022 20:33
Rear drive spline maintenance is something our friends from the other side of the Pond seem obsessed with. As said I've never done it, and it's a procedure post-2004 BMW workshop manuals don't even contemplate. Save yourself the trouble.

The gearbox... honestly I've always really really liked BMW gearboxes. It's all a matter of adjusting your brain: remember you are conceptually closer to a car or an old Ducati than to any Japanese bike from the past 30 years. Wink If you want to give Syntrax 75W-140 a go, look up how much it is before committing to buy. Hypoid gear fluid has never been cheap.

Oh and remember the bike will tell you when it needs to be serviced: the "service remainder " (aka Dealer's Extorsion Light) will go off 6,000 miles or one year after the last service, whichever comes first. It can only be reset with a dealer's diagnostic tool or a GS911 so you'll know if the bike hasn't been serviced.
Cheers brother,a virtual "man hug" and beer on me Beet #1 Fluffle
Re: BMW Q [message #303328 is a reply to message #303326] Mon, 10 January 2022 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Yorkie is currently offline  Yorkie   United Kingdom
(8) Moto2 GP Racer

That's two virtual "man hugs" and two beers as I'm closely following this thread Beet #1
Previous Topic: Best Wishes
Next Topic: GT5
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Tue May 17 21:07:44 BST 2022

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07788 seconds