Advice Please [message #303604] Fri, 17 June 2022 11:40 Go to next message
slaz is currently offline  slaz   United Kingdom
(21) Valentino Rossi
Hi folks its been a while eh,i think we're nearly full Laugh
D'you think the Youtube vid is the way to go think
Cheers Baza

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22688&private=0

&t=744s
Re: Advice Please [message #303606 is a reply to message #303604] Fri, 17 June 2022 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
(22) Giacomo Agostini
More or less yes. This is what I do once a month on our office pc and servers [after I've installed that months Windows updates] to be sure they're kept running well and I'm not backing up crap. This doesn't loose anything, it just cleans up old updates/temp files/crap

1) Run Ccleaner - untick boxes for things like browser history (unless you've been to rude sites) and cookies (which keep you logged into your favourite m/c form and others). Most of the rest of the defaults are fine
2) Right-click My PC/This PC and choose Properties -> Look for the System Protection link, open and with your C drive highlighted, click Configure and DELETE - note this removes restore points so ensure PC working well to your satisfaction although I do this often as System Restore is for dummys, uninstalling unwanted/unliked programs and not breaking things in the first place is better Grin
3) Open Explorer and right-click on C drive and choose properties -> Find disk cleanup and click -> if Cleanup System Files is another button, click that then select as below

this is mine now (windows 11, Win10 almost idential minus rounded corners on things) and is quite low for total for entries like Windows Updates/Delivery Optimisation as ran it not so long ago and this delivery optimisation (like a cache of updates for other PCs on your network...not needed) and Windows updates (the files replaced by newer ones from Microsoft) are just the totals of this months Windows. I'm hopefull your Windows updates section maybe 6GB or more and delivery optinsation 1GB+
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22689&private=0 /forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22690&private=0

Windows Update and Delivery Optimisaton files usually clear the most, the Windows update cleanup may take some time.

After you've done that, post back how much free space you've then got.

If still not enough, then you'll probably want to move or archive larger files such as videos to an alternative location.

Note, its best practive to keep at least 10% free disk space so on your SSD, try keep free space above 20GB or the SSD will wear out quicker than ideal

If your still struggling, I still see you on Teamviewer from time to time so don't mind helping out remotely
Re: Advice Please [message #303607 is a reply to message #303606] Fri, 17 June 2022 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
My System Restore - Didn't realise I had 8GB wasted there although I have 100GB+ free on the C drive so not so desparate to clear it now

Note, this will grow up to its limit everytime you install Windows updates (always a good idea every second Weds of a month) or install/update new programs. If disk space an issue, lower the limit to 5GB as that way it'll not get too big and still give you enough recent restore points should you ever need them

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22691&private=0
Re: Advice Please [message #303608 is a reply to message #303607] Sat, 18 June 2022 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
Thanks for the info K it sounds a breeze,I’ll have a go tonight so stay off the Gin 🤣
Cheers Baza 🤘😎
Re: Advice Please [message #303610 is a reply to message #303608] Sun, 19 June 2022 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
Had a little go today think
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22692&private=0

I could'nt find
Windows Update and Delivery Optimisaton wether thats because ive deleted Bing and Windows Edge think
  • Attachment: Disc 2.jpg
    (Size: 12.59KB, Downloaded 79 times)
Re: Advice Please [message #303611 is a reply to message #303610] Sun, 19 June 2022 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
Found it,,,,,,,,,,,,, Windows Update and Delivery Optimisation Blush Blush
Re: Advice Please [message #303613 is a reply to message #303611] Sun, 19 June 2022 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
23GB not bad, what was it after you ticked to remove Windows Updates and Delivery Optimisation in Disk Cleanup?
Re: Advice Please [message #303614 is a reply to message #303613] Mon, 20 June 2022 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
Yes mate Thumbs Up
Re: Advice Please [message #303615 is a reply to message #303613] Mon, 20 June 2022 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
Yes mate I’ve also changed the disc space usage to 5 gb 👍
Re: Advice Please [message #303616 is a reply to message #303615] Mon, 20 June 2022 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
that'll keep you going till next months windows updates then repeat

May be worth searching your PC for any particullar large files you no longer need or can stick on the backup disk

Tree size (its free) is good for finding large folders and then the files within them. Windows itself will probably be the largest but follow the large ones to see what you can find

https://customers.jam-software.de/downloadTrial.php?language =EN&article_no=80
Re: Advice Please [message #303617 is a reply to message #303616] Mon, 20 June 2022 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
Kermit wrote on Mon, 20 June 2022 16:54
that'll keep you going till next months windows updates then repeat

May be worth searching your PC for any particullar large files you no longer need or can stick on the backup disk

Tree size (its free) is good for finding large folders and then the files within them. Windows itself will probably be the largest but follow the large ones to see what you can find

https://customers.jam-software.de/downloadTrial.php?language =EN&article_no=80
Cheers i wonder if there's a program for sorting out duplicate photos think
Re: Advice Please [message #303618 is a reply to message #303617] Mon, 20 June 2022 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(21) Valentino Rossi
TreeSizeScan

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22693&private=0

As you can imagine it means bugga all to me Blush Laugh
Re: Advice Please [message #303620 is a reply to message #303618] Wed, 22 June 2022 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
Re Treesize - Your Windows and ProgramData/ProgramFiles folders are normal sort of sizes. The bulk of your data (157.5GB) is as expected in C:\Users and if you click that and into your name and other subfolders, you can look at the size of each folder (and folders/files within it) to determine where he bulk of the data taking up space lies.

No doubt most of it will be in your \Pictures, \Videos and \Music folders but it does help working down each folder to see whats where, what size it is and then open those folders and figure out if you've left anything huge thats not needed

re: Duplicate photos, there probably are programs out there to help with that or yuo could try this

Open Pictures (assuming you keep all images in this folder and its subfolders) then assuming they are all .jpg files (usually are), do a search for *.jpg which will make a huge list of files in your pictures folder and its subfolder. Click the VIEW icon to change to detailed view and sort by name (click the top of the name column)

You should now have something like this. As you can see I highlighted what will be a duplicate image on mine as its same file name, date and file size. I don't have many dupes but I recall copy/pasting images to that \To Print As of 30.5.05\ folder and guess I forgot to delete the folder afterwards

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22694&private=0

In general, when moving images, videos, music around between folders on a PC, use CUT and paste not COPY and paste as a) they'll move instantly and b) you'll end up with less duplicates

If you perhaps going to edit an image and want to retain the original eg to make smaller for web upload ewtc, then sometimes I do take a copy to a different folder, edit, resize etc then save knowing I can save the new smaller less detailed image knowing I have a safe original copy

Re: Advice Please [message #303621 is a reply to message #303620] Wed, 22 June 2022 13:59 Go to previous message
(22) Giacomo Agostini
For info, this is how I arrange mine manually...just by Year as its too much faff creating \Xmas 2010\, \Easter 2015\ type folders and usually easy enough to find something by year with the odd exception like the Wedding one

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=22695&private=0
Previous Topic: cbf 600 engine removal
Next Topic: Microsoft Fix It's for common issues
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Tue Aug 16 12:11:41 BST 2022

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03335 seconds